Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ColoradoCherry

Amazon orders delivered to the port?

Recommended Posts

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to order things on Amazon and have delivered to the port to pick up on embarkation day.  Trying to figure out how to bring my mom's bottled water and diet coke and thought I'd avoid all issues of packing/hauling if I could have Amazon pantry take care of the hassle.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most ports in the US are secure areas which, like airports, require vehicles entering the port to have a boarding pass or a legitimate port vehicle pass like taxis.   Amazon delivery requires a street address.   Considering the chaos that normally surrounds a cruise ship port, I would think Amazon would politely say No Thanks.   For sodas and bottled water, give yourself and your mom a real treat on the cruise and buy a Quench non-alcoholic beverage package.   That way, when your mom is thirsty, she doesn't have to run back to the cabin to grab something cool.  She just asks any waiter or bartender for a cold soda or water and show the card.  And you can buy as many sodas or bottles of water as you want and stock your cabin fridge.  Ask your room steward to remove all of the fridge contents when you board, leaving the fridge empty.   People spend thousands of $$$ on a cruise, but try to save a little by humping heavy cases of water and soda all over the embarkation city and onto the ship.  And you can't try to smuggle it in your checked luggage.  HAL x-rays all bags and catches most flats of soda and water.   HAL doesn't want broken cans of soda leaking all over the carpets when they deliver your bags to your cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had parcels delivered to my good friend who worked on a ship. 

Have to send them to the Port Agent who in turn delivered it to her.

Doubt they will want to be lugging water and Diet Coke 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColoradoCherry said:

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to order things on Amazon and have delivered to the port to pick up on embarkation day.  Trying to figure out how to bring my mom's bottled water and diet coke and thought I'd avoid all issues of packing/hauling if I could have Amazon pantry take care of the hassle.

 

 

Interesting idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current policy is that you have to carry soda and water on board.  You can't check them to be delivered to your cabin.  So how would that work with an Amazon delivery?  They certainly aren't going to let the delivery person bring it to your cabin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a port like Miami, they could meet you at the curb.  In a port like Fort Lauderdale, I don't think they'd get past security to drive onto the property.  So, a lot of whether or not it is feasible would be up to Amazon and their requirements for delivery times/places and whether or not they would even have access to the port.  Your primary concern would be where you would meet them for the delivery.  I don't know that it's completely impossible, but there would be a lot of moving parts involved.  If you're staying at a hotel, perhaps they could deliver there, and you could take it with you to the port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Most ports in the US are secure areas which, like airports, require vehicles entering the port to have a boarding pass or a legitimate port vehicle pass like taxis.   Amazon delivery requires a street address.   Considering the chaos that normally surrounds a cruise ship port, I would think Amazon would politely say No Thanks.   For sodas and bottled water, give yourself and your mom a real treat on the cruise and buy a Quench non-alcoholic beverage package.   That way, when your mom is thirsty, she doesn't have to run back to the cabin to grab something cool.  She just asks any waiter or bartender for a cold soda or water and show the card.  And you can buy as many sodas or bottles of water as you want and stock your cabin fridge.  Ask your room steward to remove all of the fridge contents when you board, leaving the fridge empty.   People spend thousands of $$$ on a cruise, but try to save a little by humping heavy cases of water and soda all over the embarkation city and onto the ship.  And you can't try to smuggle it in your checked luggage.  HAL x-rays all bags and catches most flats of soda and water.   HAL doesn't want broken cans of soda leaking all over the carpets when they deliver your bags to your cabin.

Tad...  Excellent suggestion

 

Amazon will not  deal with deliVery to a ruise   ship.   My Ama zon deliveries come from different  carriers.... USPS, UPs,   Fed EX, local delivery drivers... I don't always know which will be bringing my package but I do know I would Not start  with requesting they go through the necessary steps to gain entry to the port.  To whom  would you tell them to  deliver it ?  How do you know that party will be available and when and would be willing to accept it and be bothered securing or seeing to its delivery to your cabin?  Why should they?     What chaos if many guests expected such service.  Busy enough on embarkation  day to be  bothered.  If you wan t  casews  of  beverages.....  manage  them  yourselves IMO sorry to be so direct but you did  ask.

