Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

And Breakaway will be diverted there the following day.  Wow...that's going to be quite something to get everyone home.

Wow! Yes, it will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jenidallas said:

 

I got off in Cozumel this afternoon and feel like I absolutely made the right call.

 

I hope everyone gets home safely and enjoys the last day of the cruise.  I’ll be flying home from Cancun with no regrets.

 

They're giving us 300 dollars for each person to compensate for change over fees and price difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

 

They're giving us 300 dollars for each person to compensate for change over fees and price difference. 

Does $300 even cover that?  You have to basically buy a last minute plane ticket!  No other compensation for your experience on this cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Just heard that coastal Carolina is under mandatory evacuation beginning tomorrow at noon.  We are scheduled to leave on the carnival sunshine tomorrow from Charleston.  Does anyone know what this means for that cruise Tomorrow.  Well we still be able to go?

 

It wouldn't seem likely as the workers and others who need to get to to the port may be not be allowed access even if the port happened to be open.  But, checking directly with Carnival is your best bet.

Edited by ricka47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting confused  Which cruise lines have stepped up to the plate and taken care of their PAX( cruise credit, OBC, allowed PAX to cancel)?  Has any cruise line not done anything for their PAX?.  Which air lines have been helpful, which ones not?

Maybe we can all form a list (copy and paste from one answer to the other) so we can compare and see what line stands out in being helpful.  Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston.  We left on time on Thursday and were notified at check in that we were skipping Princess Cays on Saturday and instead going to Key West.  Around 5pm on Friday the captain came on to let us know that based on current track of storm we would be turning around (we were just north of Miami off the coast of Florida) and heading back north.  We ended up staying off the coast of SC all day Sunday and arrived back in Charleston today.  We were told by our shuttle driver in the parking lot that those boarding the Sunshine today are staying on the ship in Charleston tonight and then they will determine the best course tomorrow.  Carnival did a fabulous job, refunded everyone 50% of our fare, plus 50% off a future cruise.  They kept us updated throughout the cruise, and today cruise director Adam was doing a great job of wishing everyone a safe journey home and out of Dorian's path.  I can't say enough good things about the cruise director's staff keeping everyone entertained for basically a 4 day trip to nowhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Just heard that coastal Carolina is under mandatory evacuation beginning tomorrow at noon.  We are scheduled to leave on the carnival sunshine tomorrow from Charleston.  Does anyone know what this means for that cruise Tomorrow.  Well we still be able to go?

Cruise Director Adam said this morning that it was still a go, but I don't know how anyone will get there as I-26 eastbound lanes are all closed in preparation for lane reversal starting at noon.  There is literally no way to get into Charleston that I can see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gizmoneil said:

 

Funny you ask... we literally just got an announcement that we will be landing at Port in New Orleans on Tuesday morning 

 

11 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

And Breakaway will be diverted there the following day.  Wow...that's going to be quite something to get everyone home.

@gizmoneil is that a change from plan?

@AshleyDillo is that your speculation or announced?  I have was out of touch for a while.

The Weather channel has someone in Charleston showing the Sunshine turnaround and suggesting they should get out fast, and noted their planned destination is the Bahamas... but wondering if they will be ready even in Nassau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

 

@gizmoneil is that a change from plan?

 

Norwegian does not currently have a ship in New Orleans. They're bringing in the Getaway in November. So I'm wondering if they'll make the stop in NOLA a port stop before continuing back to their Florida homeports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday morning and a difficult Labor Day for many.

 

Dorian is doing exactly what it has been predicted to do for the last 2 days.  The horrific video we have seen from Abaco is heartbreaking, and I fear Grand Bahama getting the same.  Even though the winds are lower today, it is still category 5 and has stalled to 1 mph which is like a constant tornado.

 

The path along the coast is still as predicted the last 2 days, and mandatory evacuations of beach and storm surge prone areas extend from Miami all the into the Carolinas.  Please leave if you are in these zones.  Do not underestimate the risk.

 

Ports are close and we are hearing of ships diverting away to other ports (New Orleans).  Would like to hear specifics from anyone knowing of these changes please.  Ship name, day of new port, where it was supposed to be, and any other details (compensation, etc.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wikoffclan said:

 

Norwegian does not currently have a ship in New Orleans. They're bringing in the Getaway in November. So I'm wondering if they'll make the stop in NOLA a port stop before continuing back to their Florida homeports. 

