Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SabreSailor

Rotterdam Condition

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've read several reviews of the Rotterdam this year that mention that the ship is not in great condition. Broken windows, rust in the bathrooms, etc., generally an old, worn ship.

 

True?

 

Does anyone know when she is due for a refurbish?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Edited by SabreSailor
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Rotterdam in January.  We didn't notice any of what you're describing.  That cruise made me decide that Holland America was our kind of cruise line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just off the Rotterdam less than a week ago. Like most other ships there are a few rusty spots around, and I felt the bathtubs are overdue for replacement. Some cloudy windows in the public areas. But everything looked spotlessly clean to me. Carpeting, furniture, and soft goods all looked great. Some windows are spotty but how easy is it to clean the outside of windows on an ocean-going vessel??

 

My house is the same age as the Rotterdam and I'm sure visitors would see some aging areas here too. Just wish my house was as spotlessly clean as the Rotterdam is.

Edited by oceanmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

was on the Rotterdam this August. I liked the ship very much because of its style with lot of open space and promenade deck all around the ship. And most open space is real wood. 

 

But if you look at the details for sure it is a worn ship as it is 22 years old.

Did this impact my overall experience? No. I just did not pay attention to this little things. But in some areas refurbishment is really overdue. The aft windows in the lower dining room are really not nice. Our OV cabin was very cosy and we liked it.

 

I would recommend to give the Rotterdam a try.

 

regards

MBerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have sailed the Rotterdam many times in the past, and have booked 29 days on the Rotterdam from Rotterdam to Ft. Lauderdale in Oct 2020.   According to HAL's "Ships at a Glance" chart, the Rotterdam is scheduled to have the Mix bar and piano bar area gutted and Billboard Onboard installed by a drydock just before Dec 9, 2019.   But I checked the sailing schedule of the Rotterdam, and every day from now to Oct. 2020 is a scheduled cruise.   I don't see any 2-week period where such a large renovation could take place.   I checked the Drydocks, and Groups onboard post on CC and they do not show a drydock (or a wetdock) for the Rotterdam.   Does anyone have any updates on this ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotterdam for its age has been well maintained. Was last in dry dock approx 1 1/2 years ago.... as I remember had

On 6/7/2019 at 2:43 AM, TheLizardHouse said:

 

some issues for weeks. Plumbing is major challenge. Past passengers love HAL smaller ships, but they are definitely aging and in my opinion just don’t take well to the venue updates as layout doesn’t accommodate the that well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed on the Rotterdam in January for two weeks, then immediately sailed on her slightly younger sister, the Volendam.

It was hard to believe these  ships were twins operated by the same line.

The Rotterdam showed extensive wear, shoddy repairs,  cracked tile and plenty of rust. There was a mix of deck chairs, many like my Costco patio loungers, not teak. Worst looking Holland ship we've ever seen, by far.

By comparison, the Volendam was as gorgeous as when we sailed on it 17 years earlier. 

That said, Rotterdam's cosmetic defects did not concern us, and the ship's staff was far more efficient than the Volendam's, making the Rotterdam the better cruise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, TAD2005 said:

Oct. 2020 is a scheduled cruise.   

 

We are planning to book this cruise from Rotterdam to Fort Lauderdale via Barcelona. We are worried about the age of the ship and were also looking at a Viking ship, but the Rotterdam has the better itinerary. She has Bilbao, Valencia and Casablanca on her route. That is extraordinary. Bilbao and Valencia are on my wish list and I have never found them on the same itinerary before.  

By the way, we also live in Central Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy your cruise.

We loved sailing on ms Rotterdam a couple of years ago and hope that you do too.

Barbara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

 

We are planning to book this cruise from Rotterdam to Fort Lauderdale via Barcelona. We are worried about the age of the ship and were also looking at a Viking ship, but the Rotterdam has the better itinerary. She has Bilbao, Valencia and Casablanca on her route. That is extraordinary. Bilbao and Valencia are on my wish list and I have never found them on the same itinerary before.  

By the way, we also live in Central Florida.

We cruised on the Rotterdam from Tampa for 21 days in 2016.   Great cruise, no problems.   We love the traditional, intimate piano bars that were on all HAL ships before the Billboard Onboard dueling pianos came along.   That change eliminated the really great piano bar musicians from being able to work on many HAL ships.   The new musicians from Billboard Corporation usually have never performed together in a "dual" setting before they board the ship and start their contract.   Usually you get one good musician and one weak one.   Occasionally you get 2 good ones.  But we prefer the traditional piano bar that is in the "Mix" area, and hope it stays that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be sailing on Rotterdam, this fall, and would like to know if there are more outlets in the Staterooms than just the  two at the desk, as in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughters reported only two outlets in an A cabin. Think we had more in a Neptune. Plus a couple of USB ports in lamp bases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

We will be sailing on Rotterdam, this fall, and would like to know if there are more outlets in the Staterooms than just the  two at the desk, as in the past.

On ms Rotterdam this month: Oceanview cabins: 2 outlets (EU 230V USA 110V) and 2 USB ports (new).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, MAVIP said:

On ms Rotterdam this month: Oceanview cabins: 2 outlets (EU 230V USA 110V) and 2 USB ports (new).

 

Hi, MAVIP.

 

Could you possibly do me a big favor and ask if she is scheduled to go into dry dock in the November/December 2020 timeframe?  We're booked on her for a 32 day Hawaii/Tahiti RT out of San Diego on November 17, 2020 and someone on the roll call said they were just on her and were told by a crew member that HAL will be swapping out the Rotterdam with the Zaandam for our cruise because she will be going through drydock.  I see that it shows the Zaandam, not the Rotterdam, in HAL's newest 2020-2021 eBrochure.  This is a concern because we and another couple booked specific suite locations and if they switch ships but keep us in the same suite number, we won't be anywhere close to where we want to be.  This is a first for us and until it shows up on HAL's actual website, I'm not sure what to do.

 

Anyway, if you find out anything on your cruise, it would be most appreciated if you could post back here!

 

Thanks!!  And enjoy your upcoming cruise.  🙂  

 

PS - @Copper10-8  John, do you have any way to confirm this?  Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 3:17 AM, zelker said:

 

Hi, MAVIP.

 

Could you possibly do me a big favor and ask if she is scheduled to go into dry dock in the November/December 2020 timeframe?  We're booked on her for a 32 day Hawaii/Tahiti RT out of San Diego on November 17, 2020 and someone on the roll call said they were just on her and were told by a crew member that HAL will be swapping out the Rotterdam with the Zaandam for our cruise because she will be going through drydock.  I see that it shows the Zaandam, not the Rotterdam, in HAL's newest 2020-2021 eBrochure.  This is a concern because we and another couple booked specific suite locations and if they switch ships but keep us in the same suite number, we won't be anywhere close to where we want to be.  This is a first for us and until it shows up on HAL's actual website, I'm not sure what to do.

 

Anyway, if you find out anything on your cruise, it would be most appreciated if you could post back here!

 

Thanks!!  And enjoy your upcoming cruise.  🙂  

 

PS - @Copper10-8  John, do you have any way to confirm this?  Thx.

Of course. It is not mentioned yet in the list on CC. I made a note to ask on board as from next Saturday. You could send me your e-mail address and I will do my utmost to answer earlier than the date of my disembarkation.   My address (without the spaces) is iperen jl  at  box   dot   nl     Thanks for your good wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...