Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ColoradoCherry

Amazon orders delivered to the port?

Recommended Posts

I was going to offer some follow up advice, but this snippy attitude is not for me. I'm out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColoradoCherry said:

 

 

Ha ha ha, that's exactly right!  I don't want the drink package.  Neither of us drink enough to make it worth the expense.  I just wanted to bring a small supply to keep her satisfied.  

Perfectly legit answer....haha.  Have you looked at the quench package?  I know soda is included but not sure about bottled water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, przyk said:

I was going to offer some follow up advice, but this snippy attitude is not for me. I'm out.

What snippy attitude?  She doesn't want water delivered to her cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

If you don't need a lot, why not just buy it on the ship? Think of it as part of "the cost of travel."

 

Or pick up a six-pack of the soda and a couple bottles of water to carry on with you for starters and buy more in port when you need it.

 

 

 

 

  ^^  Yes, that.

Diet coke and water is available  from all the ship's bars.  If that   does not suit, a  six pack or  two should be quite manageable for you to carry aboard.

 

 

 

image.png.a5c849c38b2156b11108a5fee995cea8.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I fly in the day before departure and in the US I go to the nearest CVS or Walgreens  to my hotel.  I've put a case of Canada Dry ginger ale (only one I'll drink) and a couple of bottles of water in one of those plastic dollar store bags that you can zip.  Then I add a luggage tag and off load it at the port with my luggage.

HAL has specific policies that any soda or water MUST be carried on by the passenger.  You cannot pack it into a "dollar store zip bag" and put a luggage tag on it.   All luggage is loaded into a huge metal cage with hundreds of pounds of other bags in top of it.  That cage is delivered to the ship by fork lift.   If your "dollar store" bag is near the bottom of hundreds of pounds if other luggage, the weight will squash your soda cans and water bottles and your luggage and many other passengers luggage will be soaked with sticky soda and water.   Are you willing to pay the cleaning charges for those passengers clothes ?   That's why HAL prohibits any sodas and water in checked luggage.   People have gotten away with doing it, but why take that chance ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Bring a six pack  or  t wo at embarkation......   If  your mother wants more,   buy more in port and bring it aboard.

 

If  you don't like this suggestion, fine but kindly  do not scold me  for posting  this alternative  idea.

 

image.png.95571e106e39ea0909b06a8b9335cab3.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ColoradoCherry said:

 

If you don't have experience with my specific question, a simple "I don't know" would have sufficed - if even necessary.  I was trying to seek information from someone who has tried and either been successful or unsuccessful.  

 

But to answer your questions -

 

I would deliver it to the port agent. Delivery agencies already have clearance to access the port.  The port receives mail and parcels daily  - this is not an uncommon occurrence.

 

Also,  I didn't say I needed anyone schlepping cases of anything anywhere. 

 

 

While you are correct, that port agents will have a TWIC card allowing them into the port security areas, and that the agents do get and deliver mail to the ship from corporate, and to the crew, they are paid to do this.  They are not paid to deliver guest mail, especially packages, so I would be hesitant to draw similarities between crew mail and passenger mail.  The only way to get a correct answer would be to contact HAL's agent in the port in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to do an Amazon Prime Now order and have them meet you outside the port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Emu2302 said:

Would it be possible to do an Amazon Prime Now order and have them meet you outside the port?

I did this while I was sick in a land hotel recently, but they give you a two hour window in which they will deliver.  I don't think the OP wants to potentially stand outside with her mother for two hours to a spot the person may not be able to even gain access to over bottled water.

 

The OP wants to be able to walk into a building, ask for her package that was delivered by Amazon, and walk on the ship.  It doesn't seem like this is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also trying to figure out a good way to bring on soda for our cruise. My husband is a soda addict (5-8 cans/day) but l really don’t want to buy the drink package (even the soda one) for all 5 members of our family staying in our cabin.

