Almalfi Coastal Cruise or Drive?

Coral

The links don't work.  'session expired'.   Maybe you'll have to cut and paste the descriptions.

I haven't been yet, but I decided on a private tour to include Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. 

HOWEVER, when we visited Cinque Terre, I did a ferry from Monterrosso to Riomaggiore, and the views from the water were my favourite.   So for this trip I went for a little of both.  The driver will take us to Positano for 2 hrs, then we;ll take the ferry to Amalfi, where the driver will take us to Ravello and then to the ship in Naples.

I looked at boat tours but there were always warnings about cancellations due to sea conditions and I didn't want to arrive in Naples with no options.

Let's see if these links work:

https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=E&exType=S&tourCode=NAP-110 

https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=E&exType=S&tourCode=NAP-105

Though - I don't think it matters as far as descriptions - for those who have done both, I am curious which is more desirable - boat or bus?

This is a last minute trip and these are both through the cruise line. I usually do private tours but on this trip, I am just going through the cruise lines as I have very little time to plan.

I have been to Naples, Capri and Sorrento but not Pompeii or Amalfi Coast. I wouldn't mind going to Positano. I am thinking the boat ride will give me better views as opposed to from a bus.

Do you recommend the Cinque Terre tour? I have heard it is very crowded at times and people regret going. It is sort of on my bucket list.

Thanks maple leaves.

Edited by Coral

I feel your pain .... it was time consuming to closely study the various options to determine which was the best fit for us.  I hope you hear from someone who has done both.

Initially I wanted the Pompeii and Amalfi Coast tour, but the more I looked at the details, I felt that 2 hrs at Pompeii wasn't enough and it shortchanged our time on the Coast since we would only have 1 hr at one town. Ultimately we decided that the Coast was our priority so we decided to skip Pompeii.  And then I hired a driver for 8 hrs so that we have  some flexibility with our day/itinerary.    There are 4 of us so the $400 was reasonable.  

As for Cinque Terre, we visited in mid May several yrs ago, stayed in Monterosso for 3 nights so we had no fixed schedule.  Seeing the villages from the sea was incredible!!  Definitely a highlight.  The first day we were there it was rainy and windy so I was glad we had extra days for the ferry.  As I said ,that was my fear with the Amalfi cruise option .... if it got cancelled at the last minute, we'd be in Naples with no plan.

I'm curious to see how Cinque Terra and Amalfi Coast compare.

Good luck with your decision.  Hope you get some good responses. 

p.s  you might enjoy this artcile and photos.

https://anamericaninrome.com/wp/2016/06/taking-the-ferry-from-salerno-to-amalfi-and-positano/

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I think a large tour bus is possibly not the best way to see the Amalfi Coast. Your views of Positano will be limited to a photo stop above the town. But, I guess, you will see it at least...

I I know it's not what you asked, but if the Amalfi scenery is the most important thing, I'd look for a smaller group tour (I know Princess offers them; like half the size of regular tours) that ONLY focuses on the Amalfi Coast for the day.

As the previous poster said, a tiny taste of Pompeii is all you'll get on this kind of tour. And you also are limiting what you'll see of the coast.

However, if this were the only choice presented, I guess I'd go with the bus.  It's the drive itself that is so iconic. You are looking down at the coastal villages and rugged cliffs/beaches for the most part. Although you probably will only do the iconic road one way in a tour bus (and if you aren't on the correct side of the bus, you'll not get the full effect of the views....

So here is the deal - I am more of a "Northern European gal". I have loved my multiple Northern European trips (cruise and land) and also loved my trip to Germany and Austria on a river cruise last year. I am facing the big "50" next year and am looking at knocking things off of the bucket list. This cruise was a last minute cruise which I thought would be cheap but is turning out to be anything but, though it is knocking some ports off of my bucket list. 

