Things You Learn with Experience

mattmdv

7 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Two weeks before traveling, double-check that your documents (passport or ID/BC) are in order.  

Make that two months - tough (and costly) to renew you passport at the last minute if you find it has expired  - or to get a birth certificate if you old one has crumbled to dust.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

I've no idea what that is.  ?

The latest (in my mind unnecessary) “must have”:  a multi-pocket shoe bag to hold small things you probably will never need but cannot seem to travel without - made of clear (not “cleave”) plastic so you can see all the junk in it.

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The latest (in my mind unnecessary) “must have”:  a multi-pocket shoe bag to hold small things you probably will never need but cannot seem to travel without - made of clear (not “cleave”) plastic so you can see all the junk in it.

LAUGH. OUT. LOUD.  It was "cleave" that befuddled me.  Thanks.  And, yeah, I don't need those things.

I don't use a checklist.

I mentally dress for the trip.

Like was getting dressed in the morning.  As I mentally "put it on" I add it to the suitcase.  When I get to socks and outer wear, I decide what I need for various activities.  Dressy? Casual? Sporty? Specialty (swim wear, work gear, etc). 

For toiletries, I have a set that stays packed.  I just top up the shampoo and Q-tips, and check the others that there is enough.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Biggest travel lesson, I learned early. BE PREPARED! If it can go wrong, it might! Late flights, cancelled flights, car trouble, etc. Have credit/cash available for emergencies and be ready to roll with the punches.

This is the most important and best travel advice.  Four decades of extensive travel for business and pleasure taught me to be not only prepared but self-contained, independent as much as possible, and to rely on others as little as possible. When in a foreign country, U.S.A. excepted, I carry my passport and sufficient local cash to get to the nearest airport and have more than enough room on my credit cards to fly anywhere in the world in any fare category at a moment's notice.   

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, iancal said:

Go with the flow.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Simply because it is the way we dress or do things at home does not mean that the rest of the world should follow suit.

The MDR, onboard free eating venues, etc. do NOT cook food too YOUR specs  merely to the public food safety  standards (Hopefully) so, with that fact in mind, sit back, relax and ENJOY.

Mac

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Loved having this when we shared a room with kids when they were little.  Very helpful in keeping everything for 4 people organized.  With just 2 in a room now, it is not needed.

I personally have travel bags that I keep filled with our travel supplies at all time.  I replace anything that needs to be replaced when we return home.  Makes it easy to grab and go.  I have one for medical/first aid.  One for DH's  toiletries and one for mine.  I also have one for recharging cords/batteries.  I have a shelving unit in my closet to store these bags on as well as other travel items such as cruise luggage tag holders, clip on key chain for my S&S card, binoculars, cards, travel jewelry bag, travel RX bag, travel umbrella, travel purse and back pack, etc.  Makes packing much easier when it is just grab and go.  I replenish things as needed when I return from a trip and find them on sale.

I have super strong but tiny magnetic hooks that I love -- can hang wet items on a hanger from the ceiling by the air vent to dry more quickly.

If you're going to want to use the pool, etc., the first afternoon, pack your water essentials in your carry-on in case your luggage doesn't arrive right away (flip-flops, swimsuit, cover-up, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, whatever).  

Unless you're carrying your bags off the ship yourself at the end of the cruise, plan ahead for the last night/morning -- toiletries, pajamas, clothing for last day, etc.  

Familiarize yourself beforehand with what eateries/activities are included in your cruise fare and what will incur an additional fee to avoid unexpected expenses, and what is generally open/available at any given time.  I'm always amazed to learn how many people don't realize that the MDR is open for lunch on sea days (on Royal) -- it's not open for lunch the very first day, so people just assume it's never open for lunch. 

Along the lines of the paragraph above about what eateries are open.... READ YOUR DAILY NEWSLETTER!   It will tell you what time the various eateries are open, what activities are happening and where, what time you can get off the ship in port, what time you have to be back on the ship, the Port Agent's contact information in case you have a problem in port, etc.  You can ignore the various sale flyers if you want, but you really should read the "news" part of the it!

If you have a problem with ANY employee or part of the ship, TELL SOMEONE so they can resolve the issue.  Likewise, if you don't like your tablemates at dinner, ask to be moved to another table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmoothFlying said:

The MDR, onboard free eating venues, etc. do NOT cook food too YOUR specs  merely to the public food safety  standards (Hopefully) so, with that fact in mind, sit back, relax and ENJOY.

Mac

Will be doing our first Oceania cruise in December and their GDR/MDR does cook to order!

17 hours ago, retiredgram said:

On your check list, I noticed you had "Plug the Dog in" . What is this??

We have an electronic barking German Shepard. It detects anything coming to our front door. The closer someone get to it the faster and louder it barks. Get real close and it is viscous. A sign says beware of dog.

• Haha 1

If you fly to port, unless you simply can't because of logistics plan an extra day on fly-in, don't fly in day of sailing, if you have connections allow a couple hours.  Missing a connection and then missing flight in can be an issue, the ship always sails.    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

We have an electronic barking German Shepard. It detects anything coming to our front door. The closer someone get to it the faster and louder it barks. Get real close and it is viscous. A sign says beware of dog.

I just put a picture of my ex wife on the lawn and that keeps people away

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, clo said:

Will be doing our first Oceania cruise in December and their GDR/MDR does cook to order!

Wow !!! Lucky YOU !!! That's A TOP tier cruise line (probably up there with Seven Seas) for sure !! I can't even afford Princess !! PLEASE have a wonderful cruise !!

Mac 

41 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Wow !!! Lucky YOU !!! That's A TOP tier cruise line (probably up there with Seven Seas) for sure !! I can't even afford Princess !! PLEASE have a wonderful cruise !!

Mac 

You might be surprised if you haven't checked them out previously.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/

They have various incentives and the four specialty restaurants are no extra charge.

I always have a To Do list and a packing list. The To Do list includes things like putting notices on credit cards, setting out of office on my e-mail...as well as the big-ticket stuff like "get a flight". I pack everything in cubes an am very diligent about making sure that everything's crossed off as it goes in. I still manage to forget something, though, every time. Sigh.

My packing list includes things like packing cubes, a hanging toiletry bag, travel hangers (extra hangers to hang up clothes or to put swimsuits on), and plastic luggage tag holders for the cruise.

Of course, always fly in at least a day early.

I get everything sorted out online beforehand, in terms of drinks packages, dinner reservations, anything.

7 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

Mac

Huh, my experience is different.  If ordering steak it is common to be asked how you want it cooked?  Even some of the buffet grills do that.  Are you talking about other foods?