Dinner Attire for Woemen

carlsbadguy

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You used to see the bathrobes at breakfast in the Terrace  but  have not seen many lately  ..thank goodness

Most people do dress nicely  but there are a few that like to push the envelope  ..as they say

It is not like you have to wear  ballgowns & Tuxes  on O  but why cannot people just dress nicely  for the evenings 🙄

JMO

OMGOSH! I’m trying to get away from those bathrobes!!!! HAL lets people come in especially AM and at lunch with those damn robes on! (LIDO!) I guess they feel either being at the spa and relaxing at the lido is great!  

I agree with youLHT28 with dress👍

Denise😊 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

I think a 'better' golf shirt would be alright also.  Bob has some that are fine for golf but nothing else and then he has some that are quite nice (and not worn out!).  With a Docker-style pant I think it's fine.

Regarding jeans, as much as I personally disapprove, people here have said that their "country club" and I made the distinction over a "golf club" allowed jeans it does kinda open the door.  Again, I think the cruise line, if they choose, would have to say something like "country club casual but no jeans allowed please."  I'll also admit that my fashionista daughter and her similar husband when decked out in their $300 jeans, nice tops and shoes look a lot better than many people I see in restaurants.  Taste is such a subjective thing, isn't it?

Clo;

Taste is rather subjective, with part of the issue being everything in dress is not equal. Those $300 jeans might look great on your young, slim, attractive daughter, but how might a comparable pair look on a 350 lb 75 year old. Many of us lived through the horrors of the Spandex era of women’s attire! Just writing about it brings up visions I’d never want to see! “One size fits all” is a terrible policy and analogy!

Today, we seem to have retailers once again pushing sweat suits as fashion wear. Another throw back to the 80s. Case in point are joga pants! One, they are a version of sweat pants and certainly not cc casual; and two, as a subjective matter , a lot people shouldn’t be wearing them in public away from joga training! A walk through the mall will prove numerous people disagree with that subjective analysis just like they disagreed with my perspective on spandex!

Just now, pinotlover said:

Clo;

Taste is rather subjective, with part of the issue being everything in dress is not equal. Those $300 jeans might look great on your young, slim, attractive daughter, but how might a comparable pair look on a 350 lb 75 year old. Many of us lived through the horrors of the Spandex era of women’s attire! Just writing about it brings up visions I’d never want to see! “One size fits all” is a terrible policy and analogy!

Today, we seem to have retailers once again pushing sweat suits as fashion wear. Another throw back to the 80s. Case in point are joga pants! One, they are a version of sweat pants and certainly not cc casual; and two, as a subjective matter , a lot people shouldn’t be wearing them in public away from joga training! A walk through the mall will prove numerous people disagree with that subjective analysis just like they disagreed with my perspective on spandex!

Why is the concept that speedo aren’t for everyone such a difficult thing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

350 lb 75 year old.

I make a real effort to not body shame. And, yes, it's a challenge at times and it's something I have to work on.   I do believe that people should look how they want to. To a limit. If a cruise line states "no jeans in the MDR" then they need to enforce it for everyone. Doesn't sound like many do.  I wish they would.

• Like 1

We just received our Vacation Guide today for our upcoming cruise in October. On page one (Before You Travel) , it states, “Shorts, CASUAL jeans, t-shirts, athletic foot ware, or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill, and Toscana.”  This clearly distinguishes between dress jeans (dark colored, well-fitted, worn with a fashionable top and shoes) and what one would wear to do yard work. I can’t think of a fine dining restaurant from Seattle to San Diego where this would not be acceptable. In much of Europe and other cosmopolitan cities in the US, this would be common as well. Men look especially stylish in sports coats and jeans.

Dress codes are generational, regional, and cultural. Thank you, Oceania, for recognizing reality. I will take this page of the booklet with me to avoid any misunderstanding. 

