Printer chaos

nanaofthree

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not by Ada & her pal Charlie , whoever they are, but at Manchester University in 1948. 

Ada would be Ada Lovelace (Byron’s daughter) & Charles Babbage. I think Tommy Flowers at the Post Office might have had a hand in the first computer as well.

I do agree that Manchester does have an awesome reputation for scientific developments.

Edited by Ranchi

6 hours ago, jh1809 said:

I don't, though the way things are going it looks like before long I won't have any choice but to buy one.

Me neither - I really don't want a phone that is smarter than me! As an added bonus, my monthly contract costs me the princely sum of £4.50 :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, FangedRose said:

If that is the future they will have to include free wi fi that works throughout the ship. 

This is how Marella do it- They send you a E-ticket  but you only need your passport to check in. They have cruise news, excursion and restaurant bookings, account details etc available on interactive screens plus they have a free App for your smart device which does the same stuff. It utilises the ships onboard WiFi network web site but does not give you internet access unless you pay for it.

I still get a paper copy of the daily cruise news delivered to my cabin in the evening.

They are saving a fortune on printing paper copies, not surprising as apparently a large percentage of passengers never read it anyway!

no more paper port maps from destination services either, should be renamed to excursion services

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not by Ada & her pal Charlie , whoever they are, but at Manchester University in 1948. 

Ada Lovelace (daughter of Lord Byron) wrote the first computer program, and Charles Babbage inventor of the Difference Engine, the first computer. 

P & O WEBSITE.     Are thy still working on it?   I find it strange that the old one worked perfectly, yet they have wasted money (some of ours) producing one which doesn’t work.  I wonder if they are losing bookings?  It used to be called inefficiency.  What would that be called now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

P & O WEBSITE.     Are thy still working on it?   I find it strange that the old one worked perfectly, yet they have wasted money (some of ours) producing one which doesn’t work.  I wonder if they are losing bookings?  It used to be called inefficiency.  What would that be called now?

Stupidity 😂 

• Like 1

I too don’t have a mobile phone of any sort.  For what we pay for the cruise I would expect tickets and luggage labels to be provided by the cruise company. They could of course abolish tickets altogether and book everyone in just from their booking reference on arrival at the terminal.

13 minutes ago, Sunbedsue said:

I too don’t have a mobile phone of any sort.  For what we pay for the cruise I would expect tickets and luggage labels to be provided by the cruise company. They could of course abolish tickets altogether and book everyone in just from their booking reference on arrival at the terminal.

That's what they do. All they look at on the e ticket is the reference number. 

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage. I think Bletchley Park has a better claim than MU.

4 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Ada would be Ada Lovelace (Byron’s daughter) & Charles Babbage. I think Tommy Flowers at the Post Office might have had a hand in the first computer as well.

I do agree that Manchester does have an awesome reputation for scientific developments.

Depends on the definition of a computer. The Bletchley park machine was an electronic calculating machine doing a very complicated but fixed task. The manchester machine was the first programmable electronic computer.

I don't know if your comments about up north was tongue in cheek, but why pick on northerners, if you made the same comment even tongue in cheek about any other ethnic group it wouldn't be seen as funny.

By the way I was born in Wimbledon and now live down south but have lived up north amongst may other places.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I don't know if your comments about up north was tongue in cheek, but why pick on northerners, if you made the same comment even tongue in cheek about any other ethnic group it wouldn't be seen as funny.

Of course I apologies unreservedly if I have offended your sensibilities regarding Northerners. I meant no offence. My comments were tongue in cheek; I thought #superding-dongcruising app, linking The Crow’s Nest to Wetherspoons, quotes from deck 8 laundrette and 😂 icons may have given it away. 

I do have serious concerns about closure of banks (some regions affected more than others) and the expectation that internet banking will be a suitable substitute (bearing in mind that some regions have poorer access to broadband than others. ) 

I also think it unreasonable that you can get cheaper (although not for much longer, I understand) rail fares by using a phone app and getting an e-ticket. Clearly discrimination against those who don’t have smart phones. (I will not identify a group). It is galling  though that Northern Rail have many trains which don’t have charging points on board and charge you twice if your phone goes dead. I haven’t noticed such omissions on rolling stock in other regions. 

I am a northerner but come from  about 21/2 hours north of Manchester. 

Edited by Ranchi
Typo

19 hours ago, nanaofthree said:

Thanks everyone for your input , got a new printer , problem solved 😀

Just make sure the ink doesn't cost twice as much as the printer,lol.

Edited by brian1