Will Amsterdam be the "new" Prinsendam?

Vict0riann

That was the question I asked myself as we boarded in Seattle - the flagship of the fleet, the World Cruise ship, the newly-refurbished almost 20-year old...  And I was even more confused at muster drill when I saw a familiar tall figure on the deck with us.  I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but later on our CD, Bruce, mentioned the opportunity to book a cruise with our Future Cruise Consultant, Sheryll, and I knew I had seen our (multiple) Prinsendam master, Captain Jeroen Schuchmann.   (He was on board as a passenger, prior to going for training for the Amsterdam captaincy.)

However, I have to say, I don't think Amsterdam will be the new Prinsendam, which was confirmed by Sheryll, who announced that Veendam will be taking over all of the late, lamented Prinsendam's cruises, except for the Kiel Canal, which will no longer be on any HAL itinerary.  Amsterdam will be doing a Grand Africa, and the World Cruise, but others will be done by Veendam.  

Our last cruise - on Prinsendam - was part of a Grand Voyage, so it is difficult to make comparisons.  The Amsterdam is beautiful, I think she most reminds me of Zaandam, with a few differences, most of which are probably across the fleet.  No orchids in the Lido Market, new bags, no amuse bouche at dinner in the Pinnacle, Club Orange as part of the dining room.....

Hello, Father.  I believe Maasdam will continue to be an "expedition" ship, with zodiacs, etc, and go to places where no one can dock!  

And I have a question for you - our chaplain on board was a Father Shawn from Kansas (or perhaps it was Oklahoma - something like that).  He said he had a website "Shawn the Baptist", but when I googled it it wasn't him at all..  Do you know anything about him?  He was very interesting and his homilies were always about Alaska, i.e fish compulsively swimming upstream to die,  the glaciers taking 400 years from snowflake to bergie bit....

Both the Rotterdam and Veendam spring 2020 T/A's are very similar to sailings Prinsendam has done in the past.  We are booked on Rotterdam.  Overall I agree with HIMSELF but find Rotterdam also has some very Prinsendam-like sailings.