Crew Nationalities

lottiegreen56

Hey all - just getting off the valor and noticed that on this cruise and on my previous two this year, the nationalities of the crew seem to be mostly East Asian and from Oceana. 

I’m part Native American (more than Elizabeth Warren!) and Italian so I do not mean this to be negative or racist, just curious if this is a function of carnival recruitment efforts, the economy of the countries in Africa and Europe. We’re all God’s children - or sometimes Satan’s spawn - so it doesn’t much matter to me where people are from. It was just something curious that i’ve noticed lately. 

It's been this way for a long time. Cruiselines have recruitment centers in south east Asia at least where they recruit the hospitality jobs. The pay would be low for Americans/Europeans but the wages go much further in those countries where stable jobs are hard to come by.

They hire people from all over the world though. You will see more Europeans/Americans in entertainment roles vs hospitality staff. 

I've seen a good mix of nationalities on all of our cruises. I'm sure the local economy plays a role in the recruitment since it's easier to recruit someone to earn $1500 a month when the best they can do at home is $500 (broad statement with made up numbers used only as an example). 

A few factors are involved.  Salaries in relation to home country economies is a large one.  Also are cultural norms that influence whether that nationality has a history of "guest worker" economy (exporting workers to other countries for long periods of time), and finally whether the culture in the home country has a history of "service" industry.  Whether or not a country or culture meets these requirements affects whether crew hire on to work long hours in cramped quarters, for long contracts, and are willing to be subservient to the passengers, no matter what.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Hey all - just getting off the valor and noticed that on this cruise and on my previous two this year, the nationalities of the crew seem to be mostly East Asian and from Oceana.

Oceana? 

There are also  a lot of crew from Easter Europe in addition to Thailand and the Phillipines which all seem to have many crew members represented.

It's been this way for a long time so not something most of us would have mentioned. It is just typically what you find on board.

Edited by riffatsea

Thanks for the information and replies. My assumptions are pretty much confirmed it seems. 

I’m by no means complaining, never met a person on the crew that showed me a bad side. Can’t say the same for my fellow passengers who are largely US citizens just by the blessing of being born here. We’ll always be the greatest country but all you need to do is take a cruise to know that great people come from everywhere. 

• Like 1

The main reason is because of the worth of the $$$ in their country, as most people mentioned above. 

I always wonder if their personality also plays a role. Maybe the culture of those people allows them to be more tolerant to some of us as passengers who forget how to behave when we are on vacation. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic.  My wife is Filipino born in Hawaii and spent years in Virginia.  She might be the only Filipino with a Southern accent.  We tend to get Filipinos for the wait staff and it cracks me up.  While they fawn all over her I'm usually just the white guy who happens to be at the table.  I love it though...I'm the cruise addict in the family and I think she agrees to go with me just to get the extra attention.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, lottiegreen56 said:

I’m part Native American (more than Elizabeth Warren!) and Italian so I do not mean this to be negative or racist, just curious if this is a function of carnival recruitment efforts, the economy of the countries in Africa and Europe. We’re all God’s children - or sometimes Satan’s spawn - so it doesn’t much matter to me where people are from. It was just something curious that i’ve noticed lately. 

We are now facing another vacuous post.

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:50 AM, cruizergal70 said:

What is Oceana?

In the States we are taught that there are 7 continents.

North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and Antarctica.

In other parts of the world, Australia included, they more correctly teach (according to the definition of a continent) that there are 5.

America’s, Eurasia, Africa, Oceana, and Antarctica.

This according to a multinational group of Guest Services crew members.

Australia and Oceania is a continent made up of thousands of islands throughout the South Pacific Ocean. Oceania is a region made up of thousands of islands throughout the Central and South Pacific Ocean. It includes Australia, the smallest continent in terms of total land area.

Oceania source wikipedia