San Francisco Embarking

jimlouisesophie

I am having mixed comments on embarking at San Francisco pier.  Comments here say we have to wait and give our bags to a porter, otherwise we can take them ourselves BUT will be responsible to carry them on board.  Our travel agent sent us this note:   Upon arrival, take your luggage to the the designated drop off area. Porter assistance is also available. Luggage is scanned and then loaded onboard and delivered to your stateroom. Please be advised that curbside porters are not employees of Princess Cruises. You are responsible for your belongings at all times.

My question is:  if we take our bags to the designated drop off, do we also have to take them on board, or will they be delivered to our room later?

Hi - When you pull up infront of the terminal there will be many porter to take your luggage if you wish.  They and Princess will handle everything after that and the next time you see them will be at your stateroom door a bit later in the day.  You can also keep your luggage with you the whole time  but you will have to be able to handle them all yourself, including putting up on the table to go thru the security scanner.  There will be somewhere on board to put them until 1:00 when you can get into your stateroom.  Have a wonderful cruise!

I am not sure if you can skip the porters and do the check in yourself. I am not referring to carrying on board yourself. The porters put luggage on a cart and wheel it into a sorting area. I do not believe you can go in there so you would still have to give it to a porter who wheels it in. If anyone knows how to skip the porters let me know.

1 hour ago, jimlouisesophie said:

I am having mixed comments on embarking at San Francisco pier.  Comments here say we have to wait and give our bags to a porter, otherwise we can take them ourselves BUT will be responsible to carry them on board.  Our travel agent sent us this note:   Upon arrival, take your luggage to the the designated drop off area. Porter assistance is also available. Luggage is scanned and then loaded onboard and delivered to your stateroom. Please be advised that curbside porters are not employees of Princess Cruises. You are responsible for your belongings at all times.

My question is:  if we take our bags to the designated drop off, do we also have to take them on board, or will they be delivered to our room later?

After you take your bags to the designated drop off area OR give to a porter, the bags will be brought on board and delivered to your stateroom.  Once you hand them over you will not see them again untilaround dinner time, though I have seen them arrive much earlier, occasionally later .  They will be brought to your cabin by the baggage guys and your stateroom attendant will put them in your cabin.  You only have to carry on board those bags you wish to keep with you.

3 hours ago, Blondilu said:

After you take your bags to the designated drop off area OR give to a porter, the bags will be brought on board and delivered to your stateroom.  Once you hand them over you will not see them again untilaround dinner time, though I have seen them arrive much earlier, occasionally later .  They will be brought to your cabin by the baggage guys and your stateroom attendant will put them in your cabin.  You only have to carry on board those bags you wish to keep with you.

Thx, all for the replies, and it seems that Blondliu advise is the most accurate, so will just take the bags to the drop off area ourselves and then will see them later on in our cabin...