Rome: Hotel, Transportation & Food !

Fnigro07

My fiance and I are going on a 10 day cruise out of Rome in May for our honeymoon. We fly into Rome a day early to explore before the ship leaves at night. 

1. How much is a taxi from FCO(Airport) to Rome? Is it cheaper to take the bus or train? Is the transportation safe and easy to use?

2. How much is a taxi from Cititavecchia (Port) to FCO(Airport)? Is there a bus from the port to the airport?

3.. Where should we stay in Rome? We will be going to see the Vatican and the Colosseum 

4.. Recommendations for great food that is not too touristy and Americanized.

Thank you!

To the OP:  you cover a lot of ground.  Most of your questions are answered here regularly, so while you wait, you may want to start scrolling and reading this forum, at least the first several pages. Doubtless you'll find answers to several of your questions.

To be clear about taxis -- they are a fine method for getting from the airport into Rome -- there is a fixed fare of 48 euro for any hotel within the "city walls" (most of central Rome), and that's probably where you'll want to stay.

For getting from Civitavecchia to the airport (at the end of your cruise I'm guessing), the least hassle method is arranging for private transport. It's not cheap because Civi is about an hour from the airport. On your roll call you may be able to find others to share the cost and that will make it cheaper per person. For various reasons the train is a hassle from Civi to the airport -- too many changes to be made if you are toting luggage. And taxis tend to be more expensive than a pre-arranged ride.

The cost of the Leonardo (nonstop) train from airport to Rome is 14 euros each.  We came in on a 9:30am flight and we didn't get to our hotel until about noonish.

I personally think you won't have enough time to do both the Vatican and the Colosseum in basically a half day. Our tour of the Colosseum was a half day. They only allow so many people into the Colosseum at one time, so if you do not have a tour, you could be waiting for awhile to get in. From what I understand, the same is true for the Vatican as well.

As cruisemom42 said there are many different ways to get to the seaport from Rome. Wife and I did the train. The only thing to consider is that in Civitavecchia, you will have to carry your bags down a flight of stairs and then back up a flight of stairs. Other than that, it was pretty stress free. There are several different types of trains that go to Civitavecchia from Rome and back. Some will make many stops and some will be nonstop. We did an Intercity type train to Civitavecchia (one stop) plus the shuttle to the port drop off. Cost per person is like 14 euros.

I would recommend finding a hotel close to the train station that way you can walk to the train station. We stayed at the Hotel Diocleziano, which is a block from the station, so it is at most a 5 min walk.