My current plan is to buy (on Amazon) a light weight dolly (4lbs) that folds up and bring it with us on our flight packed in a suitcase. Then hit a store in Ft. Lauderdale and get a few 24 packs to try and make it through the week. My only concern is if the hotel shuttle will balk at this for our morning transfer.

(Folding hand truck 4 wheel, 165 lbs, heavy duty)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JESSMANN said:

My current plan is to buy (on Amazon) a light weight dolly (4lbs) that folds up and bring it with us on our flight packed in a suitcase. Then hit a store in Ft. Lauderdale and get a few 24 packs to try and make it through the week. My only concern is if the hotel shuttle will balk at this for our morning transfer.

You can also bring more soda aboard at ports. It would seem to be easier on embarkation to bring sufficient soda to start, then bring more aboard later in the cruise. 
Your hands will be a lot freer later in the cruise, and there will be less to store if it isn't all brought aboard at once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JESSMANN said:

I am also trying to figure out a good way to bring on soda for our cruise. My husband is a soda addict (5-8 cans/day) but l really don’t want to buy the drink package (even the soda one) for all 5 members of our family staying in our cabin.

My current plan is to buy (on Amazon) a light weight dolly (4lbs) that folds up and bring it with us on our flight packed in a suitcase. Then hit a store in Ft. Lauderdale and get a few 24 packs to try and make it through the week. My only concern is if the hotel shuttle will balk at this for our morning transfer.

(Folding hand truck 4 wheel, 165 lbs, heavy duty)

 

Depending on your itinerary, you could just replenish along the way.  In San Juan, for example, there is a CVS (maybe it's Walgreens?) right at the port where the ships dock.  Easy enough to grab a couple of twelve packs and take them back on board.

Edited by bEwAbG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, epanchenko said:

I did this while I was sick in a land hotel recently, but they give you a two hour window in which they will deliver.  I don't think the OP wants to potentially stand outside with her mother for two hours to a spot the person may not be able to even gain access to over bottled water.

 

The OP wants to be able to walk into a building, ask for her package that was delivered by Amazon, and walk on the ship.  It doesn't seem like this is possible.

 

There really isn't a good area to hang around near the port. Lots of traffic, nowhere to sit/stand. 

 

34 minutes ago, JESSMANN said:

I am also trying to figure out a good way to bring on soda for our cruise. My husband is a soda addict (5-8 cans/day) but l really don’t want to buy the drink package (even the soda one) for all 5 members of our family staying in our cabin.

My current plan is to buy (on Amazon) a light weight dolly (4lbs) that folds up and bring it with us on our flight packed in a suitcase. Then hit a store in Ft. Lauderdale and get a few 24 packs to try and make it through the week. My only concern is if the hotel shuttle will balk at this for our morning transfer.

(Folding hand truck 4 wheel, 165 lbs, heavy duty)

 

The shuttle might not like the extra "luggage," so be sure to ask in advance. Or consider Uber and specify that you have 5 people and lots of luggage. Or ask the hotel to call a taxi that can meet your needs. Unless your hotel has a free shuttle, it's cheaper to use Uber or a taxi than pay 5 shuttle fares.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

 

Depending on your itinerary, you could just replenish along the way.  In San Juan, for example, there is a CVS (maybe it's Walgreens?) right at the port where the ships dock.  Easy enough to grab a couple of twelve packs and take them back on board.

 

San Juan has both, about a block apart. It's rare to see one without the other nearby. Very convenient to pick up things you need.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JESSMANN said:

I am also trying to figure out a good way to bring on soda for our cruise. My husband is a soda addict (5-8 cans/day) but l really don’t want to buy the drink package (even the soda one) for all 5 members of our family staying in our cabin.

 

5 people (adults ???) in one cabin ???  I sure hope you are booked into the Pinnacle Suite !!   It's tough on a cruise with 3 adults sharing one small bathroom, forget about 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

5 people (adults ???) in one cabin ???  I sure hope you are booked into the Pinnacle Suite !!   It's tough on a cruise with 3 adults sharing one small bathroom, forget about 5.

