Change in signature beverage package

RedmondCruiser

I booked back in June for a 35 day cruise from Seattle to Lima and back to San Diego.  A Signature Beverage Package was included.  The rules were then 15 drinks per day with a maximum of $11 per drink (I don't know who could consume that much alcohol)  I was told that the surcharge of 15% was not included.  Just did a booking change and now the confirmation states that the maximum is $9 per drink and that will include the 15% surcharge.  Can they change the rules and amounts in mid stream ?   My wife does not drink and I don't drink that much but looking at the web site it still lists $11 per drink.  Can anyone unravel this for me  

Do not fear.

Hear are "True Facts" you can rely on.

1. The 15% gratuity part of the description is collected on the package price when you buy the package (or if it's included with your cruise, it is built into the cruise cost)

2. For the Signature Package,  It is $11, it used to be only $9 but that was upped a while ago.  Here is the text from HALs website: 7 DAY SIGNATURE BEVERAGE PACKAGE

"Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. Sharing is not permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, Honor Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers."

3. Watch this YouTube video where someone gets a REAL answer in WRITING from the "Director of Beverage Operations and Development" at HAL Headquarters. https://youtu.be/s8jfd33wrvg

Do not fear All is Well !!!!

Edited by RubberCityRebel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HAL (like some other companies) has a tendency to update policy in some places, but not update references to it in other places. Such as your new confirmation.
Take RubberCityRebel's information as accurate.

The SBP has always had the 15% SC included in the purchase price, if you buy it, or if it's included with a promotion, it is always included.  You never get hit with 15% service charges when you have the SBP.   And the current drink max cost is $11 MENU PRICE.   Do not start adding 15% to the menu drink prices to determine if they are included in the $11 limit.  The price you see on the drink menus will determine if the drink is included in the package.

You will be fine!!!

Dont worry. We always get the Explorer 4

Beverage package and have never paid extra if the 15%!! As all have said it is included in the price with your cruise! HAL is not loosing money by no means doing the promo we pay extra for it!

Have a good cruise

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedmondCruiser said:

I booked back in June for a 35 day cruise from Seattle to Lima and back to San Diego.  A Signature Beverage Package was included.  The rules were then 15 drinks per day with a maximum of $11 per drink (I don't know who could consume that much alcohol)  I was told that the surcharge of 15% was not included.  Just did a booking change and now the confirmation states that the maximum is $9 per drink and that will include the 15% surcharge.  Can they change the rules and amounts in mid stream ?   My wife does not drink and I don't drink that much but looking at the web site it still lists $11 per drink.  Can anyone unravel this for me  

my husband and I don't drink that much either.  We bought wine at the duty free shops at some of our ports and kept the wine in our room.  HAL seems to be nickel and diming everything nowadays.  The price for the Beverage Package is just too expensive.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bichonsx2 said:

my husband and I don't drink that much either.  We bought wine at the duty free shops at some of our ports and kept the wine in our room.  HAL seems to be nickel and diming everything nowadays.  The price for the Beverage Package is just too expensive.

The beverage package is expensive on all the cruise lines I’ve tried, and HAL is no worse than the others. At least the HAL package includes bottled water — some of the others don’t. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dave.s said:

The beverage package is expensive on all the cruise lines I’ve tried, and HAL is no worse than the others. At least the HAL package includes bottled water — some of the others don’t. 

But, HAL requires that everyone in the cabin buy the package. You won’t find that requirement on many other cruise lines. 

4 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

But, HAL requires that everyone in the cabin buy the package. You won’t find that requirement on many other cruise lines. 

All the other cruise lines I’ve used have the same requirement. They don’t want one person using their package to get “free” drinks for someone else (which would happen). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dave.s said:

All the other cruise lines I’ve used have the same requirement. They don’t want one person using their package to get “free” drinks for someone else (which would happen). 

Could be. We’ve been primarily sailing Princess. We are trying HAL next year for the first time in many years. Princess does not have this requirement. Their rule merely states:

• Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.

26 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Could be. We’ve been primarily sailing Princess. We are trying HAL next year for the first time in many years. Princess does not have this requirement. Their rule merely states:

• Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.

That’s unusual. Like HAL, NCL and Royal Caribbean require everyone of drinking age in the same room to buy the same package. I’ve sailed Princess too but I might not have purchased their package. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dave.s said:

That’s unusual. Like HAL, NCL and Royal Caribbean require everyone of drinking age in the same room to buy the same package. I’ve sailed Princess too but I might not have purchased their package. 

Some, NCL comes to mind, even require everyone on your billing account (like the kids you put in an adjoining cabin) have a beverage package, the soda package for 3+ year old.

• Like 1

it is a tad bit confusing....cruise confirmation says $9.00 including 15% Service charge, which if I read that correctly it would mean that the price of the drink would have to be under $7.82.  and their website says.....

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase.

29 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

it is a tad bit confusing....cruise confirmation says $9.00 including 15% Service charge, which if I read that correctly it would mean that the price of the drink would have to be under $7.82.  and their website says.....

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase.

Don’t worry about it.  the confirmation was done with the old package wording.

The current Signature package applies to you so it’s the $11 drink limit.

My confirmation just says “Signature Beverage Package”.  No description which is probably safer than being specific when they can’t keep up to date 😉 

2 hours ago, kruzin2010 said:

i A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase.

The 15% service charge is added to the purchase of the initial SBP,  NOT each drink.   When you buy the SBP online, it is $44.95 per day (the least expensive in the industry) plus the 15% SC, which totals $51.70 per day.   Yes, both in the cabin must buy the package.   

Princess doesn't have the "both must buy" requirement, but their basic package costs $69 per day plus 18% service charge or $70.79 per day.  For that extra $20 per day, they can afford some sneaky drink sharing between guests.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

The 15% service charge is added to the purchase of the initial SBP,  NOT each drink.   When you buy the SBP online, it is $44.95 per day (the least expensive in the industry) plus the 15% SC, which totals $51.70 per day.   Yes, both in the cabin must buy the package.   

Princess doesn't have the "both must buy" requirement, but their basic package costs $69 per day plus 18% service charge or $70.79 per day.  For that extra $20 per day, they can afford some sneaky drink sharing between guests.

Cruise and Maritime Voyages have a less expensive package. $AUD54 per day (with no extra for gratuities)  with every 7th day free and it covers drinks as well as the daily gratuities. It is an absolute bargain but adds up for our upcoming 45 day cruise (just over $AUD4000 for us both). That converts to about $US33/day/person for drinks and the daily tips.

Edited by Nang