Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
aprilsp88

ORD (Chicago) airport winter delay (help choosing a flight)

We're thinking of a red eye flight that layover for 2 hours in ORD before Christmas, to catch the next day cruise. Should I be concerned for weather delay? How often does it happen? I'm searching online but haven't found any statistic, only saying ORD is one of the worst airport for weather delay, so does my home airport 😞

Another choice is ATL (Atlanta but with less favorite schedule, only 55m layover, and much higher fare).

Due to time constrain it's not desirable to arrive one day earlier.

I'm trying to search online but haven't found any detailed statistic, only saying ORD is one of the worst airport for weather delay, so does my home airport 😞

Thanks,

April

What is your departing airport and final destination? There could be other options...IAH, DEN, etc. But without ALL the facts, hard to advise you.

I lived in Chicago for many years and still transit ORD regularly. Especially before Christmas, you’ll probably be fine. Always freak occurrences, but the odds of a massive weather related delay occurring are, in reality, fairly small. The winter weather gets really bad in January and February. 

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is your departing airport and final destination? There could be other options...IAH, DEN, etc. But without ALL the facts, hard to advise you.

Bruce,

We fly SFO to FLL/MIA.

Thanks,

April

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I lived in Chicago for many years and still transit ORD regularly. Especially before Christmas, you’ll probably be fine. Always freak occurrences, but the odds of a massive weather related delay occurring are, in reality, fairly small. The winter weather gets really bad in January and February. 

Good to know this. Thanks.

Jet Blue has a non-stop redeye. United has a redeye through Houston, and through Dulles.

6 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Bruce,

We fly SFO to FLL/MIA.

I'm surprised there is no nonstop option on American into MIA.

As for how often there are weather issues or whether that should concern you, the bottom line is that any flight at any time can be affected by weather.  While December isn't usually the biggest month for snow and blizzards, no one can say with any certainty that it won't happen this year.  There's nothing you can really do about it so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

13 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I'm surprised there is no nonstop option on American into MIA.

As for how often there are weather issues or whether that should concern you, the bottom line is that any flight at any time can be affected by weather.  While December isn't usually the biggest month for snow and blizzards, no one can say with any certainty that it won't happen this year.  There's nothing you can really do about it so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Once again, I flew NS from SFO to Miami using EZAir for $580. Going July 2019 & returning August 2019. Drawbacks: (1) flight was either at 9pm or 10:30pm. (2) delay waiting for Princess shuttle. I should have taken uber

Both SFO and Miami are major hubs so not sure what OP's issue is ... she said elsewhere that a NS was 3× as much but doubt there's a RT flight for $190. 

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

Once again, I flew NS from SFO to Miami using EZAir for $580. Going July 2019 & returning August 2019. Drawbacks: (1) flight was either at 9pm or 10:30pm. (2) delay waiting for Princess shuttle. I should have taken uber

Both SFO and Miami are major hubs so not sure what OP's issue is ... she said elsewhere that a NS was 3× as much but doubt there's a RT flight for $190. 

I can only assume that when the OP says there is only one nonstop flight, she actually means there is only one nonstop flight that meets whatever additional parameters she has applied to her search and not shared here.

I personally wouldn’t wanna risk an ORD layover during the winter if possible, but I also wouldn’t wanna risk a 55 min connection at ATL. The weather in ATL would be highly preferable but not the connection time or lack thereof. If you haven’t booked yet, maybe look one more time to see if any better options have opened up at a good price.  Good luck with whatever you choose! 

I fly through Ord,  multiple times every year (headed there again Tuesday).    I've encountered several of my flights canceled-  probably  4 this year-   this isn't any statistic,  it's simply what I have experienced. 

Problem is when you back yourself into a corner with limited time,   you MUST be accepting of not making a cruise.   With cancellations-   it can take a lot of time-  to be accommodated  .