Anyone sailed on MSC

antsp

We've booked our 3rd cruise on the Divina for Feb 2020 and this will be our 4th MSC cruise. We have not sailed with them in Europe, only to the Caribbean out of Fla.  The Divina is a beautiful ship.  The shows are top notch.  There is an "adults only" pool and another pool under an atrium if the weather is inclement and a 3rd, larger out door pool.  We are elite on Princess and they status matched us to their top tier and got the 5% discount.  MSC does the BEST CC meet and greet get together as is thier repeaters party for top tier repeaters..  Dining was on par with other lines we've sailed on, buffet pizza is the best afloat!  Dancing after dinner in 3 lounges. (Seems there isn't much of that on some other lines, anymore)  Their "Drinks on US" package comes to about $20 a day, a LOT less than the beverage packages on other lines. However, not offered on every ship/every sailing.  As I said, we've not sailed MSC in Europe and from what I've heard/seen, it's a bit of a different experience and some folks have been disappointed, but to the Caribbean out of FLa....we've very happy (and that's why Feb 2020 will be our 3rd winter Caribbean cruise on the Divina).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I think it’s important to note that MSC in the US and MSC in Europe can be very different experiences. I cruised MSC in Europe and I will never make that mistake again. 

On the other hand, I’ve cruised Divina and Seaside from Florida and I loved both cruises.  

I've only sailed MSC in Europe (6 times) and loved them. I am reluctant to try them in the US because I'm afraid that they will be too americanized.

• Like 1

Just a note that you do not have to status match to the top tier to get the 5% discount.

We status matched Celebrity Elite to get MSC Black.  However, now I believe that you have to be Elite + to get Black.

We did Yacht Club on Divina and Seaside and loved it and would (will) do it again.

Edited by mafig

On 8/26/2019 at 5:25 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

I think the only way I'd even consider MSC is if I booked into the Yacht Club.  I'm thinking that that way, you're not surrounded by potentially thousands of kids and smokers, maybe just a max of a hundred or so?  Has anyone done the YC on one of the newer ships?

You can go to MSC forum for more detail.  Here is my Seasdie YC review from April 2019.

I am a light cruiser (Royal 1, Carnival 1, NCL 4, MSC 2) but I had more pleasant experience with MSC than others I have been on.  Although, brand name has certain affect, some times the ship (new crew, tired crew etc) has more effect in your experience.  I enjoyed, MSC Divina and Seaside, planned for Meraviglia next year.  Also, CC MM is really nice, so dont forget to go to Roll Call forum and sign up.  You will have an invitation when you board the ship. (Custom cake, various desert, fruits, spark wine provided plus group photo is free and send to your room.)

- MSC food was a bit lacking compare to others, but I do enjoy the Pizza.  Room menu pizza has more options than buffet.  If you are nice to waiter, you can ask for off the menu items (items that are available but not on menu).

- Kids activities are lacking compare to Carnival, Royal, NCL, so pool area gets really cramped during holidays when kids are out.

- Tend to have more European and S. American crowds so expect some rude kids, line cutting, etc.

- Customer service on ship was good, comparable to other cruise lines, but on land that is another story.  Long wait, hard to resolve things, etc... its curse service!

- MSC has MSC me app which is very helpful in reservation etc.  When you checkin at port, they don't tie your CC card to room key.  You have to do that on your own at kiosk on the ship.  If you pay cash deposit you do that on the ship.

- Shows are various them 2-3 times a day for 6 days for 7 day cruise, last days typically has MJ Thriller show, very popular.

- MSC Voyager membership, nice of them to give a matching status.  DO NOT create Voyager membership if you planned on having matching done, they will create one for you.  I made this mistake, although I got a classic (got  1 point for NCL Silver, should have used my Holiday Inn Platinum membership, yes hotel membership works too) but I wasnt able to get my 5% disc, I should have cancelled and redo, but price was almost same as price when up.  

- MSC ships are beautiful, tons of photo opportunity.  Planned on getting phote use online to pre-purchase, same for if you plan for SPA usage, you can get week pass online for $120(?) while it cost $40 a day on ship.

- MSC is following NCL on pricing.  When you see a Free drink/WiFi package, compare the price to Escape to Sea fare.  If you and your party is mod to heavy drinkers, it is worth it but if you like premium drinks, cocktails, or light drinker it is not worth it, diff is about $180-200 per person on 7 days cruises. (Free drink package is Easy package: Heineken draft, Miller lite can, 7-8 basic mix drinks, basic shelf liquor, house wines, soda, juice, coffee)

- If you are on a ship with YC, try not to use two forward elevators with YC Reserve on it ,  YC members/butlers have priority over ride.  You are riding then bam, you get called to 16th floor and all the floor setting gone and you have to go where they go first then go on your way.

Well, I could go on but I think that sums it up.

We sailed MSC Divina Spring Break 2017 and I REALLY wanna cruise Seaside next year. I have cruised with Carnival, Princess, Costa and MSC. Thus far of 7 cruises, Divina was my absolute favorite. Maybe it depends on where you sail from. We sailed from Miami. Going on my first RCI in a few weeks, so we'll see if MSC remains my # 1. 

1. The ship is just stunning. 

2. Kids sail "free" is a major bonus. My kids really enjoyed the kids program. Everyone is whining about unattended kids ... we didn't really experience this. There's an adults only pool. If you don't like kids, well there ya go. 

3. The service was awesome. My son and I have food allergies. Mine is potentially deadly. I didn't die, nor was I made to feel like an inconvenience at any point. They were more than accommodating. 

4. The nightly party scene was perfect. FUN but not 4 day Carnival Booze Cruise fun LOL! Classy fun. The music was awesome everywhere we went. They definitely realized that half the passengers would be American and made sure we stayed entertained. The shows were really good too. 

Having been on two European cruise lines (MSC and Costa), I felt a lot less snubbed for being an American on MSC LOL. 

• Like 1

I am currently on MSC Armonia, our fourth cruise with MSC.  We are in an OV cabin, have no ambition for Yacht Club.  The ship is their smallest class, smaller than Carnival Fantasy class, but she seems more spacious.  Cabins are smaller, but storage is good.  They are trying to maintain traditional cruising, not an amusement park atmosphere.  They want people to socialize, so there are lots of lounges with comfortable seating.  Lots of music about the ship.  There are 1100 passengers from and Americas, and 900 from other areas, mostly Europe.  We will cruise MSC again when they are a bargain.  EM

• Like 1