 

That sort of service may work for a private yacht but a huge cruise  ship?  I think not.

 

I suggest you        order  whatever beverage you want when you want it and   a steward will serve you. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diet Coke and water was available for purchase the last time we cruised with HAL, has this changed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Stop by Publix on the way to the port.

I fly in the day before departure and in the US I go to the nearest CVS or Walgreens  to my hotel.  I've put a case of Canada Dry ginger ale (only one I'll drink) and a couple of bottles of water in one of those plastic dollar store bags that you can zip.  Then I add a luggage tag and off load it at the port with my luggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On turnaround days in FLL, I've sometimes had Amazon ship items to an Amazon Locker, which are automated. Neither of the ones I've used are within an easy distance if you are carrying a case of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Stop by Publix on the way to the port.

This......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Diet Coke and water was available for purchase the last time we cruised with HAL, has this changed?
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

He/she may not want to pay for either onboard.  We buy the drink package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, przyk said:

The current policy is that you have to carry soda and water on board.  You can't check them to be delivered to your cabin.  So how would that work with an Amazon delivery?  They certainly aren't going to let the delivery person bring it to your cabin.  

 

I didn't say I wanted delivered to the cabin.  I asked if it was possible to deliver to the port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, woodworker&knitter said:

I have had parcels delivered to my good friend who worked on a ship. 

Have to send them to the Port Agent who in turn delivered it to her.

Doubt they will want to be lugging water and Diet Coke 

 

That's exactly my experience.  My daughter worked on the ships (Holland America to be specific) and I've sent things to the port agent for her in the past, but it's been several years.  I didn't know if Amazon would be able to send to the port agent the same way I could, and times change and I don't have any current knowledge since she is no longer working for HAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

He/she may not want to pay for either onboard.  We buy the drink package.

 

 

Ha ha ha, that's exactly right!  I don't want the drink package.  Neither of us drink enough to make it worth the expense.  I just wanted to bring a small supply to keep her satisfied.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColoradoCherry said:

 

 

Ha ha ha, that's exactly right!  I don't want the drink package.  Neither of us drink enough to make it worth the expense.  I just wanted to bring a small supply to keep her satisfied.  

 

If you don't need a lot, why not just buy it on the ship? Think of it as part of "the cost of travel."

 

Or pick up a six-pack of the soda and a couple bottles of water to carry on with you for starters and buy more in port when you need it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Stop by Publix on the way to the port.

 

Yes, I am not a dummy - I know I can stop anywhere to buy anything on the way to the port.  What I was asking was if it was possible to have it delivered to the port.  

 

I'll already be handling all the luggage for my mother so I thought if it was POSSIBLE to have it delivered to the PORT then I would do that because it's an idea I had and didn't know the answer.  And I thought this was a place to ask questions to get information on things, like an answer that was connected to my question, not an alternate solution, but thanks for taking time to answer.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

If you don't need a lot, why not just buy it on the ship? Think of it as part of "the cost of travel."

 

Or pick up a six-pack of the soda and a couple bottles of water to carry on with you for starters and buy more in port when you need it.

 

 

That's totally do able except mom is particular, like lots of old people, she likes specific things.  Like she wants diet coke in a bottle with a twisty top.  And she likes Dasani water.  

 

I've already thought about stopping somewhere to pick things up.  However it's complicated because she is not mobile enough to walk around Seattle with me and also doesn't want to be left sitting somewhere while I go shopping.

 

I can pack it - without any issue.  I just will be handling the luggage and thought this might be a solution to not have such heavy bags.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Tad...  Excellent suggestion

 

Amazon will not  deal with deliVery to a ruise   ship.   My Ama zon deliveries come from different  carriers.... USPS, UPs,   Fed EX, local delivery drivers... I don't always know which will be bringing my package but I do know I would Not start  with requesting they go through the necessary steps to gain entry to the port.  To whom  would you tell them to  deliver it ?  How do you know that party will be available and when and would be willing to accept it and be bothered securing or seeing to its delivery to your cabin?  Why should they?     What chaos if many guests expected such service.  Busy enough on embarkation  day to be  bothered.  If you wan t  casews  of  beverages.....  manage  them  yourselves IMO sorry to be so direct but you did  ask.