No but Breakway was stationed there prior to her current Miami stationing so they certainly know how to do it... I wonder if the crew onboard can fully handle disembarkation not having any employees landside right now. Or if they will borrow some.  Or perhaps NCL is flying employees there now!

Edited by PelicanBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

 

@gizmoneil is that a change from plan?

@AshleyDillo is that your speculation or announced?  I have was out of touch for a while.

 

It was announced on board and it's also on NCL.com.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gizmoneil said:

 

They're giving us 300 dollars for each person to compensate for change over fees and price difference. 

 

Are they finding flights for those that got air as a free perk or making those people also find their own transportation home?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I am getting confused  Which cruise lines have stepped up to the plate and taken care of their PAX( cruise credit, OBC, allowed PAX to cancel)?  Has any cruise line not done anything for their PAX?.  Which air lines have been helpful, which ones not?

Maybe we can all form a list (copy and paste from one answer to the other) so we can compare and see what line stands out in being helpful.  Just a thought.

CC has some info  but I would also check the cruiseline website

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4381/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wikoffclan said:

 

Norwegian does not currently have a ship in New Orleans. They're bringing in the Getaway in November. So I'm wondering if they'll make the stop in NOLA a port stop before continuing back to their Florida homeports. 

NCL Sun and Breakaway are to disembark in New Orleans. We were to be sailing out on the Sun today but our cruise has been cancelled. 

82D24FF1-9727-45A1-BECB-2DDC86BB2C62.png

4E836316-6DCB-4FC4-A8F1-2323C28D1C75.png

3463CE4B-F2F2-4E66-B641-5C6741B31D7A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah here it is.  Cancellation of a 7 day cruise is quite rare.  As I said a couple days a go, this is certainly the biggest total impact to cruising we've ever seen from a single storm.

 

Norwegian Breakaway – August 25, 2019 Sailing: Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the United States Coast Guard made the final decision to close Port Miami as of 10 p.m. August 31, 2019.  As such, Norwegian Breakaway's scheduled return on September 1 was cancelled.  We have been in close communication with government and local port authorities as to the earliest Norwegian Breakaway would be able return to Miami, Florida.  Due to the uncertainty of when the port will reopen, the cruise will conclude in New Orleans, Louisiana on September 3. 

We will be communicating with all guests on board and assisting with necessary travel arrangements to ensure a safe and timely return home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karajeboo said:

Cruise Director Adam said this morning that it was still a go, but I don't know how anyone will get there as I-26 eastbound lanes are all closed in preparation for lane reversal starting at noon.  There is literally no way to get into Charleston that I can see.

We actually are now checked in at the port and should be boarding in about 15 to 20 minutes.  We stayed in mt pleasant and we had no issue getting to the port.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect more cancellations coming.  Really don't see with the forecast how getting the ships into PC for the Wednesday sailings are going to happen.  The ships can stage themselves to be allowed in as soon as possible but the weather forecast doesn't look like Wednesday is going to happen.  

 

Port of Miami and Port Everglades may or may not be in the clear by the time they are expected back.  Weather looks promising but they are at the mercy of the port reopening in time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

We actually are now checked in at the port and should be boarding in about 15 to 20 minutes.  We stayed in mt pleasant and we had no issue getting to the port.  

Stay safe.  Let us know how your cruise went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Stay safe.  Let us know how your cruise went.

Thank you very much.  On the ship at 10:55am.  Fastest I've ever boarded.  Very quick and painless.  Everyone Stay safe in your travels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

Thank you very much.  On the ship at 10:55am.  Fastest I've ever boarded.  Very quick and painless.  Everyone Stay safe in your travels

Glad you're on  board and covered if the ship gets a sudden order to LEAVE NOW!.  I hope you found a safe parking area and glad the disembarking passengers can move their cars before the storm hit.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this site this morning - 

 

For those of you in Florida who stocked up on supplies, but didn't end up needing them - Miami is gathering emergency supplies for the Bahamas. I'm sure other Florida towns will do similar drives once they are out of harms way. 

 

https://www.miamigov.com/Government/BAHAMASTRONG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, murfturf said:

I found this site this morning - 

 

For those of you in Florida who stocked up on supplies, but didn't end up needing them - Miami is gathering emergency supplies for the Bahamas. I'm sure other Florida towns will do similar drives once they are out of harms way. 

 

https://www.miamigov.com/Government/BAHAMASTRONG

 

 

This is wonderful.  I hope that they will be over flowing with donations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...