Things You Learn with Experience

mattmdv

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Huh, my experience is different.  If ordering steak it is common to be asked how you want it cooked?  Even some of the buffet grills do that.  Are you talking about other foods?   

Well, actually the only time I've ordered something meat-wise (steak) was in the specialty restaurant and of course they're the ones who ask 'rare, med or well' never had steak in the MDR because usually its a flat-iron steak and usually no matter the doneness, it can be tough. We've always eaten at least one dinner in the steak house on every cruise and the sirloins are cooked too perfection and so tender So come our next cruise I'll try the MDR meat wise and see if they are . I've never been disappointed in any meal at either location and did have the prime rib in the MDR at Xmas last year and it very good.

Mac

2 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

usually its a flat-iron steak and usually no matter the doneness, it can be tough

It should be served cut across the grain.  It's not a tender cut but is flavorful.  But it's got to sliced right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

It should be served cut across the grain.  It's not a tender cut but is flavorful.  But it's got to sliced right.

I assumed (and I KNOW what can happen when you do that !😨) but I hope that's the way ihey've cut it.I'll try it gain this Christmas if its on the menu.

Mac

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmoothFlying said:

Well, actually the only time I've ordered something meat-wise (steak) was in the specialty restaurant and of course they're the ones who ask 'rare, med or well' never had steak in the MDR because usually its a flat-iron steak and usually no matter the doneness, it can be tough. We've always eaten at least one dinner in the steak house on every cruise and the sirloins are cooked too perfection and so tender So come our next cruise I'll try the MDR meat wise and see if they are . I've never been disappointed in any meal at either location and did have the prime rib in the MDR at Xmas last year and it very good.

Mac

One thing for sure, the quality of steak (cuts of meat) in the MDR has declined over the years.   The MDR will cook your steak to order, but I suspect you will be disappointed with the quality compared to the specialty restaurant.   

This has not been posted as of yet, so let me be the guy.

We were offered an outstanding drop and go sale on a 10 day cruise down Mexico from San Pedro.  We jumped on it.

The flight we could get was same day.  It was summer time, weather was good, no storms in sight, so we signed up

Now, you probably guessed where this is going, right?  We arrived at airport at 7:00AM for a 9:00AM flight.  Delta started to post 30 minute delay notices and finally cancelled the fight at 1:00pm.  We scrambled and got onto a 3:00PM flight that arrived at LA Airport at 5:00PM and the ship sailed at 4:00PM.  We had contacted the Cruise line 3 different times reporting that we were being delayed so they were aware that we were having transportation problems. 

Long story short we chased the ship and caught up with it 3 days later.  

Last time we traveled same day to catch a ship. 

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

Last time we traveled same day to catch a ship. 

Bob

Ouch !!😥 It (almost) happened to us ) I had just retired from Delta w/29 years when we decided to take a 7 day cruise out of Miami. Retired employees can still fly standby BUT..And there's 'always' a but in every story, right? We fall wayyyyy down on the standby list, just above buddy passes: tickets bought from employees at a reduced price. Which means IF there's any active employees listed on the flight they board first, then IF there are any seats left, retirees are boarded by seniority. Hmmm..Checking the flights three days before the cruise we decided too 'try' and fly out of Atlanta  the day before the cruise at about 11 a.m. Flights didn't look that heavy. Got to ATL and BAM!! You guessed it, ALL flights after 1 pm were booked w/later flights (5 pm till the last, overbooked) Sooo, time for plan B😜 Which meant going back home about 4 pm, loading the car and driving halfway to Miami (my wife doesn't drive very well at night) so we stopped for the night at an motel bout 11 pm just across the Fla line, got up at 5 am, drove like crazy, but ran into a blinding rain storm 30 miles north of Miami, got to the airport at 2 pm for our pre paid cruise shuttle and boarded the ship just before 3 pm. Frist thing my wife said was,  Whewwww !! I NEED a drink !'. I knew exactly how she felt. I ALMOST started drinking, again. LOLLLLLLLLLL ! The rest of the cruise was relaxing,thank goodness, we'd had enough excitment for one week !

Mac

• Like 1

I have a password app on my phone (1password) and you can also use it to store critical information. I have info for three credit cards, card numbers and emergency phone numbers. Pictures of our passports, drivers license and so on.

Another thing I finally remembered to do was take a picture on my phone of my license plate. I can't tell you how many times I have to walk back out to my car when checking into our hotel. My memory is good, just short.

Research the current rules and status of any ship. Things change and what was available or the correct procedure may have changed since the last time you were on the ship or cruiseline.  That's why even "accurate" and well intended advice can be wrong.