transfer from London airport to Southhampton port

Hello all,

We are considering a cruise out of Southhampton on Royal Caribbean next summer.  We have limited international travel experience(largely just the Caribbean)  How difficult is it to get from Heathrow Airport to SOuthhampton port?  How do you recommend we get there?  Public transport, Trains, taxi, Etc.  And how long a drive is it?  If coming the day before, should we stay in London or Southhampton?

THanks in advance for any help.

Edited by dolphinod

We booked the transfer with Royal Caribbean on the same day of the cruise. They brought us with a private car to Southampton. The drive was 1:50 hours. The way back we went by bus, it took us the same time or maybe a few minutes more...

We just did this in July.

If you are coming in just the day before, I would suggest staying in Southampton. We stayed at the Holiday Inn, which is just a short walk to the port. 

We used National Express Bus service to Southampton, and pre-booked it online.  They run every 2 hours from the airport, and they are probably the least expensive way to get there.  It is about a 2.5 hour drive, depending on traffic.  

We used International Friends for our post-cruise transfer to London.  

If you want to read about our experiences, I did a live review. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2678896-live-independence-italian-med-713-727-european-vacation/

Enjoy your trip on Indy

• Like 1

We are not big fans of public transport so we booked a private car for our cruise this past July. We used blackberrycars.com 

Excellent service, nice vehicles. We had a family of four and it cost us £110 total each  way from our central London hotel. Can actually work out cheaper than the train depending on booking class and time you wish to travel.

Heathrow is on the outskirts (Southampton side) of London so if coming in the day before it would be an airport hotel or Southampton. I'd opt for Southampton, as mentioned the Holiday Inn is right at the port but there are several other chains close by too. Westquay shopping/entertainment centre is walking distance from all of them. Lots of info on the UK board about hotels and transport.

If you want to stay in actual London allow at least another day.

Edited by kernow
adding text

We too used National Express bus to Southampton from Heathrow. We booked it online.  We boarded the bus at the same terminal we arrived at . It couldn’t have been easier.  The arrival in Southampton is at a bus terminal with waiting taxis.  We stayed at a Hilton which was too far out.  We used the same bus company to visit Winchester.   

• Like 1

Railway or National Express, both good and get you close to the dock.

I'd stay in Southampton the night before. A lot cheaper and nicer too unless London sight seeing is a "must do".

If you have a choice of European ports, the better option is to embark anywhere but Southampton. Is such a dreary sail away often with rubbish weather even in the summer unless you get lucky!

27 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Is such a dreary sail away often with rubbish weather even in the summer unless you get lucky!

I guess we were lucky.  Beautiful weather, and no rain. 

That includes before, during, and after the cruise.  I don’t count the brief rainstorm we drove through between Windsor Castle and London. 

A very popular private company on these boards when needing transportation from Heathrow to Southampton is

Smith's For Airports. When we have needed to just get into London from LHR it's BlackBerry. Both amazing companies but for your particular routing contact Smith's For Airports for a quote as there local for Southampton.

I second using International Friends at the end of the cruise.  They do a great tour to Stonehenge, Salisbury and Windsor Castle with hotel or airport drop off.  

Getting to the Holiday Inn in Southampton - use a car service (one of the 2 companies mentioned above) so you can relax in comfort and start your vacation out right unless money is a big issue for you.

Southampton White Taxi Excursions is great. 

Large new vehicles, experienced drivers, and they will take you directly from Heathrow to Southampton for 100£ total or add a stop at Stonehenge or Windsor for an agreed upon price. 

I used the Roll Call to get another couple to join us and we split the cost. 

Very professional and reliable!

Very strongly recommend arriving the day before at the very least.  Minimum travel time Heathrow to Southampton is 2 hours.  Any type of flight delay could have disastrous consequences if you fly in same day as sailing.  Besides, you don't want to get on board your cruise and be absolutely exhausted after traveling for the better part of the day just to get there. 