 

they must be in a family cabin on the K or N.S.  No other cabin on any other ship that I know of can hold more than 4 - not even the PS on the other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we are in a family cabin on the NS. (Kids ages 14, 11 and 5) We should all fit 😉

Thanks for the suggestions about San Juan, but we are doing the HMC, Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel. I’ve also been thinking about pre purchasing some of the drink debit cards for later in our trip.

Edited by JESSMANN
Updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JESSMANN said:

Yes, we are in a family cabin on the NS. (Kids ages 14, 11 and 5) We should all fit 😉

Thanks for the suggestions about San Juan, but we are doing the HMC, Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel. I’ve also been thinking about pre purchasing some of the drink debit cards for later in our trip.

 

Well, there are definitely stores in all of those ports excluding HMC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, TAD2005 said:

HAL has specific policies that any soda or water MUST be carried on by the passenger.  You cannot pack it into a "dollar store zip bag" and put a luggage tag on it.   All luggage is loaded into a huge metal cage with hundreds of pounds of other bags in top of it.  That cage is delivered to the ship by fork lift.   If your "dollar store" bag is near the bottom of hundreds of pounds if other luggage, the weight will squash your soda cans and water bottles and your luggage and many other passengers luggage will be soaked with sticky soda and water.   Are you willing to pay the cleaning charges for those passengers clothes ?   That's why HAL prohibits any sodas and water in checked luggage.   People have gotten away with doing it, but why take that chance ?

 

As best I can tell, HAL does *not* have a policy saying that soda and water must be carried on. At least, it doesn't appear on their web site or in any passenger documentation, and when I've asked on this board before, nobody was able to point to the actual policy. If you can provide a pointer to such a policy, I'll gladly eat my words and apologize. But in the meantime, I have severe doubts that the policy exists.

 

Perhaps it's a good idea not to check soda/water. But it's strange to me that it's only the HAL board where I've seen this argument, and boards for other cruise lines instead suggest checking in cases of water. The facilities for handling luggage are the same for all cruise lines, so why would extra care be needed only on HAL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity has started telling people that they must carry it on.  One of their social media people posted as a response to the question that porters at certain ports have stopped accepting cases of soda and water as checked luggage so the default now is to tell everyone it is not allowed because they don't know if it will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougK said:

 

As best I can tell, HAL does *not* have a policy saying that soda and water must be carried on. At least, it doesn't appear on their web site or in any passenger documentation, and when I've asked on this board before, nobody was able to point to the actual policy. If you can provide a pointer to such a policy, I'll gladly eat my words and apologize. But in the meantime, I have severe doubts that the policy exists.

 

Perhaps it's a good idea not to check soda/water. But it's strange to me that it's only the HAL board where I've seen this argument, and boards for other cruise lines instead suggest checking in cases of water. The facilities for handling luggage are the same for all cruise lines, so why would extra care be needed only on HAL?

 

Probably not the only policy that has been implemented by the members of this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DougK said:

 

As best I can tell, HAL does *not* have a policy saying that soda and water must be carried on. At least, it doesn't appear on their web site or in any passenger documentation, and when I've asked on this board before, nobody was able to point to the actual policy. If you can provide a pointer to such a policy, I'll gladly eat my words and apologize. But in the meantime, I have severe doubts that the policy exists.

 

Perhaps it's a good idea not to check soda/water. But it's strange to me that it's only the HAL board where I've seen this argument, and boards for other cruise lines instead suggest checking in cases of water. The facilities for handling luggage are the same for all cruise lines, so why would extra care be needed only on HAL?

 

It is HAL policy.  The question has been asked on their FB page and it was clearly answered by HAL.  That has been copied and posted here several times.  Feel free to search or to ask HAL the question yourself - whether you choose to post on their FB page or write them.

 

I don’t know why it isn’t on their website.  They just need to change the wording to say “all drinks including wine must be carried on”. 

 

8 hours ago, przyk said:

 

Probably not the only policy that has been implemented by the members of this board.

 

An uncalled for statement.  No one has implemented it here.  It’s HAL policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...