Tips at pier

cruisecrazypat

What is the average.....many people make the average go down....such as myself.  I tip those people that are customary to tip.  So people who are on salaries, and are working, I do not tip.  Example, the truck driver that delivers the food to the ship, gives the load of food to the longshoreman that fork lift it to the ship.  That very same person does the same with my luggage.  Neither get a tip.  So the same that loads the bins.  They aren't porters.  A real porter is the person that takes your bags out to the car for you.  Those are porters.  The other people are employees to load ships. Unload 10 cars in get $5 per car and that is $50 on top of your hourly rate.  It only takes about 1 minute to toss you bag into the cart.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, wardamnweagle said:

Last trip out of NOLA I had some rum runners. I tipped $20/bag to the guy and told him they were very important. He said yes sir and my bags did not go on a cart by the curb where other bags were going, they were rushed off out of my view. As we approached the stairs he caught up to me and directed us to a different door. Another porter waved us over. Looks like we went thru a priority line. Got upstairs and did the check in stuff and then got near the ramp. Called my in-laws to see where they were as they arrived at the port 15min before us. They were still in line. Grabbed a seat and waited on them. 5min later we were going up the ramp together. My father in law had a black plastic bag containing all of their sodas as they had ripped open the boxes. I was never even asked to open my carry on despite having two 12pks (one for me and one for wife) and two bottles of wine inside. 

Our bags were at our room at 3:30 with FTTF straps. In-laws got theirs after late seating dinner. 

Extortion? Nah. 

So you tipped $20 per bag to get rum runners on?   Not a bargain in the end.

18 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

What is the average.....many people make the average go down....such as myself.  I tip those people that are customary to tip.  So people who are on salaries, and are working, I do not tip.  Example, the truck driver that delivers the food to the ship, gives the load of food to the longshoreman that fork lift it to the ship.  That very same person does the same with my luggage.  Neither get a tip.  So the same that loads the bins.  They aren't porters.  A real porter is the person that takes your bags out to the car for you.  Those are porters.  The other people are employees to load ships. Unload 10 cars in get $5 per car and that is $50 on top of your hourly rate.  It only takes about 1 minute to toss you bag into the cart.

Same here....in the past 10 years, it seems everyone you encounter needs a tip.

Tipping was customarily for waiters/waitress who made like $2.00 an hour and needed tips to supplement that.   Anyone who makes a regular wage...I do not tip.   I see tip jars at ordering windows for food, on the electronic pad when you use your credit card at food ordering windows and buffets...pretty soon, mcdonalds will have a tip jar at their counter.

I also carry on our own bags based on the demands of tips from these porters to simply hand my luggage to and they turn around 5ft to stick it on a cart.  We shuttle to the port, so they provide no other service than that 5ft roll to the cart.  Not worth a tip....

We each bring 1 suitcase and never worry about broken luggage, late luggage etc. anymore.  

We carry on.  No waiting for bags coming or going.  I dont tip them because I dont use them. Prior to switching we used to give a dollar a bag but this is covered by port charges so really should tip nothing in my opinion.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

So you tipped $20 per bag to get rum runners on?   Not a bargain in the end.

Well, $12-$15 a bottle in NOLA, plus $40 means a total of about $120-$130. Given the price of bottles delivered to the room when onboard, in plenty fine with it.