YIKES! Have you been reading the reviews of RSSC on CC?

forgap

Some of the recent reviews have been toxic!  I tried to read other reviews by the same poster to see if there is a trend in his/her point of view but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.  The reviews are all over the place - some posters have loved their experience and others make it seem like it was a cruise on a Greyhound bus.  What do you make of this?  Trolling, perhaps? 

10 minutes ago, forgap said:

Some of the recent reviews have been toxic!  I tried to read other reviews by the same poster to see if there is a trend in his/her point of view but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.  The reviews are all over the place - some posters have loved their experience and others make it seem like it was a cruise on a Greyhound bus.  What do you make of this?  Trolling, perhaps? 

People have different expectations and value experiences differently for money spent. I love reading CC and visit it several times a day but I NEVER make a cruise decision based upon 1 or 2 negatives reviews (or even several positive reviews). I've had disappointments with Regent BUT they consistently make the top of MY "must haves".

Which ship?  I don't read the formal reviews on CC much, I admit, but not sure where to start based on what you say.

Okay, I'm reading one about Mariner right now.  I can already see some holes in this review, but I'll wait and respond when I've read more...

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Okay, the Mariner review that's entitled, "Not as advertised! TWO STARS".

Pretty perjorative comments.  First of all, I'm thinking perhaps there were lots of kids on the cruise?

You easily have a bar setup in your room, a bottle of wine and/or liquor.  No excuse for his stewardess saying that's not possible, I agree.

The bars serve top brands of liquor, and you can ask for them.  If you want Grey Goose, ask for it.  They do NOT serve a bunch of inferior liquors, just more usual ones like Absolut, but if you don't want that, tell them.

He admits that the ship was well-maintained but says it in a way that's like "damning with faint praise."

There are many good excursions that are included at no extra cost.  Yes, there are value-added ones that are great too, but no need to take them, really.

The specialty restaurants (the "upscale" ones, gheesh) are capacity-limited, yes.  Everyone on board is supposed to get one "kick at the can", with more reservations possible depending on demand.

The comments about food are very subject, and again, just nasty.

And he admits that disembarkation was handled well, but gives it two stars!

This guys just sounds like a jerk, to me.

(Looking at the next two reviews, and then two more, they seem to be about the same sailing.  I'm not an apologist, believe me, but sounds like something went wrong on this  sailing maybe.  The third one, "High expectations..." just blah and negative, can't explain it.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

It is frustrating that we cannot comment on these reviews.  Some people have no idea what to expect on Regent ......... do not research and end up learning that it was not what they expected.  Luxury cruises are definitely not for everyone.  

I haven’t checked these reviews out yet but I wonder if they were from summer itineraries. Some summer itineraries (particularly Alaska) are just not typical of Regent cruises.  There are a majority of families/children and people new to Regent.  

The passengers that seem to enjoy Regent tend to do research and also go to Cruise Critic to ask questions.  Posters here know that you can ask for “almost” any alcohol that Regent has, that most but not all excursions are included, that the ships (in Alaska) are full of children in June/July and the first part of August.  There is so much information to be gained by simply reading the Regent board on CC.

Off to read a few reviews before we go out for some nacho’s!

Just checked out the Mariner reviews (too late to edit last post).  I guessed correctly - the top worst reviews were on Alaska cruises.  Not a surprise.  After getting a bit tired of reading negativity, I switched to Explorer reviews (only looked at the first three) and they were rated 5*.

The only point I "sort of" agreed with is that, in Alaska, the best excursions have a price tag.  I would guess that there are more "Regent Choice" excursions in Alaska than in other parts of the world. 

Have to say, we've had a few problems on Regent-but nothing that would make us stop cruising them.  Every line will have a problem or two, many more, but what's also very important is how the line handles them--Regent does a great job in taking care of the problem.  Would I give Regent a 10, no but a high 8 or 9.  Plus we don't look for problems, when they happen--that's life on vacation.  Wish all my problems in life we're as simple as the ones I've had on Regent.  Regent knows you have choices, and I think that's why we enjoy Regent as much as we do.

