Mini Harmony review from a cruise newbie

Hi guys,

I've learned SO much from everyone on these boards, so I wanted to share our experience in case it helps anyone else plan!

A little about us...we are a family of 4.  My husband Andy and I have been married almost 20 years.  We have two boys, Drew (16) and Keaton (13).  Our usual family vacation is Disney World, so they boys are used to constant entertainment, running from roller coaster to roller coaster, and they're comfortable there because they've been there approx 9-10 times.  We're creatures of habit that don't like to stray too much from what we know and love, so that's why we keep going back.  AND the Disney customer service is second to none.

We were going to do a beach trip this year with two other families, who unfortunatly both had to back out.  Our boys had NO desire to go to the beach with just us, so I thought a cruise would give us the most bang for our buck.  We'd been on one Carnival cruise 9 years ago with my mom and stepdad's extended family, and we just didn't love it.  We were at a port every day, the ship was older, and the kids were younger, so my husband was a HARD sell to convince to try another cruise.  I'd originally planned on going on Carnival's Vista, but by the time "someone" finally sent in his passport renewal, I couldn't get a 4 person room on short notice.  Somehow, I stumbled on the Harmony which was a similar price, and it looked amazing...plus I'd heard so many great reviews of RC over Carnival, so it was a no-brainer, AND we could get a balcony!!

So on July 5, I booked a cruise leaving August 4!  Talk about short notice!  I'm a huge planner, so this short notice on a ship I hadn't even researched was going to freak me out!!!  Flights, transfers, excursions....EEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!  

Fast forward a few weeks, when we remembered that we had been gifted 2 free nights at a Disney World hotel last year, after my husband spent 3 or 4 nights of our vacation in the hospital with kidney stones (see what I mean about Disney customer service).  I called and was able to get our two free nights on the Friday and Saturday before our Sunday cruise!  We didn't do any park days, but shopped, ate, drank, bowled, drank and ate some more...

We booked a Lyft to pick us up from Pop Century on Sunday at 11 and drive us to the port.  It was an easy drive, took maybe an hour and half and cost a little over $100.  We got out, gave out bags to the handlers, and asked where to go.  It was super easy getting all checked in, and we were on the boat maybe 30-45 minutes later.  

Gotta work...will add more later, and will hopefully figure out how to post pics!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Momto2PrncChrmgs said:

A little about us...we are a family of 4.  My husband Andy and I have been married almost 20 years.  We have two boys, Drew (16) and Keaton (13).

How did your teens feel about the teens program? When I went last August, I thought it was okay, but I wish they divided the younger and older age group! Also, I went 

58 minutes ago, Momto2PrncChrmgs said:

I couldn't get a 4 person room on short notice.  Somehow, I stumbled on the Harmony which was a similar price, and it looked amazing...plus I'd heard so many great reviews of RC over Carnival, so it was a no-brainer, AND we could get a balcony!!

How did your teens feel about sharing a room? Was is cramped? When I shared a balcony room with my family of four (my brother, mom and dad) the bedding situation was horrible. There was barely any room by the couch (which was converted into two beds) to squeeze onto the balcony. Although I must say, the balcony itself is huge!