I spent 3 weeks in Rome (and some outside of Rome) about 20 years ago. I really was not thrilled with Naples and Sorrento. Capri was fine and we did get to see Blue Grotto. I regret not going to Pompeii just to say I have done it and probably Amalfi coast also. I have friends who have dreaded the Princess bus drive. I figure I will be there in October - as I would never go to Pompeii in the summer. Not sure if I will return to this area again and figure I should probably see it. I don't have a burning desire and would probably enjoy more coastal towns.

I am all for Princess's small group tours. From what I can see - I see these as small group tours: Best of the Bay of Naples: Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri for small groups and Ultimate Bay of Naples: Pompeii, Postiano and Amalfi Coast A Discovery Exclusive. There is also a Pompeii from Past to Present: Augmented Reality (Small Group).

---

I was sort of dreading the bus ride but when I saw the boat ride, it sounded appealing. Both give us time in Amalfi.

I think I may be one of those people who thinks being somewhere for 2 hours is enough for me to say I have been there as it isn't one of my strong desires to see.

Right now, the Naples food tour is sounding pretty appealing :) . Maybe I will look at Ultimate Bay of Naples: Pompeii, Postiano and Amalfi Coast A Discovery Exclusive which has a group of 16. I don't see a tour that only focuses an Amalfi coast.

Thanks for your input. As you can see - I am not tied to anything. I just don't think I will be here again until for awhile and wanted to see the things I am supposed to see. Probably the wrong reasons.

https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=E&exType=S&tourCode=NAP-150

Ultimate Bay of Naples: Pompeii, Positano & Amalfi Coast - A Discovery Exclusive

Oddly  - the description doesn't include Amalfi Coast and includes time in Sorrento which I prefer not to go back to. It sounds like a lunch/shopping stop.

20 minutes ago, Coral said:

https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=E&exType=S&tourCode=NAP-150

Ultimate Bay of Naples: Pompeii, Positano & Amalfi Coast - A Discovery Exclusive

Oddly  - the description doesn't include Amalfi Coast and includes time in Sorrento which I prefer not to go back to. It sounds like a lunch/shopping stop.

Positano is on the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento, as you know, isn't. (And it's not a favorite of mine either....) However, do keep in mind that an hour to walk around doesn't have to mean shopping. It can mean a quick visit inside a pretty old church or a glass of wine at a table overlooking a piazza.

This is the problem with a split day. If you want to see Pompeii, your time to see the Amalfi Coast will be limited (distances are not as close as you might think) and you will only see a bit of it, not all three of the "iconic" towns (Positano, Ravello, Amalfi).

I think this tour would leave me less dissatisfied than the first ones you linked to, but that's about the best I can say. :classic_wacko:

Everyone has different affinities, likes and dislikes. I agree from what you say that a bit of time in Pompeii may be enough for you. But as someone who really loves travel (and is only a few years older), I would also say that sometimes going places/doing things just to knock them off a bucket list isn't all that....  Sometimes we should just go for what we like/love. 

Twice now I have booked a trip to China and twice I've cancelled. I feel like I "should" go there, but I always find better alternatives. This fall I was going to try again but when final payment came due I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm. I am ten times more excited to go back to Rome again for 10 days during the same time period. And this is probably my 15th or 16th visit there...

Good luck with your cruise and perhaps you will fall in love with the area on second glance. Many have. :classic_cool:

Edited by cruisemom42

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Positano is on the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento, as you know, isn't. (And it's not a favorite of mine either....) However, do keep in mind that an hour to walk around doesn't have to mean shopping. It can mean a quick visit inside a pretty old church or a glass of wine at a table overlooking a piazza.

Twice now I have booked a trip to China and twice I've cancelled. I feel like I "should" go there, but I always find better alternatives. This fall I was going to try again but when final payment came due I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm. I am ten times more excited to go back to Rome again for 10 days during the same time period. And this is probably my 15th or 16th visit there...