1. That most recent review is idiotic. Was he complaining because he had to say "Grey Goose and tonic" instead of "vodka and tonic?" Did he somehow not realize that for the whole cruise? What does he mean when he states that embarkation was "rudimentary at best?" I agree, the guy sounds like a jerk.

2. But there were several bad reviews in a row. Occam's Razor makes me think that there must have been something wrong with Mariner's Alaska run this year.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Okay, the Mariner review that's entitled, "Not as advertised! TWO STARS".

Pretty perjorative comments.  First of all, I'm thinking perhaps there were lots of kids on the cruise?

You easily have a bar setup in your room, a bottle of wine and/or liquor.  No excuse for his stewardess saying that's not possible, I agree.

The bars serve top brands of liquor, and you can ask for them.  If you want Grey Goose, ask for it.  They do NOT serve a bunch of inferior liquors, just more usual ones like Absolut, but if you don't want that, tell them.

He admits that the ship was well-maintained but says it in a way that's like "damning with faint praise."

There are many good excursions that are included at no extra cost.  Yes, there are value-added ones that are great too, but no need to take them, really.

The specialty restaurants (the "upscale" ones, gheesh) are capacity-limited, yes.  Everyone on board is supposed to get one "kick at the can", with more reservations possible depending on demand.

The comments about food are very subject, and again, just nasty.

And he admits that disembarkation was handled well, but gives it two stars!

This guys just sounds like a jerk, to me.

(Looking at the next two reviews, and then two more, they seem to be about the same sailing.  I'm not an apologist, believe me, but sounds like something went wrong on this  sailing maybe.  The third one, "High expectations..." just blah and negative, can't explain it.)

Or perhaps the reviews are from people traveling together that all agree to post a bad review. That's often the case with a family group, or a group of friends traveling together. It's more believable when a number of cruisers all give the same bad review.

Edited by SWFLAOK
typo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

1. That most recent review is idiotic. Was he complaining because he had to say "Grey Goose and tonic" instead of "vodka and tonic?" Did he somehow not realize that for the whole cruise? What does he mean when he states that embarkation was "rudimentary at best?" I agree, the guy sounds like a jerk.

2. But there were several bad reviews in a row. Occam's Razor makes me think that there must have been something wrong with Mariner's Alaska run this year.

There always seems to be issues with Alaska cruises - whether it be on Mariner or Navigator.  

In terms of embarkation in Vancouver, I cannot say enough times that it is a zoo in Vancouver - especially at the cruise port - during the summer.  This is not Regent's fault but is a perfect example of overtourism!  We are going to Alaska (on Crystal - just for fun) the day after Labor Day.  However, there is no way in the world that we would cruise to Alaska - on any cruise line - in June/July and the first half of August*.  The issues that you read about on Alaska itineraries are different than on any other Regent itinerary.  

I am not unhappy about the negative reviews.  Perhaps (but not likely) some people will read these reviews before booking an Alaska cruise on Regent.  Regent is a wonderful experience anywhere in the world.  However, when you put a majority of newbies with lots of children, it is a recipe for poor reviews.

I do not want to accept the premise that I (or any other customer) simply "must" sail on one particular ship (i.e., Explorer) in order to "guarantee ourselves" a consistent "5-star Regent experience" (which is advertised in all of their marketing literature).....and that if I, or anyone else chooses to sail on any of the remaining 4 Regent ships, that we should just expect, accept, and resign ourselves to the "risk" of receiving a product that may be "less consistent or desirable" than that which is offered only on the Explorer.  I am pretty sure that this is not really Regent's (or FDR's) actual corporate philosophy and fundamental operating principle, either.  Is it actually being opined that there is one "operating standard" for Explorer and a different (lesser) standard for the other 4 (older/smaller) ships?  Really?  We cannot all sail on just one ship (Explorer) all the time - nor should we have to, or want to.  And when we purchase Regent cruises - all at a premium price, no matter which ship it is on, I think we all should be able to make the assumption and have the reasonable expectation that the same "Regent standard/s" will be delivered and adhered to as equally as possible, across the fleet and not restricted to just one (the newest and largest) of their ships.  Regards.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

