Sky rerouting

troyers

Does anyone know if NCL ever changes itineraries on the Sky due to tropical weather or do they usually just cancel the cruise?  I know the Sky and Sun are typically Bahamas only ships but we are booked to depart 8-31 from Miami and with the tropical outlook flaring up I’m wondering if we will just go to Cozumel.  

40 minutes ago, troyers said:

Does anyone know if NCL ever changes itineraries on the Sky due to tropical weather or do they usually just cancel the cruise?  I know the Sky and Sun are typically Bahamas only ships but we are booked to depart 8-31 from Miami and with the tropical outlook flaring up I’m wondering if we will just go to Cozumel.  

Cozumel is much further than the Bahamas so I would say unlikely on such a short cruise.  Its WAY too early to even talk about changing itineraries.  They could announce the day before any changes or the captain can make the decision on the date of sail away. The answer to your question is days away so no one including NCL can say anything right now.

Cruises rarely get cancelled.  They will navigate the ship away from any danger.  Its also very possible there will not be any changes to your cruise.  You may not have the best weather but you may still get to the ports.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Ditto, until 48 to 72 hours from sailing time, to get seriously worried. You knew, right, when you book it that you are sailing during peak hurricane "window" ... check your OTC for motion meds if prone to seasickness & mentally prepare for choppy seas & possibly a rougher ride, no matter which way the ship will sail to.

Looking at latest storm track & models, suggesting the storm will remain at/below tropical storm conditions ... not a major hurricane, although predictions can change very quickly with a fast moving one.  Take a good look at your ground/air options between Houston & Miami and have a backup, if not already. 

Seeing that you are watching Bill's discussion & analysis in the Hurricane Zone, 

3 hours ago, troyers said:

NCL never cancels cruises. I can only remember one instance where cruises were cancelled two years ago. Cruises lengths can be changed due to port closures. 

My hurricane app is getting a lot of use.  We are booked for this cruise as well.  I am going to hand it off to Dorian, as she is in charge for now.  

Edited by bb71

I believe the ship is leaving out today on the same itinerary and I am sure that one has changed.   The stop at Great Stirrup probably won’t happen since the tender boats won’t run in rough seas.  

A few years ago we were booked on the Sky that was doing Nassau and GSC. Not sure if Freeport was on the itinaray but a storm came through that closed GSC for a bit. The week before they diverted to Cozumel but ours was diverted to Key West.

1 minute ago, softl said:

A few years ago we were booked on the Sky that was doing Nassau and GSC. Not sure if Freeport was on the itinaray but a storm came through that closed GSC for a bit. The week before they diverted to Cozumel but ours was diverted to Key West.

Ours is already scheduled for Key West, then Freeport, Nassau, and GSC so we have 4 stops total in the line of fire.

1 hour ago, BostonGal35 said:

im on this sail as well and it is indeed five nights.

we wont be rerouted, Dorian is supposed to hit PR on Friday.  we'll be fine especially given our first stop is key west.

My maps show the eye of the storm will be over Nassau Saturday afternoon.  At a minimum, it will be very rough seas.  All will depend on the timing if they choose to close the port of Miami before the storm hits.  It might steer east and cancel Key West for us.    We shall see.  My backup plan is Vegas

Edited by bb71

12 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

so if they close the Port, is it totally closed or are ships just not allowed to leave?  meaning, would we still be able to board the ship and just stay in port overnight until the storm passes?

If the port is to be closed then NCL will not dock at all, I am sure.  That is not where you want to ride out a storm.  Sometimes they extend the previous cruise a day or so until it is safe.  If that were to happen, we would be compensated some how.  I just hope the decision is made before I fly in.  NCL and Carnival seem to be holding off on any decisions until later in the week.  Heck, it could be Friday before we know.  

Edited by bb71

i was going to book a hotel room at the airport for saturday night just to be safe but all of the ones ive looked at have a 2 day cancellation frame which doesnt help.  im fairly confident based on the storm track ill get to miami ok... ill just have to wing it!