Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Yup. Category 5 and one of the lowest central pressures I’ve ever seen.  I am glad all you stuck in Florida are not likely to see dangerous conditions now... but we are still depending on the critical north turn so stay informed. I see Breakaway turned around and is in a cluster of 7 ships sailing SW. another cluster of ships is sailing SE along the coast of Cuba to get around  under and behind the storm. The storm looks just like Andrew did to me. I am very sad for the Bahamas. 24 hours at Cat 5 or 4 is not going to leave much on the north islands and I worry for their safety even in shelters.


Many of us are looking at this storm in full knowledge that the smallest wobble or extended time to turn will create enormous destruction in Florida.  My next door neighbor is a born and raised Floridian and he just told me that this storm has him concerned, and that we can't let down our guard because this one isn't over until it's over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're planning on evacuating Hilton Head Island by Tuesday morning (as of now).  I don't want to be a sitting duck when they announce mandatory evacs on Wednesday and the only hwy out (278) is packed out to I 95 (like what happened when Matthew hit in 2016).  We left a day before the mandatory and were able to drive to Macon, Ga with a lot less traffic than the next day.

Looks like we might be headed in the same direction.  Just no way am I staying on this island for this monster storm.  We're

30 miles from Savannah and 90 miles from Charleston.  Too close for comfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

This hurricane is awful.  I am worried about our condo, BUT I am much more worried about loss of life and people getting hurt.  Where will all these people go afterwards.  As for me it is our winter home, so if lost, I am still fine.  But the people who it is their only home, what a lost for them.  I pray that no lives will be lost.  The Bahamas will get hit very hard, God help them.

 

DorianCATEGORY 5 Sep 1, 2019, 11:00:00 AM

WIND

180 MPH

GUSTS

220 MPH

26.50°N 76.80°W


We're already experiencing an affordable housing crisis in most of Florida.  This could make the situation much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

My apologies..Delta and American were amazing.  Delta rolled back their original Sept1-4 timeframe to Aug30 and American had it Aug29-Sept4 to begin with.  American even let us cancel our Sept8 flight which was out of the range because we mentioned Royal Caribbean and apparently they were told to make exceptions for their cruise partners.  

 

I'll have to have my friend call back.  Those are the airlines we were dealing with. When I called Thursday night to cancel my son's Friday 7 am flight on Delta they weren't willing to budge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Port Miami is closed. Tunnel closed at noon and all operations to be closed and off the island at 6pm.

 

I'm looking at Port Miami from my sofa and it's something to see absolutely nothing going on there on a Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

That’s great.

 


Yes it was! We weren't sure if they'd allow him to change a second time.  He was originally booked on a noonish flight out of SYR, so driving up from Broome Count this morning wasn't a bad thing.  Had he taken the 6:15 am flight he had originally changed to, he would have had to leave BC at 2:00 am to be able to fuel the rental car and return it, and woulnd't have time to stop at Wegman's to pick up a muffin for me.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

 

I'll have to have my friend call back.  Those are the airlines we were dealing with. When I called Thursday night to cancel my son's Friday 7 am flight on Delta they weren't willing to budge. 

Delta changed their website 530pm ish on Friday..definitely call!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

were  any ships at POM this morning ?

Friends were suppose to dock today 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

This hurricane is awful.  I am worried about our condo, BUT I am much more worried about loss of life and people getting hurt.  Where will all these people go afterwards.  As for me it is our winter home, so if lost, I am still fine.  But the people who it is their only home, what a lost for them.  I pray that no lives will be lost.  The Bahamas will get hit very hard, God help them.

 

DorianCATEGORY 5 Sep 1, 2019, 11:00:00 AM

WIND

180 MPH

GUSTS

220 MPH

26.50°N 76.80°W


We're already experiencing an affordable housing crisis in most of Florida.  This could make the situation much worse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

were  any ships at POM this morning ?

Friends were suppose to dock today 

 

I believe they all had to get out yesterday.  None were allowed to come in today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

were  any ships at POM this morning ?

Friends were suppose to dock today 

 

Which ship were they on?

Last night Carnival ship Horizon returned 1 night early & dumped PAX at POM and took off back out to sea empty

Edited by Boatsie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun bathing at Chankanaab, Cozumel Mexico!