This is kind of funny. I had this trip booked a few weeks earlier and cancelled it. Then I sort of regretted it and booked it again. My boss wasn't thrilled with me be gone that long and then when I pressed I really wanted to do it - he agreed. It also helps that the time of this trip is better than the earlier trip. The earlier trip was a few hundred more and would have worked out better. 

I wouldn't be in Postiano until end of October which apparently has a lot of shops closed. I am not a shopper usually but I was in Capri in March and it was sort of dead. 

Was recently there in July and we did Italy tours (they do small group tours, you are in a van, not a bus) Pompeii and Amalfi coast - As mentioned above, we literally drove to Positano for a pit stop of like 5 minutes, take some photos, and then taken to Sorrento where we were told we would spend 2 hours - On our Mediterranean cruise, my husband and I both agreed that Sorrento was our least favorite place we went. Pompeii was excellent - we had a wonderful guide who showed us around, and yes, while it was only 2 hours, I do not regret going.

We met someone in the airport on the way back home who did the boat tour of Amalfi coast (he did this also with Italy tours, but it started from Rome). He told us it was the best tour he has ever done and would do it again in heart beat.

• Like 1

We have done both of these and both are great.  We did the boat on our first trip and the drive the next year.  We chose the boat tour first because we also wanted to go to Pompeii and that tour let us do both.  Here are links to pictures from the two excursions.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/717

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, dreamcz said:

Was recently there in July and we did Italy tours (they do small group tours, you are in a van, not a bus) Pompeii and Amalfi coast - As mentioned above, we literally drove to Positano for a pit stop of like 5 minutes, take some photos, and then taken to Sorrento where we were told we would spend 2 hours - On our Mediterranean cruise, my husband and I both agreed that Sorrento was our least favorite place we went. Pompeii was excellent - we had a wonderful guide who showed us around, and yes, while it was only 2 hours, I do not regret going.

We met someone in the airport on the way back home who did the boat tour of Amalfi coast (he did this also with Italy tours, but it started from Rome). He told us it was the best tour he has ever done and would do it again in heart beat.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the feedback!

On 8/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, mskaufman said:

We have done both of these and both are great.  We did the boat on our first trip and the drive the next year.  We chose the boat tour first because we also wanted to go to Pompeii and that tour let us do both.  Here are links to pictures from the two excursions.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding. I work at a college and this was the first week of school. Crazy. Will look at your pictures later today! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you for your photos! It helps a lot. I think I prefer the views from the bus. Were your pictures taken from stops or while the bus was moving? Definitely a different view. I tend to not take pictures out of a bus window.

Edited by Coral

I wanted to let you know I looked at some of  your other albums and thoroughly enjoyed them. Especially Athens. Thanks again!

10 hours ago, Coral said:

Thank you for your photos! It helps a lot. I think I prefer the views from the bus. Were your pictures taken from stops or while the bus was moving? Definitely a different view. I tend to not take pictures out of a bus window.

It is a mix from the bus and from stops.  When we started I thought that it would be a slow picture day because of the bus.  Just the opposite.  The seats on the bus let us see over the wall on the side of the road.  I took something like 400 pictures that day. Assuming you are going on the ride from Sorrento to Amalfi (and beyond) sit on the side of the bus opposite the driver. 

Pompeii was also amazing.  However, I can't describe how hot it was.  The guide kept looking for places in the shade to stop.

We did a ship-sponsored tour of the Amalfi Coast by boat and then the afternoon at Pompeii. It is a lot, but we really enjoyed the tour. Bus ride to Salerno, boat to Amalfi, about an hour in town, back to the boat to Salerno, bus to a hotel outside Pompeii, lunch (catering food but very good), afternoon at Pompeii, then back to the ship. It's a lot to do in one day and if you want to do a deeper dive, you'll want to pick one or the other. However, we loved the boat tour. I've attached a few photos taken from the boat.

253 Amalfi Coast.JPG

261 Amalfi Coast.JPG

271 Amalfi.JPG

• Thanks 1