Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

12 minutes ago, Siobhan said:

Do NCL offer full value in credit if a 5 day gets shortened to a 3 day?

No way the Sky can get shortened to a 3 day.  Monday a lot worst weather than tomarrow.

We are due to be on the Sun on Monday but looks like it will be Wednesday at the earliest that it could leave. Really wish NCL would issue some updates

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, stormynow said:

No way the Sky can get shortened to a 3 day.  Monday a lot worst weather than tomarrow.

Sky is turn and burn tomorrow or going to cancelled. Hoping for the best.. I can see the port from the beach in the distance.  Maybe someone can toss a few drinks off and they can float my way.

Edited by NyYankees2k3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cruising grandma said:

I know this is all about Dorian, but has anyone noticed there’s another disturbance right off the African coast?

watching Mike's Weather Page on Facebook (I'd encourage everyone to check out) yesterday he mentioned that he saw a pair of lows 10 days out coming off of Africa that were heading west, back to back. 

😕

Edited by Lukin5

16 hours ago, Traciewatson said:

On the phone waiting for Royal right now. Does anyone know how this will work if you cancel? It says get the refund 9/20 does that mean I have to wait until 9/20 to book my next cruise? Plus, I paid with their new finance program UPLift so do I just keep paying for a cruise I’m not going on? And looks like no credit discount for future cruises either if you cancel just a credit for the cruise fare only? Now what if we go and cannot get on the ship  9/4 due to damage then is it again just a 100% fare credit after you spent all that extra money to be there and wait for them to go? Sorry I’m just feeling overwhelmed and sad 

all i got back for my shortened 4 day cruise to 2 day was full credit in future cruise credits, Really think they should have refunded money. Im not leaving one afternon going to coca cay and returning next morning, you cant or dont know if you can even fly into aiports. I opted cancel and fly to aruba

9 minutes ago, NyYankees2k3 said:

Sweet.. NCL Sky!!!! Drinks on me!!!!! Lololol

See you in the boat!!!

Man, am I going to need that drink!   Stormy

Posted (edited)

I have seen multiple postings from different people who are on on the Breakaway in Cozumel that the Captain has made an announcement that they were leaving Cozumel today. They were told that they were going to be back in port Sunday as scheduled. Nothing official from NCL on this yet. 

Edited by gapeachcruzr

Posted (edited)

On Carnival Sunshine right now.   We were going to Key West Saturday.   Now we are turning around and expected to dock Monday morning in Charleston.  😔

Edited by o2bonn

4 minutes ago, o2bonn said:

On Carnival Sunshine right now.   We were going to Key West Saturday.   Now we are turning around and expected to dock Monday morning in Charleston.  😔

Oh no, so sorry to hear that.  I wonder what they will offer you for compensation.  I am on the Sunshine on Monday but I really wonder where they will be sending us.  I can't imagine that we will be able to go south as planned.

1 minute ago, o2bonn said:

50% refund and 50% future cruise discount.

I sure hope the mood on the boat isn't too bad.  I hope everyone is having as much fun as they can within the circumstances.

12 minutes ago, o2bonn said:

Thanks for that update.  I was wondering if you had time to get to KW and then back before the storm arrived.  Apparently not.

Safe travels.

23 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Oh no, so sorry to hear that.  I wonder what they will offer you for compensation.  I am on the Sunshine on Monday but I really wonder where they will be sending us.  I can't imagine that we will be able to go south as planned.

Was talking to my wife about this too.  We may be on a cruise to nowhere as well.  There's not many places we could get to with the storm still out there I would think.  I don't know that we could get down to PR or St Thomas area, Nassau could be a mess, HMC will likely be a mess.  Bermuda is an option, but not likely with no berths left.

2 hours ago, cruising grandma said:

I know this is all about Dorian, but has anyone noticed there’s another disturbance right off the African coast?

Yup. I made a new separate post. 

1 hour ago, Lukin5 said:

watching Mike's Weather Page on Facebook (I'd encourage everyone to check out) yesterday he mentioned that he saw a pair of lows 10 days out coming off of Africa that were heading west, back to back. 

😕

Yup.  I made a new separate post.

1 hour ago, gapeachcruzr said:

I have seen multiple postings from different people who are on on the Breakaway in Cozumel that the Captain has made an announcement that they were leaving Cozumel today. They were told that they were going to be back in port Sunday as scheduled. Nothing official from NCL on this yet. 

Chaos.  How can they get people to come back in time?

1 hour ago, o2bonn said:

More Chaos.

So the slowdown continues with FL landfall 2am Tuesday, so now ships are rushing to return to port and back out Sunday.

Very dangerous conditions still expected all over Florida, no change in path to landfall or strength, just speed slowing which is worse.  But that turn I mentioned this morning is even sooner, running up I-95 now, which makes for the center of the storm all along the coast. terrible for storm surge and wind.

Freeport is going to take a terrible beating first.  I am getting plugged in to my island sources tonight.

Do we know, are there any cruise ships in drydock in Freeport?  I wonder what happens if there are.

Roy

Marine Traffic says no cruise ships. There is a big oil tanker there now. I imagine that if they can they will work quick to make it seaworthy and get it out. 

ICYMI

"Important announcement for our guests sailing on our Celebrity Equinox 7-Night Eastern Caribbean cruise departing August 31 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida: As you may be aware, Hurricane Dorian is forecast to affect South Florida this weekend. In order to depart Fort Lauderdale ahead of any adverse weather, we will be departing one hour earlier at 2:30 PM on Saturday, August 31st. We will begin boarding at 10:30 AM, so please plan on arriving to the pier early to help expedite our check-in process. All guests must be on board 60 minutes prior to our scheduled departure. We’ll continue to keep a close eye on the weather conditions. If we need to make any changes to your itinerary, we will let you know as soon as we can. Your safety and the safety of our crew is our primary concern. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and we look forward to providing you an amazing vacation."

from Fb

7 hours ago, ncurcio said:

Would you mind elaborating? I am still getting nowhere with them

"Swine flu" was declared and all ships to Mexico could not go. We were en route when it happened. Princess came through with a new trip and vouchers before the trip started. Everyone was posting to Cruise critic and comparing deals. Carnival did not offer much but as pressure mounted because of what the other lines were doing, eventually they raised the ante. Best wishes-sorry so late getting back to you, I had hurricane prep at the house to do!