1 hour ago, ptiprof said:

“Shorts, CASUAL jeans, t-shirts, athletic foot ware, or sandals are not permitted

I really appreciate your sharing this.  'Course who gets to determine what "casual" jeans are?  I suspect what you and I and some others think may be different than what others may think.  So it would come down to the maitre d' saying "sorry, but those jeans are too casual."  I don't believe that will happen.  And "athletic foot ware."  That seems more straightforward.  Ah, yes, "sandals."  How about mandals? With socks or without?  LOL.  So basically except for shorts and tees I guess that means that anything goes.

mandals-two.jpg?w=500

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, buggins0402 said:

Could be because I dropped some major $ there last weekend. 🤑 Went to return some items bought on line that didn’t fit and ended up doubling my spend. I’ve lost weight, but there is some major size inflation going on.

Laughing. Can’t go all J. Jill but my cruisewear is almost exclusively Soft Surroundings and Neiman Marcus last call clearance!  

On 8/31/2019 at 5:20 AM, DeeniEncinitas said:

OMGOSH! I’m trying to get away from those bathrobes!!!! HAL lets people come in especially AM and at lunch with those damn robes on! (LIDO!) I guess they feel either being at the spa and relaxing at the lido is great!  

I agree with youLHT28 with dress👍

Denise😊 

Deeni, on our recent HAL Alaska cruise, we had suite breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill and a lady came into the PG breakfast every day in her bathrobe.  I kid you not.

That whole cruise was kind of surreal.  Sometimes ya just get lucky,  lol

But this is an "O" thread, so I will share that my son-in-law was on an O cruise and went to order a burger by the pool and they made him go back and put on a shirt.  He was super embarrassed, as he's a very proper young man in most regards.  While the pool rule might be kind of strict, I'm glad they did that.  It's a slippery slope.  Give 'em and inch and they'll take a mile!

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more.  On our Princess Panama Canal cruise in February they let virtually any mode of dress in the MDR on "formal nights", which suggested a suit or tux.  Lots of guys in jeans, no tie, not even a collared shirt, maybe a jacket.  The only two guys in a white dinner jacket were me and the head waiter, who greeted me on formal nights with "Welcome back, Mr. Bond."  😀

We don't really care what the dress code might be, just have your guests stick to it.  

• Like 2

On the Marina we were sitting at Waves grill, enjoying lunch, when this gentleman (?) trots in from the pool wearing a Speedo (he definitely wasn't built for a Speedo!) and nothing else ... no shirt, robe, flip-flops ... just him and his Speedo. Nothing was said to him as he placed his order - but he sure got a lot of stares and snickers from those having lunch there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, don731 said:

We don't really care what the dress code might be, just have your guests stick to it.  

Which seems to be the crux of the issue.  If the cruise line doesn't enforce it then I guess we should just complain to them rather than complain about the passengers who do what they want with impunity.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, pinotlover said:

In the Terrace. Even seen guys in wifebeaters there at dinner. Elsewhere, not a chance!👎

In both our cruises, we never saw anyone dressed as you mentioned. Thank God! I certainly would have complained to the Maître D.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, Redtravel said:

Ask about acceptable attire,  and you will get people worked up. Everyone has their own idea of what to wear on a cruise. Keep it clean and simple. It is nice packing for an Oceania cruise.  Leave the dressy clothes home. It is your cruise. Wear whatever suits you. Chico’s for women is a good option. The travelers collection packs well and does not wrinkle. It also stretches should you gain a few pounds. 

"Wear whatever suits you". This attitude is what's wrong with cruise lines now. There is a standard that is acceptable & one that is not. I get so tired of those pax who say "It's MY vacation & I'll dress anyway I choose!" Well, it's our vacation too! & we don't care to see this cruise line denigrate to what is commonplace on Carnival/NCR etc. That is why there is a dress code as to what is acceptable & what is not. No one is looking for tuxes/gowns here, but what one would expect to wear at a nice restaurant that advertises "Business Casual". It's really not that hard to wear decent but not over the top clothes. For us we simply wear khaki style pants(nicely pressed) & nice button down shirts long or short sleeve. We bring 2 sport coats for dining in the specialty rest. "Country club casual" as the brochure says. For women a nice dress(no gowns)or a stylish pantsuit looks good as well. A sparkly top or two to kick it up a notch, if you like.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, keithm said:

