Formal nights - does everyone do it?

Sailing on independence this weekend. I can’t stand formal things; dress shoes make up tights blah blah. I have two kids who are also unbothered. I just read a thread on here commenting that people who sail  out of Southampton really go for it on formal nights eg tuxedos.

my question is,  does everyone dress up? What sort of % don’t? If it’s 50/50 then it doesn’t bother me to stay in my trousers and tops combos in the windjammer as I don’t do the restaurants anyway....but if I’m going to be the only one looking dressed up I may have to pack a dress! 

Can i I have the benefit of your experiences on this ship out of Southampton pls? 

On our experience when cruising from Southampton we think we have only ever seen about 25% of gentlemen in tuxedos and maybe the same in a suit.

Ladies probably about half “dressed up”

You will certainly not be out of place in a nice trouser and top combo especially if dining in our opinion in the excellent windjammer.

Our last TA on Independence from Southampton was a 180 degree shift from sailing in the Caribbean.  I would guess 75% were dressed in a Tux or Suit, also saw more Kilts then any time in the past.  Last sailing in the Caribbean there were shorts and T'S in the dining room on formal night.  Kudos to Brits that get dressed for the occasion. 

• Like 2

I recently disembarked IOTS sailing from Southampton to the Canary Islands.

In the past my limited experience of three previous cruises on her there were lots more tuxedo and lounge suit wearing gentlemen plus nice evening dresses for ladies but on this particular cruise there were definitely not so many maybe a quarter at best.

This was commented on by a number of other cruises.

So I’m thinking maybe it’s a time of year and age of the passengers related thing.

I don't do formal nights.  I wear suits to work every day and don't want to be doing it on my vacation.  And we travel from Kuwait to the US for an extended vacation (4 - 5 weeks) so the last thing I want to worry about is a suit that I will wear once or twice in that period.  I either dine at speciality restaurants or windjammer or Johnny Rockets - or even room service - on formal nights. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nalrudaini said:

I don't do formal nights.  I wear suits to work every day and don't want to be doing it on my vacation.  And we travel from Kuwait to the US for an extended vacation (4 - 5 weeks) so the last thing I want to worry about is a suit that I will wear once or twice in that period.  I either dine at speciality restaurants or windjammer or Johnny Rockets - or even room service - on formal nights. 

And have you sailed on the Independence out of Southampton recently?

Just to echo what has been said above. I find that on any RCL ship out if Southampton, the percentage of 'truly,' formally dressed guests is way higher than out of any other port I've sailed from. On Explorer last month, l would guesstimate 80% in tuxes/ suits, the ladies similarly. 

I also wear a suit every day for work, but that doesn't stop me donning the tux on formal nights.

Whether it's from Southampton or flying to Miami for a Caribbean cruise I still take the same number of Tux's.

My wife love to dress up and I always like to compliment her with my dress attire. Works wonders back in the cabin later!!!! 

Edited by Esprit
typo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nicdigby said:

Sailing on independence this weekend. I can’t stand formal things; dress shoes make up tights blah blah. I have two kids who are also unbothered. I just read a thread on here commenting that people who sail  out of Southampton really go for it on formal nights eg tuxedos.

my question is,  does everyone dress up? What sort of % don’t? If it’s 50/50 then it doesn’t bother me to stay in my trousers and tops combos in the windjammer as I don’t do the restaurants anyway....but if I’m going to be the only one looking dressed up I may have to pack a dress! 

Can i I have the benefit of your experiences on this ship out of Southampton pls? 

We dress smart every night and on Formal nights probably 75% of men wear suits or Tux out of Southampton.

We have sailed several times on Independence from Southampton most recently end of May.

Personally on RCCL I now leave a Jacket at home and wear a long sleeve shirt and tie with cufflinks and dress trousers with smart shoes.

Hope you have a great cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, little britain said:

Out of Southampton my experience is 80% + will be dressed for formal night. 

I would agree with this, only beaten when we sailed out of Dubai with Royal and it was almost 100% formal both nights even in the Windjammer.

11 hours ago, Nicdigby said:

What's  hubby wearing. ? 

13 hours ago, Nicdigby said:

Oh what a pain! Thanks though 

If you're in Southampton you have time to nip up to Gunwharf and buy something new!!!

And once your kids see the other kids all dressed up they will not want to be left out....it is amazing what creations 12yr olds get themselves into these days!!

Perfect opportunity for some great family photos too

We get on board her in 3 weeks and I already took out Hubbies Tux and sorted out my long dresses ready to pack.

Hubby wears a suit to work to and loves to dress up when on holiday and I like to see him dressed up to. I also love to wear a nice dress in the evening,  formal night or smart casual. Though the formal ones are more dressy than the others.

Next year we're on Equinox and it will be odd not to take his tux with us as I've read they don't dress up as much on Celebrity.

That said he will be in a nice smart shirt and dark trousers what ever night it is.

What ever you decide to wear i'm guessing will be fine, just take what you are comfortable wearing.

Enjoy your time on her.

Jules

On Explorer at the moment - sailing from Southampton.  We just had our first formal night and I would say a least 80 percent of men in the dining room were wearing tux and the ladies were equally dressed to the nines.   I would have to say if anything it is more formal now than it was a few years ago.  

Windjammer was less formal but I do think even in there people tend to dress up a bit more on formal nights.  Maybe not tux and long gown but there were plenty of nice sparkly tops and cocktail dresses.  There were of course people wearing t-shirts and shorts too.  It really is up to you - wear what you feel comfortable in.

Edited by livylotte

I haven't dressed up for a formal night in years.  You can go to the Windjammer if you wish but what we do is go to a specialty restaurant.  They are always "smart" casual.  I know a lot of people don't dress up for formal night but go to the main dinning room anyway, but I think it is not respectful to the passengers who do dress up.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DougMacP said:

I haven't dressed up for a formal night in years.  You can go to the Windjammer if you wish but what we do is go to a specialty restaurant.  They are always "smart" casual.  I know a lot of people don't dress up for formal night but go to the main dinning room anyway, but I think it is not respectful to the passengers who do dress up.  

How many times recently have you sailed from Southampton???

asking for a friend ...