STRAWS

46 minutes ago, Esmerelda said:

I guess I don’t get the big deal over any type of straw.  I never use a straw in anything.  <scratching head here>. 😕

Totally agree!

I never understood why anyone above the age of a child needs a straw for anything but a frozen drink (and even then only sometimes).

Really, imagine if you had guests over your house- I'm talking grown adults- and upon handing them a glass of ice water, a diet coke, or a gin & tonic, they were like "could I have a straw?" LOL!

Seriously haven't used one on a liquid beverage since I was a child....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Esmerelda said:

I guess I don’t get the big deal over any type of straw.  I never use a straw in anything.  <scratching head here>. 😕

I use them in frozen/blended drinks, because if you try to drink it from the glass, it can all SWOOSH onto your face in a big clump if it's really thick!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

You really only need them for a frozen drink. We never use them at home and if it wasn’t for cruise Critic I wouldn’t have noticed that they stopped handing them out in restaurants. I instinctively drink straight from the glass like I do at home. Packing straws is over the top for me and as far as washing them out, get real, that’s never happening here let alone on vacation. My son has a water bottle that has a straw built in. I tossed it in the dishwasher. I hope It survived.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

. All this over one turtle that a green peace activist found and shoved a straw up it's nose.  happy cruising

Come down here where I live, and tell me it is just one turtle. 

It's amazing that humans, the most "intelligent" and adaptable creatures on this planet, throw a tantrum over straws. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

Baby steps. Every little bit helps.

Cruising and travel as a whole is infinitely worse than straws. I don't see the bleeding hearts giving up their vacations. Companies saw a way to get good PR and cut straw expenses by one video. Pretty consistent with how anything works these days. Stir up a bunch of feelings and that's all you really need. My favorite was starbucks getting rid of the straws, only to make a new lid with more plastic.

30 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I still think its totally crazy to ban the straws when the cruise line uses tons of plastic glasses and plastic bottled water.... what is this world coming too!!  People are getting more and more stupid I say.

Went to a Q&A with officers on recent cruise and they were quizzed about plastic bottles- they are trying to find a solution. For all their employees at Christmas, they got a refillable water bottle (amongst other things) and staff now have water stations to refill their bottles rather than paying for plastic bottles- a step in the right direction but a way to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Totally agree!

I never understood why anyone above the age of a child needs a straw for anything but a frozen drink (and even then only sometimes).

Really, imagine if you had guests over your house- I'm talking grown adults- and upon handing them a glass of ice water, a diet coke, or a gin & tonic, they were like "could I have a straw?" LOL!

Seriously haven't used one on a liquid beverage since I was a child....

Um disabled people use them. The whole straw thing is incredibly ableist. 

38 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I still think its totally crazy to ban the straws when the cruise line uses tons of plastic glasses and plastic bottled water.... what is this world coming too!!  People are getting more and more stupid I say.

The Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs used to give a free 50 page color program to every ticket holder every game.  This year they said that for our convenience we could now go online and print our own programs before coming to the ball park, none would be available at Coca Cola Park.  They bragged that by being so damn cheap they were saving thousands of trees every year.  They used to hand out a calender at the last home game in August for the next year including their games scheduled.  Not given out this year.  More trees saved.  More fake envirnmentalists.  Maybe next year they will save even more trees by outlawing wooden bats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, MrsHFQ said:

Went to a Q&A with officers on recent cruise and they were quizzed about plastic bottles- they are trying to find a solution. For all their employees at Christmas, they got a refillable water bottle (amongst other things) and staff now have water stations to refill their bottles rather than paying for plastic bottles- a step in the right direction but a way to go.

You know the ship has water stations also, but that's not the issue.  You can have all the water stations you want, like one in every stateroom (called the sink) and you will not get people to use them.  People love paying for items that are free, than complain about the price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

You know the ship has water stations also, but that's not the issue.  You can have all the water stations you want, like one in every stateroom (called the sink) and you will not get people to use them.  People love paying for items that are free, than complain about the price.

Not aware of any water stations around the ship. Wouldn’t necessarily go back to cabin every time I needed a drink of water. Not sure who’s complaining about the price.

14 minutes ago, MrsHFQ said:

Not aware of any water stations around the ship. Wouldn’t necessarily go back to cabin every time I needed a drink of water. Not sure who’s complaining about the price.

Any bar on the ship will give you free water (not in a bottle).  People have been complaining of the price of water ever since the beginning of time.....when some marketing genius decided to bottle water.  (Take water which is free, put in bottle, and charge money for the bottle). 

Conversation turned from straws to everything plastic on the ship.  Ironically, the two things you really don't need is straws and plastic bottles, and they are the two things people get so defensive over.

I bring my own (individually wrapped) straws now. Simpler. Always get knowing smiles from the bar and restaurant staff when I pull one out. And I bring enough to share. 🙂

As to water filling stations, etc., the problem is really the idiots that are clueless about how to use them (and the Coke Freestyle, and other beverage dispensers). If you just hang out for a few minutes in the background and watch people fill their own cups, refill their cups, etc., you'll see some of the filthiest people and practices. It's like they think everyone wants to share the filth from their used/re-used/re-re-used container in their own beverages. Of course you can see people do similar things at the buffet as well. So I consider those things more a last-resort for use. But I always buy the Deluxe Beverage Package, so the need is pretty minimal.

I'm just glad they don't have ice bins and scoops accessible to the public.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Come down here where I live, and tell me it is just one turtle. 

It's amazing that humans, the most "intelligent" and adaptable creatures on this planet, throw a tantrum over straws. 

If they could of found a second turtle there would of been a picture plastered in the NYT.  I hope you don't believe all the new Rainforest hogwash. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

If they could of found a second turtle there would of been a picture plastered in the NYT.  I hope you don't believe all the new Rainforest hogwash. 

I have taken two turtles myself, that had pieces of plastic in their throat to nearby vets. Did you think I invited you down because there was nothing? 🙄

Edit: It's not just turtles either. The amount of plastic waste all over the streets is disgusting. Birds and other wildlife are affected as well. 

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 4