I do not want to accept the premise that I (or any other customer) simply "must" sail on one particular ship (i.e., Explorer) in order to "guarantee ourselves" a consistent "5-star Regent experience" (which is advertised in all of their marketing literature).....and that if I, or anyone else chooses to sail on any of the remaining 4 Regent ships, that we should just expect, accept, and resign ourselves to the "risk" of receiving a product that may be "less consistent or desirable" than that which is offered only on the Explorer.  I am pretty sure that this is not really Regent's (or FDR's) actual corporate philosophy and fundamental operating principle, either.  Is it actually being opined that there is one "operating standard" for Explorer and a different (lesser) standard for the other 4 (older/smaller) ships?  Really?  We cannot all sail on just one ship (Explorer) all the time - nor should we have to, or want to.  And when we purchase Regent cruises - all at a premium price, no matter which ship it is on, I think we all should be able to make the assumption and have the reasonable expectation that the same "Regent standard/s" will be delivered and adhered to as equally as possible, across the fleet and not restricted to just one (the newest and largest) of their ships.  Regards.

As usual, I am not sure where you are coming from.  No one has said that you have sail on Explorer to receive a "consistent 5 star experience).  This is not true!!!!!   However, Explorer offers things that are not offered on any other Regent ship (specialty restaurants open for lunch........ special buffet in CR on sea day Sundays ...... and Pacific Rim.  It is important that people new to Regent know these things which is why I post about them.  We have more sailings on Voyager and Mariner than any other ship.  However, at this point in time, we prefer sailing on Explorer (and Splendor).  

For us, having 33 Regent cruises, we do like sailing on different Regent ships -- just for something different (although we still will not sail on Navigator).  After the christening cruise on Explorer - followed by more Explorer cruises, we wanted something different.  So, we did a year of sailing Mariner and a year sailing Voyager.  The result of these cruises is that we really missed Explorer and the benefits not available anywhere else.  So, in 2019, 2020 and 2021, we have only booked cruises on the two newest ships.

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Have to say, we've had a few problems on Regent-but nothing that would make us stop cruising them.  Every line will have a problem or two, many more, but what's also very important is how the line handles them--Regent does a great job in taking care of the problem.  Would I give Regent a 10, no but a high 8 or 9.  Plus we don't look for problems, when they happen--that's life on vacation.  Wish all my problems in life we're as simple as the ones I've had on Regent.  Regent knows you have choices, and I think that's why we enjoy Regent as much as we do.

+1 

11 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

One of the things I have appreciated most about Regent (Radisson before hand) is the way they handle problems when they inevitably DO come up.  There is a real professionalism to this and no "passing the buck".  Things are addressed, corrected if possible and solutions are found.  Their attitude to this is admirable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

One of the things I have appreciated most about Regent (Radisson before hand) is the way they handle problems when they inevitably DO come up.  There is a real professionalism to this and no "passing the buck".  Things are addressed, corrected if possible and solutions are found.  Their attitude to this is admirable.

After a particular bad experience in 2006 I vowed never to cruise with Regent again, and I haven't.

Two brief comments.

First, sometimes a specific cruise is not up to the usual standards of that particular ship. If I could identify the reasons, the cruise line would probably be willing to pay me lots of money for that information.  But it does happen.