 

That sort of service may work for a private yacht but a huge cruise  ship?  I think not.

 

I suggest you        order  whatever beverage you want when you want it and   a steward will serve you. 

 

 

 

 

If you don't have experience with my specific question, a simple "I don't know" would have sufficed - if even necessary.  I was trying to seek information from someone who has tried and either been successful or unsuccessful.  

 

But to answer your questions -

 

I would deliver it to the port agent. Delivery agencies already have clearance to access the port.  The port receives mail and parcels daily  - this is not an uncommon occurrence.

 

Also,  I didn't say I needed anyone schlepping cases of anything anywhere. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you staying somewhere the night before? Totally unrelated to cruising but on our land vacations we’ve had Amazon deliver groceries to resort/hotel properties— I’m specifically thinking of Hilton resorts and Disney properties. (We have a small child... and thank goodness for Amazon delivery on vacation...)If you’re flying in the day before, could you check with the hotel and see if they would  take delivery? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ColoradoCherry said:

can pack it - without any issue.  I just will be handling the luggage and thought this might be a solution to not have such heavy bags.  

 

If you don't take a lot, could you put it in a.backpack? I find that easier than extra suitcase weight. And idfyou get wheelchair assistance at boarding you can put the backpack on your mom's lap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Most ports in the US are secure areas which, like airports, require vehicles entering the port to have a boarding pass or a legitimate port vehicle pass like taxis.   Amazon delivery requires a street address.   Considering the chaos that normally surrounds a cruise ship port, I would think Amazon would politely say No Thanks.   For sodas and bottled water, give yourself and your mom a real treat on the cruise and buy a Quench non-alcoholic beverage package.   That way, when your mom is thirsty, she doesn't have to run back to the cabin to grab something cool.  She just asks any waiter or bartender for a cold soda or water and show the card.  And you can buy as many sodas or bottles of water as you want and stock your cabin fridge.  Ask your room steward to remove all of the fridge contents when you board, leaving the fridge empty.   People spend thousands of $$$ on a cruise, but try to save a little by humping heavy cases of water and soda all over the embarkation city and onto the ship.  And you can't try to smuggle it in your checked luggage.  HAL x-rays all bags and catches most flats of soda and water.   HAL doesn't want broken cans of soda leaking all over the carpets when they deliver your bags to your cabin.

 

If it's allowed to bring soda and water on the ship, it's not smuggling.  And there is nothing illegal about trying to save money - I travel a lot and try to make my money goes as far as possible.  I also take care of my mother.  I know what she wants and needs and was trying to take care of her the way I always do.

 

I am well aware of security issues around the ports.

 

For what it's worth - this cruise leaves in September and I'm not spending thousands on it.  I'm booking last minute because I just received my schedule for September and have 7 days off and found a cruise that would line up with this time off.  I was in San Diego and Orlando and Norway in August.  I go where I can when I can for a price I can afford.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dulciana8 said:

Are you staying somewhere the night before? Totally unrelated to cruising but on our land vacations we’ve had Amazon deliver groceries to resort/hotel properties— I’m specifically thinking of Hilton resorts and Disney properties. (We have a small child... and thank goodness for Amazon delivery on vacation...)If you’re flying in the day before, could you check with the hotel and see if they would  take delivery? 

 

This is great information - and I wish we were arriving ahead of the cruise because that would totally work - - but my sister is graduating the night before, and I'll be working until 11:30pm the night before so plan to fly in as early as possible the morning of embarkation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ColoradoCherry said:

 

This is great information - and I wish we were arriving ahead of the cruise because that would totally work - - but my sister is graduating the night before, and I'll be working until 11:30pm the night before so plan to fly in as early as possible the morning of embarkation.  

Bummer! We’ve done this delivery a handful of times on our land vacations and it’s saved our sanity. I hope you can figure something out!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...