Buenos Aires Information, please

Billybob323

We are thinking about cruising from Buenos Aires in January on Costa and we had a few questions.

1. What airport is closest to the cruise port and how far is it?

2. What is the earliest boarding time for a cruise that departs at 8:00 PM?

3. Are you allowed to bring food items off the ship into Buenos Aires?

Thanks for any help.

Billybob323

About my previous post requesting information about Buenos Aires, my navigator just corrected me and let me know that the cruise leaves and returns to Rio de Janeiro not Buenos Aires. Sorry about that. I'll post the questions again and thanks for any responses.      

1. What airport is closest to the cruise port and how far is it?

2. What is the earliest boarding time for a cruise that departs at 8:00 PM?

3. Are you allowed to bring food items off the ship into Rio de Janeiro?

Billybob323

On 8/24/2019 at 10:31 PM, clo said:

Re #3 why would you want to?  Unless you're a non-meat-eater )  BA has fantastic food.  Really.

Some countries have really strict rules about bringing food items ashore from the ship.  Chile is one of them.  I don't know yet about Argentina.

One very good reason for bringing food ashore: Well-managed diabetes means walking the line all day long between low blood sugar and normal blood sugar.  Traveling and travel stress can have very unexpected affects on blood glucose, and having something to eat immediately at hand is pretty much essential - hence a very good reason to want to bring a banana or apple or cookie with you off the ship.

22 hours ago, Billybob323 said:

About my previous post requesting information about Buenos Aires, my navigator just corrected me and let me know that the cruise leaves and returns to Rio de Janeiro not Buenos Aires. Sorry about that. I'll post the questions again and thanks for any responses.      

1. What airport is closest to the cruise port and how far is it?

2. What is the earliest boarding time for a cruise that departs at 8:00 PM?

3. Are you allowed to bring food items off the ship into Rio de Janeiro?

Billybob323

The airport you will fly into from Miami is GIG (Antonio Carlos Jobim/Galeao/Rio De Janeiro Intl).  It's 50 - 60 minutes (or more) to the cruise pier.  It's really traffic dependent.  

It's up to your cruise line as to when you can board. Sometimes it depends on the class of cabin.

Something to consider: We have a house rule that we don't fly in to port the day we sail.  We broke that rule in May.... and Boy Howdy, were we sorry.  We were fatigued and jet-lagged beyond belief.  By the time we went to bed that night we had been up for 28 hours (turbulence on the flight = no sleep). We just aren't that young anymore.  This is in addition to the fact that things routinely go way-bad-wrong when flying, and I live in fear of missing the boat.

Brazil does not allow raw fruit or vegetables, any milk products, meat etc. into the country. Usually they will permit sealed items such as commercially wrapped bars, packets etc. but not open food items from the ship.

There are a number of kiosks selling a variety of things as you come off the cruise ship in Rio, you will probably find anything you might need there. 

17 minutes ago, Lunenburg said:

Brazil does not allow raw fruit or vegetables, any milk products, meat etc. into the country. Usually they will permit sealed items such as commercially wrapped bars, packets etc. but not open food items from the ship.

There are a number of kiosks selling a variety of things as you come off the cruise ship in Rio, you will probably find anything you might need there. 

Thank you.  Very helpful.  Will pack a box of Kind bars.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:45 AM, Kate-AHF said:

Some countries have really strict rules about bringing food items ashore from the ship.  Chile is one of them.  I don't know yet about Argentina.

One very good reason for bringing food ashore: Well-managed diabetes means walking the line all day long between low blood sugar and normal blood sugar.  Traveling and travel stress can have very unexpected affects on blood glucose, and having something to eat immediately at hand is pretty much essential - hence a very good reason to want to bring a banana or apple or cookie with you off the ship.

Of course.  But I assume you do that all the time, don't you?

8 hours ago, clo said:

Of course.  But I assume you do that all the time, don't you?

??????? 

Of course what?  You asked why someone would want to bring food off the ship.  I supplied a good reason why - it's even stated clearly in the first, and the last, sentence of what you yourself quoted.

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

??????? 

Of course what?  You asked why someone would want to bring food off the ship.  I supplied a good reason why - it's even stated clearly in the first, and the last, sentence of what you yourself quoted.

I meant that your daily life you'll be bringing food with you, right?

24 minutes ago, clo said:

I meant that your daily life you'll be bringing food with you, right?

I don't understand how this is germane to the discussion "Can you take food off the ship", but..

No.  I take glucose tabs with me in my regular routine - for emergency only as jacking BG that quick gives me a killer headache.  In a normal routine if I feel I'm getting low, it's easy to plan to grab a quick snack. 

Travel is a whole different story - travel stress, heat stress and unaccustomed activity levels play absolute havoc.  I find it incredibly hard to walk that line when traveling, while at home it's easy.  You can't just say, in the middle of walking the Jardim Botianco... hey I need to stop for a snack.  So I need something in my bag to slowly raise my BG - like an apple or a nut or protein bar.

• 2 weeks later...