Second, there is a dynamic of groups of people. I have taught classes of 1000 students, and the variations in the "personality" of the group from year to year are sometimes surprisingly large.  I suspect the dynamic is determined by a small number of people who influence the whole group.  Whatever the reason, the dynamic of the passengers on this particular Alaska cruise on Mariner was clearly toxic, and I am so glad I wasn't on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, English Voyager said:

After a particular bad experience in 2006 I vowed never to cruise with Regent again, and I haven't.

I have never cruised on Regent, but I am looking forward to my first experience in January.

I am not sure what would cause a person with a bad experience 13 years ago to continue to monitor a forum for a cruise line that they have vowed never to cruise again.  It must be pulling you back, it must be a powerful force.

• Like 4

I think the reason I posted this was that the reviews were not isolated to one cruise on one ship.   Certainly it seems a few reviewers highlighted one Alaska Cruise but other ships and other months also got bad reviews.   I also recognize that it’s easier to spew venom than praise, so that may account for the number of bad reviews.   Being ignored by staff, having your stuff stolen (allegedly) and shabby furnishings in need of repair are unacceptable even on the low cost cruise lines, never mind  Regent!  

I’m still a fan of Regent but I hope that Regent is taking note so that people feel that they are well taken care of and they are getting excellent value for the money they spend.  

47 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I have never cruised on Regent, but I am looking forward to my first experience in January.

I am not sure what would cause a person with a bad experience 13 years ago to continue to monitor a forum for a cruise line that they have vowed never to cruise again.  It must be pulling you back, it must be a powerful force.

Neither a powerful force involved, nor a monitoring of this forum.

My recent interaction on two threads on the Explorer has been triggered by the commencement last Friday on one of our TV channels of a series on that ship.

Perusal of the Luxury Cruising forum will indicate my preferred luxury cruise line.

Edited by English Voyager

Just read the reviews...pretty harsh.   I have only cruised Regent once, that was on Mariner and it was last Nov-Dec. for 44 nights.  Was it perfect?  No, of course not. We had hiccups like any cruise will have.  But I am a veteran cruiser (34 cruises, vast majority with Royal Caribbean).  So a few of my observations as a new Regent Cruiser.   

Let me state right up front, we loved our cruise.   So much so that I have 39 nights booked on Navigator next June and just booked 48 on Explorer in 2021.   Will Navigator be like Mariner?  No, of course not.  And thanks to Cruise Critic, I can state why.  It's older, it's smaller, it vibrates in the aft.  It only has Prime 7 and Sette Mare for specialty restaurants.  Great... I'm forewarned and have made decisions accordingly.  For example we booked an E Category to get up forward of midships to avoid the vibration.  

So my point... cruising is all about "managing expectations."  If you expect that every meal will rival the finest 5 star restaurants, you'll be disappointed.  If you expect that there is some magical Camelot weather bubble around a cruise ship you'll be disappointed.  If you don't understand that ships are mechanical marvels that pitch and roll with the seas, and are thus subject to movement, vibrations, and occasional breakdowns, you'll likely be disappointed.   

So now my observations.  I know that the meals aren't always hits.  On Regent, simply send it back and ask for something else.  I know that issues can occur in a stateroom.  On Regent, simply let them know and they'll jump through every hoop available to make it right.  I know that mechanical breakdowns occur.  On Regent they'll do whatever they can, but safety will always take precedence.  I know weather can cause missed ports, etc.  On Regent they'll make every attempt to get to the port, but safety will always take precedent.  And alternative programs or ports will be provided.  I know that included shore excursions are generally large groups, but on Regent, at least in my limited experience, they'll generally not load a bus to capacity, and every attempt is made to make these enjoyable.  Always successful? No.  Mostly? Sure if you don't expect a private limo tour.  

Anyway,  what is really important is that when you try a new cruise line, it's incumbent upon you to research on these boards.  Y'all are a vast wealth of information as to what the reality of the expectation should be.  If you are armed with this information, you can go on a 44 night cruise and find that it can be, without a doubt, a wonderful experience.  You just need to know that all you have to do is ask and you can get Grey Goose.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 9