I ain't complaining as of yet.

Maybe if NCL Sun is still in Cozumel on Thursday? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boatsie said:

Which ship were they on?

Last night Carnival ship Horizon returned 1 night early & dumped PAX at POM and took off back out to sea empty

Thanks

Not sure of the ship 

Just hoping they are safe  & can  a flight home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks

Not sure of the ship 

Just hoping they are safe  & can  a flight home

 

31 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks

Not sure of the ship 

Just hoping they are safe  & can  a flight home

There’s lots of ships that were supposed to arrive today (I was supposed to board one 😏) that are staying out to sea till at least Wednesday.  

If your friend is on one of those, they’ll be just fine.

if they got dumped last night, transport is still operating.  However, if they drove a car, getting gas might be an issue.

Either way, i’m sure they’ll be fine.  I bet the passengers have been working amongst themselves to offer assistance & suggestions.

Maybe send a quick text or email just to be sure.  The ships are letting people use limited WiFi serve for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Boatsie said:

Maybe send a quick text or email just to be sure.  The ships are letting people use limited WiFi serve for free.

They are nor responding  so we are hoping they are in the air  heading home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They are nor responding  so we are hoping they are in the air  heading home

I hope they are in the air coming home too.  Please post when you know where they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gizmoneil said:

Sun bathing at Chankanaab, Cozumel Mexico!

I ain't complaining as of yet.

Maybe if NCL Sun is still in Cozumel on Thursday? Lol

Do you know what the plan is for the Sun’s return?  Have you left Cozumel yet? Where are you sailing to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard that coastal Carolina is under mandatory evacuation beginning tomorrow at noon.  We are scheduled to leave on the carnival sunshine tomorrow from Charleston.  Does anyone know what this means for that cruise Tomorrow.  Well we still be able to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hilton Head Island up thru Charleston has now had a mandatory evacuation order beginning at noon tomorrow Monday Sept 2.  Guess that answers my questions about when to leave.  I 26 from Charleston to Columbia will be all lanes going westboard starting at noon as well as Hwy 278 from Hilton Head Island to I 95.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Hilton Head Island up thru Charleston has now had a mandatory evacuation order beginning at noon tomorrow Monday Sept 2.  Guess that answers my questions about when to leave.  I 26 from Charleston to Columbia will be all lanes going westboard starting at noon as well as Hwy 278 from Hilton Head Island to I 95.

 

Ours starts at 0800 Monday - fun Labor Day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are evacuating, hopefully it will not be like Hugo. With 4 lanes open it should be much better. I drove south on the Interstate and saw unbelievable backups going the other way. The stories everyone told were very memorable. One director of a mental health clinic said they had released all of the patients that they could except for the most needy. They then decided to put patients into individual staff cars to evac. The backups became full stops and after a while many folks were taking trips to roadside bushes for relief. He said, "Can you imagine being responsible for the welfare of individuals that on a good day might be difficult in a regular bathroom setting? For hours?' He said all trips in the future would be on a bus with a bathroom! Travel with refreshment and perhaps a bucket! Go early if you can. Good luck to all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Siobhan said:

Do you know what the plan is for the Sun’s return?  Have you left Cozumel yet? Where are you sailing to?

 

Funny you ask... we literally just got an announcement that we will be landing at Port in New Orleans on Tuesday morning 

Edited by gizmoneil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

 

Funny you ask... we literally just got an announcement that we will be landing at Port in New Orleans on Tuesday morning 

 

I got off in Cozumel this afternoon and feel like I absolutely made the right call.

 

I hope everyone gets home safely and enjoys the last day of the cruise.  I’ll be flying home from Cancun with no regrets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Just heard that coastal Carolina is under mandatory evacuation beginning tomorrow at noon.  We are scheduled to leave on the carnival sunshine tomorrow from Charleston.  Does anyone know what this means for that cruise Tomorrow.  Well we still be able to go?

Always a good idea to check directly with your cruise line:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6292

Edited by 6rugrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

 

Funny you ask... we literally just got an announcement that we will be landing at Port in New Orleans on Tuesday morning 

And Breakaway will be diverted there the following day.  Wow...that's going to be quite something to get everyone home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...