"Wear whatever suits you". This attitude is what's wrong with cruise lines now. There is a standard that is acceptable & one that is not. I get so tired of those pax who say "It's MY vacation & I'll dress anyway I choose!" Well, it's our vacation too! & we don't care to see this cruise line denigrate to what is commonplace on Carnival/NCR etc. That is why there is a dress code as to what is acceptable & what is not. No one is looking for tuxes/gowns here, but what one would expect to wear at a nice restaurant that advertises "Business Casual". It's really not that hard to wear decent but not over the top clothes. For us we simply wear khaki style pants(nicely pressed) & nice button down shirts long or short sleeve. We bring 2 sport coats for dining in the specialty rest. "Country club casual" as the brochure says. For women a nice dress(no gowns)or a stylish pantsuit looks good as well. A sparkly top or two to kick it up a notch, if you like.

Pantsuit?  They were in style about 50 years ago when polyester was popular.  Guys have it easy. Wear pants, shirt, jacket or not, and go anywhere. For women it can be more of a mystery. There are many choices to make when packing for a cruise. For any woman who shops at Chicos, it can be acceptable clothing for traveling on an Oceania cruise.  Their traveler’s line is excellent dress which is worn by many women on cruises.  I seldom see anyone on an Oceania cruise that looks unkempt.  Cruisers look comfortable and stylish.  Most people want to adapt to the style of the cruise. If you have any doubts about wearing something on a cruise. Leave it home. 

After reading all of this I have to comment on situational requirements. On our last cruise I met a very nice couple on our trivia team. He was a Vietnam Vet and had dealt with cancer due to Agent Orange. When we went to the reception for return passengers he was in a nice suit, with a tie, but due to foot issues he was wearing sneakers. He had color coordinated them as best he could. I now see people in "not regular" footwear but before passing judgment I look at the whole package. I will never forget him, how very nice he was as I was just coming out of chemo and he worked with cancer patients, and knowing that I could have misjudged him if not knowing his situation. Julia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwindham said:

When we went to the reception for return passengers he was in a nice suit, with a tie, but due to foot issues he was wearing sneakers. He had color coordinated them as best he could.

There  are exceptions made  for people that have  legitimate foot issues   but not just too lazy to wear a nice  pr of shoes

Yes  you must look at the whole package 

I am looking at Oceania for a future cruise and WOW!  I didn't think that clothing issues would be such an issue.  I'm used to discussions like this on Carnival!  I don't wear flip-flops to dinner and my husband usually wears a jacket to dinner and often a suit or tux for "elegant" dinners.  AND I love J.Jill and Chico's clothing!

EDIT:  I have no problem following guidelines whether on Carnival or Holland America or any other cruise line.

Edited by I Luv Crusin

3 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

I am looking at Oceania for a future cruise and WOW!  I didn't think that clothing issues would be such an issue.  I'm used to discussions like this on Carnival!  I don't wear flip-flops to dinner and my husband usually wears a jacket to dinner and often a suit or tux for "elegant" dinners.  AND I love J.Jill and Chico's clothing!

It is not really an issue  if you follow the guideline set by Oceania  😎

13 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Perhaps you mean "Leisure Suits" that were for men at the time.  We believe the pantsuit mentioned is meant for today's woman.

Do women still wear pant suits?? 🤨

Sorry  I live in a small town & retired

Last time I wore a pant suit  it may have been in the 80's  🤔

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do women still wear pant suits?? 🤨

Sorry  I live in a small town & retired

Last time I wore a pant suit  it may have been in the 80's  🤔

Apparently at least Silversea, Seabourn and Regent (our cruise lines of choice) think so, as pant suits are listed by all of them as elegant/casual wear on their ships.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts