Mediterranean Excursions

miami mama

Next year we will be taking the Mediterranean cruise going from Barcelona to Venice. A few months ago I found a link to a wonderful review of excursions (by Viking and private guides). I am having trouble locating this review again. I have used the search engine looking for Viking Mediterranean Excursions and of course I get thousands of pages involving other cruise lines. I'm hoping the writer of the review, or someone who is familiar with it, sees this post and is able to appropriately direct me. Thanks so much.

2 hours ago, miami mama said:

Next year we will be taking the Mediterranean cruise going from Barcelona to Venice. A few months ago I found a link to a wonderful review of excursions (by Viking and private guides). I am having trouble locating this review again. I have used the search engine looking for Viking Mediterranean Excursions and of course I get thousands of pages involving other cruise lines. I'm hoping the writer of the review, or someone who is familiar with it, sees this post and is able to appropriately direct me. Thanks so much.

The search function is a pain in the neck and you are looking for a needle in a haystack. To eliminate other cruise lines--and assuming that you are working on a desktop and not a mobile-- search again, this time starting from right here at the top of this very page, or at least in the "Viking Ocean."

Click where it says search and you will get a drop down menu . Choose This Forum instead of Everywhere. You can further reduce the results by choosing ALL of my search terms instead of ANY  --but you have to pick those search words carefully.

image.png.41835b1ebab700d6b90e9fcadde82ed4.png

FINALLY, come up with search terms that are less general.  Since you are now searching just the Viking Ocean forum, you can eliminate Viking from your list.  Can you remember three ports (or even, better smaller cities) that were covered in the review? Barcelona? Livorno? Florence? Lucca, Pisa, Aix, Eze, Naples --or other names of ports on your itinerary.  Use port names instead of Mediterranean. Try ICONIC in the string, because that is the name that of the Barcelona to  Rome cruise; it is a longshot but what do you have to lose?  Don't use Marseille, too easy to misspell. Try different searches using TOURS or SHOREX instead of excursions.  Another longshot, but can you remember any unique words  in what you read, words that aren't used very often, especially proper names.

Or, maybe you will get lucky and somebody will remember the the review you are looking for and post a link here. 😉

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, We are booked on a Mediterranean / Italy cruise in May of 2021.  I just put down a deposit.  I was looking at the excursions on the main website...are those sample of what might be offered?  Or will more be added?  It is too early for my trip.  But I was just curious.  Thank you!

3 hours ago, Harmon10 said:

Hi, We are booked on a Mediterranean / Italy cruise in May of 2021.  I just put down a deposit.  I was looking at the excursions on the main website...are those sample of what might be offered?  Or will more be added?  It is too early for my trip.  But I was just curious.  Thank you!

Can you be more specific?  What is the exact name of your cruise?  There is more than one Mediterranean cruise.  To answer your question, I do find the excursions on the website helpful.  But keep in mind they probably won't be exact.  For example, I am on Mediterranean Odyssey.  There was an excursion to see Sistine Chapel after hours.  When it came time to book, that excursion just wasn't listed.  It was like it was never there.  I don't know why they would advertise it then take it away.  Maybe not enough interest.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

.  For example, I am on Mediterranean Odyssey.  There was an excursion to see Sistine Chapel after hours.  When it came time to book, that excursion just wasn't listed.  It was like it was never there.  I don't know why they would advertise it then take it away.  Maybe not enough interest.

Oh no!!!!  That was one we have been looking at doing. Haven't been able to sign up for excursions yet. Dang!

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

There was an excursion to see Sistine Chapel after hours.  When it came time to book, that excursion just wasn't listed.  It was like it was never there.  I don't know why they would advertise it then take it away.  Maybe not enough interest.

image.png.7cf00f11ab8e0e88a3fb9f566feee095.png

It is still on the website but probably only done for the itineraries that overnight in Rome because it does not return to the ship until late in the evening.  Plus, the chapel is closed on Sundays.  Since the page on the website is generic and used for all cruises that call at Civitavecchia, it remains on the page even if it can't be offered very often.

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It is still on the website but probably only done for the itineraries that overnight in Rome because it does not return to the ship until late in the evening.  Plus, the chapel is closed on Sundays.  Since the page on the website is generic and used for all cruises that call at Civitavecchia, it remains on the page even if it can't be offered very often.

I bet that's it!  Odyssey is just one day.  😞

We are on Viking Sky departing October 6 for Mediterranean Odyssey, arriving in Citavecchia at 7:00am and departing at 11:00pm. Among the shore excursions they are offering is one titled "Sistine Chapel and Vatican City" for $239pp. It departs at 8:15am and returns at 6:15pm. "View the transcendent wonders of Vatican City, with a local guide along to provide insight. You will meet your guide upon arrival in Rome and see the important monuments of ancient Rome on a panoramic tour—the Aurelian Walls, the Pyramid of Cestius, the Circus Maximus and the Colosseum. In Vatican City, the smallest sovereign state in the world, visit the world-renowned Vatican Museums. You can see its diverse collection ranging from Egyptian and Etruscan art to pieces by Raphael and Caravaggio. In the famed Sistine Chapel, marvel at the art-adorned walls and, of course, Michelangelo’s famous ceiling painting in which the hand of God gives life to Adam. Find more inspiration in St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in the world and one of the holiest sites in the Roman Catholic Church. After your tour, enjoy free time to explore St. Peter’s Square." So even in 1 day, parts of the Vatican are accessible via Viking excursions.

There are also independent tour options - we have tentatively booked a tour out of Marseilles with a tour company that is highly rated elsewhere in the Cruise Critic forums - they do offer a "best of Rome" tour that includes the Vatican Museum and St Peter's Basilica, as well as the Coliseum, in a small group tour for 99 euros pp.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harmon10 said:

On Viking Sky...if they overnight in a port (Venice) does that mean you can get off the boat as early as you would like the following day for a private arranged tour?  (not a Viking tour).  Thanks!

Harmon, I suggest that you contact Viking directly with this question just so that you get an accurate answer. Write to them at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Include your name, booking number and phone number. Also include the ports you want to know about and maybe even the time you are thinking of departing.