Touring Rome on June 2 holiday

n2chocola8

Has anyone done a tour in Rome (not the Vatican) on June 2 during Italy's National holiday? Were you able to see what you wanted to see or were the roads closed and did you encounter traffic jams? I am concerned we might loose valuable time stuck in traffic and maybe we should plan something else to do? Thank you for your comments.

YO....

What's up n2chcola8!!  We are actually ARRIVING this day in 2020 (unbeknownst to us after the fact).....from what I have been reading and people I know...this is big deal holiday in Italy (like July 4 in US).  A lot of tour companies are closed.  Supposedly, Vatican City is open, but....I would do some checking.  Some of the free sites (like the Pantheon, etc are open, but...getting a tour guide MIGHT be difficult.  Also told, you might want to reserve yourself to utilizing mass transit to getting around as traffic is already bad in Rome and driving around might prove even more difficult (we are taking train from the airport to the Central Terminal.  Just relaying what I've researched so far.

Hope this helps.

YO

• Like 1

Yo!

We are sailing on Oceania Riviera and I have been doing some research as well as we are arriving on June 2 2020 just like you. I have actually found a few well known tour guides willing to do a tour but I was concerned about traffic and road closures. My daughters don't want to go to the Vatican and they really want to see Rome (first time). I guess we will just drive around and see as much as possible.

What ship are you on?

Thanks for your reply,

Debbie

11 minutes ago, n2chocola8 said:

Yo!

We are sailing on Oceania Riviera and I have been doing some research as well as we are arriving on June 2 2020 just like you. I have actually found a few well known tour guides willing to do a tour but I was concerned about traffic and road closures. My daughters don't want to go to the Vatican and they really want to see Rome (first time). I guess we will just drive around and see as much as possible.

What ship are you on?

Thanks for your reply,

Debbie

Cool.

We arrive early morning the 2nd and playing that day as we go as we have a long travel day.  Not sure how jet lagged we'll be.  Plan on checking out some of the activities and festivities of the holiday and maybe try and hit Trevi, Pantheon, and Spanish Steps.  I really wanted to tour the Colosseum & at least see the Sistine Chapel, but everyone tells me that is nearly impossible to do both.  The 3rd is our "tour day" for Rome, so we reserved ourself to the Colosseum in the AM and then a friend recommended Rolling Rome for a Golf Cart tour...so we are going to do that in the afternoon.  We figured we'd be done by then.  Next day, we have the option to hit Naples early and tour down there, or spend a little extra time in Rome then make our way to Naples to catch our ship (MSC Divina).  When does your ship leave?  Do you guys hit Ibiza at all??

YO