Agree with the majority above, stay in Southampton over London.  The accommodations will be much less expensive in the area of the port than London.  Also, the area in the vicinity of LHR is uninteresting at best and, again, you will be arriving very tired.  It's a commute from the airport hotels to any of the sights in Central London.  Since you have minimal international travel experience I would also recommend National Express - the experience will be simpler and most of the passengers going to Southampton will be other cruise passengers.  The US does not have a comparable train system so getting around will be new.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philbel said:

We are not big fans of public transport so we booked a private car for our cruise this past July. We used blackberrycars.com 

Excellent service, nice vehicles. We had a family of four and it cost us £110 total each  way from our central London hotel. Can actually work out cheaper than the train depending on booking class and time you wish to travel.

We did the samething, Blackberry cars worked out great.  My wife did the one thing you should never do, used the bathroom before customs and immigration. That single 3 minute interruption resulted in a extra half hour in line. Sent text to the blackberry driver telling him we were running late and no problem or extra charge. Will definitely be our first choice in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

A very popular private company on these boards when needing transportation from Heathrow to Southampton is

Smith's For Airports. When we have needed to just get into London from LHR it's BlackBerry. Both amazing companies but for your particular routing contact Smith's For Airports for a quote as there local for Southampton.

I second Smiths for Airports.  Have used them several times.  They are reasonable and dependable.

Sorry have to disagree with you truffles2.  

Booked Smiths by email, got confirmation by return but when we landed at Heathrow - no car.  When I called them they claimed I hadn’t confirmed the booking and they had no available cars. The female on the phone was in no way sympathetic or helpful.   Told this story to other cruisers and was told it is quite common for this to happen when they are busy.  Ended up hiring a car one way and it was cheaper!

Plenty of hotels available in Southampton close to the pier(101 City Cruise Terminal, B on the map, if sailing Royal). I have attached a map so you can see how close some of the hotels are.

I believe it will be Anthem of the Seas sailing from Southampton in 2020.

D5AB8B98-42F5-47E5-AF5A-D355C2B559E8.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

There is also a lovely boutique hotel called Pig in the Wall.

On the map ^^ it’ll be between #6 and #7. 

When you are searching online for hotels,  there there is only one ‘h’ in Southampton FYI! 

Edited by little britain

I second Smiths for airports, several good trips with them and my friends too.

We stayed at Premier Inn WQ, and walked from the hotel to the pier (crossing through Holiday Inn's parking lot...). 

Arrive at least one day before the cruise and stay in Southampton.

We used Blackberry several times in May/June when we boarded the Independence of the Seas. Shuttle from Heathrow to Holiday Inn Express Mayfair, Holiday inn to Southampton, Southhampton to Heathrow and we were very happy..  The cars were in mint condition and the drivers were very professional and friendly.   

On 8/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, h20skibum said:

We used National Express Bus service to Southampton, and pre-booked it online.  They run every 2 hours from the airport, and they are probably the least expensive way to get there.  It is about a 2.5 hour drive, depending on traffic.  

On 8/22/2019 at 7:31 AM, NHProud said:

We too used National Express bus to Southampton from Heathrow. We booked it online.  We boarded the bus at the same terminal we arrived at . It couldn’t have been easier.  The arrival in Southampton is at a bus terminal with waiting taxis.  We stayed at a Hilton which was too far out.  We used the same bus company to visit Winchester.   

I agree National Express.

Premier Inn West Quay is perfectly situated.

BTW there is a lot of info on the Britain board.

Edited by maryann2

We used a company called Twelve Transfers earlier this summer.  Considered National Express, but with 6 of us, Twelve Transfers was almost break even.  Also used them for a 3 AM trip into London at St Pancras for the early train into Paris. On time and very reliable.  Would definitely use them again.

You mentioned limited travel experience, so if you have never been to London, I would seriously considering springing for a few extra days there.  London is a wonderful city and there is so much to do and see.  I'd plan 3-4 nights there if possible, but at least 1 or 2. 

For transfers, we don't care to wait for a group bus shuttle, even if it's cheaper.  We'd rather splurge on a car service.  We have used a company called Totally Driven for London-Southampton transfers and were very pleased.

• Like 1