Wheelchair on tender?

SusieCruises

Good morning everyone....I am wondering if anyone has any experience with taking a wheelchair on a tender? We are going on the PRINCESS ROYAL  in Sept and our only port is Cabo. I use a scooter but my family thinks I should also rent a wheelchair to be able to get off in Cabo. From what I have read on the Princess info pages, boarding the tender is at the discretion of the Captain....weather, etc. Has anyone ever done it? I got off in Belize with a wheelchair and also on Carnival's and Royal's private islands. This is my first cruise with Princess. My family will get the chair (and me!) off and on.....we will not expect any help from the crew. 

Thank you for any experiences you can share so I can plan accordingly.

I have been on the Royal Princess in February and March of this year on the 49 day cruise around South America. I had polio as a child. I was using a travelscoot brand scooter at the time. It is a very lightweight scooter that completely collapses. I have never been refused a tender ride on Princess. However you must be able to go down (and back up) at least three or four steps from the tender pier to the tender. The crew are able to offer you an arm to assist you but you must be able to bear your weight as they assist you. Even if your family offers to lift you it will not happen. Also if the seas are rough then all wheelchair/scooter transfers will be stopped. That said, I have stopped going on tenders as my condition has progressed. I choose to stay on-board and enjoy the empty ship.

Thanks for responding. I can walk up or down a few steps if I have to.  I use a scooter on the ship and in the ports and never had an issue. I am just concerned about the tender. The 'official' paperwork says you can't take a scooter or wheelchair on a tender. I can understand about the scooter...(I have a Pride GoGo and it does fold down but it is still too clumsy to get in and out of a tender). I can survive without going to Cabo....LOL....but my granddaughter is getting married on the cruise and wanted to plan something in Cabo for all of the family to do together. Its the first time for a lot of us Michigan people cruising out of California. But it is not worth taking the chance of getting left behind in Cabo if the water gets choppy. So I think I will be enjoying the peace and quiet of the empty cruise ship while everyone is in Cabo. Thank you for sharing your experience on Princess! I appreciate you talking the time to answer. 

Here I am going ashore in Kona. I was able to walk a few steps and the crew helped me all the way, on both ends. Always check with guest services to see how accessible the port facilities are.

Tendering.JPG

• Like 1

Nice picture! Thank you for sharing. I am glad you had the opportunity to go ashore. I am back to sitting on the fence about getting off the ship. I know I can't take my scooter, and I would have to rent a wheelchair for the one port. I am trying to decide if it is worth taking the chance of being able to get off in Cabo......I sure don't want to rent a chair and then find out I can't get off anyway.

I really appreciate everyone who is taking the time to share THEIR experience. That's why I love Cruise Critic.....everyone is always so helpful!

We have sailed on Princess to Cabo several times.  I am permanently confined to my wheelchair.  I cannot walk or stand.  You are correct when you state that it is at the captains discretion.  We always send a letter to the captain when we board with the weight of me and my chair and pictures of past tender rides.  Through the years we have been told no only a few times.  We never book excursions on tender days just to make sure.  We make the best of the situation no matter what.

Thanks for responding! I usually book cruises that are 6 days or more.....so we have more than one port. Even on the longer cruises I often stay on board if it is a port I have visited several times before or just don't care for. I am not at all bothered by staying on the ship. This is my first time visiting Cabo so I was curious, but I will always opt for safety over anything else. Since I bring my own scooter, I would have to RENT a wheelchair to get off the ship in Cabo if it was allowed. I don't really want to do that if there is a possibility of not even using it. So, I will be looking for a nice spot to read or play trivia or meet new people. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond! 

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who posted in this topic. Just returned from our cruise and we ended up renting a wheelchair for the Cabo stop. The crew and my family was very helpful getting me and the chair on and off the tender. I was able to see everything I wanted to see. There are several stores/buildings that you can't get into with a scooter or wheelchair.....too many stairs or difficult doorways to enter. And getting off and on the ship was tough because you must be able to walk up and down several steps. But if you have some mobility, it can be done and as I said, the crew is very helpful and patient helping you navigate the stairs. 

Happy Cruising everyone! 

• Like 3