How does the beverage package work?

pesty0720

We received a complimentary premium beverage package(sip & sail) for our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

Can someone explain to me how that works? Meaning, do we get an additional card that we present to the waiters

when ordering?  How do the waiters know who to charge and who not to charge?

thank you

4 minutes ago, pesty0720 said:

We received a complimentary premium beverage package(sip & sail) for our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

Can someone explain to me how that works? Meaning, do we get an additional card that we present to the waiters

thank you

The Premium Beverage Package is electronically attached/loaded to your account either through the Medallion or a cruise card if the ship does not have the Medallion yet.

When you order a drink through either they will verify.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pesty0720 said:

Ok, got it. Thank you for your quick reply. We will be on he Coral. I am not sure if it has the Medallion.

The Medallion is a pin?

The medallion is rolling out ship by ship ... Coral is due to be medallionized mid-Oct 2020.  You will have a conventional cruise card.

Best way to understand the value of the medallion is either by reading Princess promo materials on their site ... or by checking out threads here.

• Like 1

When a bartender or waiter scans your cruise card, reads your medallion, or enters your folio number manually, it will show that you have the PBP, and it will also show the number of alcoholic drinks you have had so far that day (from 6:00 am to 6:00 am). If the drink ordered is included in the package and you have not exceeded your limit of 15 alcoholic drinks that day, then the computer will give the bartender or waiter the option to include the drink in the package or not to include it. For example, it should not be included in the package if you are ordering a drink for someone else - it should be charged to your account instead of to the package. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Good news: A bartender at a bar you frequent or a waiter in traditional or Club Class dining may make a note of your folio number and not bother asking for it (even without the medallion).

Bad news: They do sometimes make mistakes. If the bartender clicks the wrong button on the computer, it may charge you when it shouldn't. This has happened to me several times, usually when a waiter takes the order manually in a dining room, in the theater, or on the pool deck and then gives it to a bartender at another location to fill. It is a good idea to check your onboard folio every few days. If there is an incorrect charge, you will need to contact Passenger Services to have it corrected. It is best not to wait until the last morning to correct this kind of problem.

thank you for info!  We have not cruised for a very long time, but I remember they use to bring us receipts to sign whenever we ordered a drink. I am assuming if you have the PBP they should say "0"?  Maybe this is a way for us to know immediately if we are being charged or not? 

thanks again

16 hours ago, pesty0720 said:

thank you

Also, if you have a traveling companion who also has the beverage package, you can bring both cards to the bar to get drinks for each of you.

Interesting thing about Princess; they don’t require everyone in the cabin to have the beverage package. Most of the other cruise lines require everyone in the cabin over 21 to purchase the beverage package if anyone in the cabin purchases one. I imagine the day will come when Princess joins the club. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pesty0720 said:

Thank you! Would anyone be able to tell me how I can check my folio?

Is there a tv menu that gives you access to your account like in a hotel?

thank you

That info is available via the ship's Intranet.  Once aboard, connect using the ship's Wifi and key in URL as <Ship Name>.princess.com.  From there you will be prompted to enter info such as cabin number and birthdate to establish the account.  You can also go to a self-serve kiosk nearby the Passenger Services Desk (PSD) and print one out.

7 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

Also, if you have a traveling companion who also has the beverage package, you can bring both cards to the bar to get drinks for each of you.

You don't necessarily need the cruise card, depending on the bartender. DW's folio number is one more than mine. I have been able to get one for me and one for her without having her card with me. The bartender just needed to verify from her folio number.

1 hour ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Interesting thing about Princess; they don’t require everyone in the cabin to have the beverage package. Most of the other cruise lines require everyone in the cabin over 21 to purchase the beverage package if anyone in the cabin purchases one. I imagine the day will come when Princess joins the club. 

I seem to recall that when Princess first announced the beverage pkg, the policy was to be as you describe.  The outcry was deafening ... "Princess doesn't trust us," yada, yada.  So, with a "we know and trust our passengers," or so they thought, Princess relented.  And here we are! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

I seem to recall that when Princess first announced the beverage pkg, the policy was to be as you describe.  The outcry was deafening ... "Princess doesn't trust us," yada, yada.  So, with a "we know and trust our passengers," or so they thought, Princess relented.  And here we are! 

The same people who openly admit to using his policy to steal drinks on this board? 

• Haha 1