Cruise Critic Community
TMLAalum

Budapest Transportation Questions

#1. How close do river cruise boats dock to Tram Line #2 which goes along the Danube? Are there designated stops? We have afternoon tickets to visit Parliament and my basic research indicates that the tram would be the most convenient way to get there.

#2. We will be catching a train to Munich out of Keleti station the morning we disembark. It looks like we might be able to take the Green Metro line there IF we are docked close to the Fovam Ter station near the Liberty Bridge. Has anyone done this or would the 2 of us be better off having a cab called from the ship?

Szepen!

I think there are a number of docks in Budapest. Where you are depends on the cruise line, and whether you're embarking / disembarking vs. just passing through. Some of the docks are on busy streets where there's no place for buses to stop, so it's almost impossible to embark / disembark there.

When we were there in 2016 on Uniworld, we were in two different locations. One was very convenient to the #2 tram. It was just downstream from Elizabeth Bridge. Coordinates of where we docked were 47.490560, 19.051260. The #2 tram stopped at Március 15. tér, which was just a few steps from there. It really could not have been easier to take the tram to Parliament from there - that's what we did that day.

That spot is one tram stop (in the other direction) to Fővám tér, if you want the metro to the train station. We travel light so we were able to handle our luggage on the tram. But just be aware that if it's a workday morning, the tram will likely be crowded.

There are other docks. On embarkation day, the boat was at a different dock, Dráva 2, out by Margaret Island. That was not convenient to most public transport. So we actually took a public ferry there because it was the easiest form or public transport that went near there. We didn't move to the better dock until the next day.

There is a website for the Budapest port authority, which shows you exactly where the docks are and what ships are scheduled to use them. You might look that up and see where you're scheduled (I can't remember what the website was or I'd give it to you here). It was quite accurate for our cruise but obviously things can change.

Agree with previous post - there are a number of docking locations on the Danube. Most are convenient to tram #2 but not all - check to see where your ship will dock. Our dock last November was located between Elisabeth & Chain Bridges (closer to Elisabeth).  It was a very convenient location and, as we stayed an additional week in Budapest, we extensively used both the trams and metro. A Viking ship was docked next to us and it was a very short walk to Legenda City Cruises (you can check the location on Google Maps).

You could take the metro to the train station if you travel light. However, I would be inclined to take a taxi for the sake of convenience.

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

IThere is a website for the Budapest port authority, which shows you exactly where the docks are and what ships are scheduled to use them. You might look that up and see where you're scheduled (I can't remember what the website was or I'd give it to you here). It was quite accurate for our cruise but obviously things can change.

Here's the website https://www.mahartports.hu/en

One warning I am finding while researching about taking public transit in Budapest...if you buy individual tickets, make sure you validate them.  Everyone is complaining about "not understanding" how public transit works, and getting an 8000 HF fine.  If you have the 72 hr pass, it is validated when you purchase it.

Thanks all! I've looked at the website link form Daisi, but will have to wait until closer to our date of arrival since ours is not showing.

We do plan on traveling light- a backpack and carryon each so maybe we could take the Metro the morning we disembark since our train doesn't depart until 9:40am. But I recall those steep escalators down into the depths- was skittish even without luggage!  And we experienced a scam at the bottom, when a very decrepit old lady who barely made it on , fell in a heap as she exited! We held back from helping as she was assisted by several men who were shortly thereafter apprehended by the transit police! If we'd rushed to her aid, I suspect we'd have been pickpocketed by her helpers.