Using Carnival Funpoints Mastercard 10% off shore excursions to save on sail and sign

I have the Carnival Funpoints Mastercard through Barclays. It offers a point system where you accrue points for dollars spent with a higher ratio when spending with carnival, then you can exchange the points towards a statement credit by applying to a Carnival cruise travel purchase.

The additional benefit is any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursion paid for with the card gets a 10% discount. I've used it before and the shore excursion is billed at full price on Carnivals website and then the discount is credited on the barclay credit card side. My idea is to book a shore excursion for around $500 to gain a ten percent savings of $50 on the purchase. Then once on the actual cruise cancel the shore excursion by saying you dont feel well. I think they will credit the amount you paid for the shore excursion to your sail and sign card as on board credit and since the discount was applied on the credit card side they have no way of knowing.

This is all just an idea at this point. I have been on a Carnival cruise where a shore excursion was cancelled due to weather and the money paid was credited to Sail and sign, but I have no experience cancelling an excursion for my own personal reasons. If anyone has cancelled a shore excursion with carnival while onboard, tell us about it.

• 4 years later...