Dock at 7 (FLL) and trying to make a 9:40 flight - how risky?

6 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Elevator is irrelevant.  Customs being short handed is irrelevant if you are one of the first off the ship.  There is no traffic between Port Everglades and FLL, so that's irrelevant.  They'll have their bag with them, so that's irrelevant.  TSA is unlikely to be long that early before the cruisers, so that's probably irrelevant.  Any other irrelevant issues you would like to scare OP with?

Actually, there can be monstrous traffic messes at the port.  Once, they had one of the entrances blocked off and sheriffs were directing everyone the other way.  It was a CF.

4 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Elevator is irrelevant.  Customs being short handed is irrelevant if you are one of the first off the ship.  There is no traffic between Port Everglades and FLL, so that's irrelevant.  They'll have their bag with them, so that's irrelevant.  TSA is unlikely to be long that early before the cruisers, so that's probably irrelevant.  Any other irrelevant issues you would like to scare OP with?

You said it yourself.  You can avoid the delay by being first off the ship, so it's not "beyond your control" one bit.  You could also use Uber and skip the cab line or if a shuttle is leaving and available, that's another option.  So it turns out there is quite a bit of control in this scenario.

What about the big accident on the freeway is that unavoidable? Or the cab/uber vehicle breaking down? Sure maybe slim that it occurs but it could happen

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

What's with all the scare mongering?  Why would you be tired, sweaty, grumpy or hungry from getting up at 6AM?  That's a pretty normal time for many people.  You wander down and hop in line, then walk off the ship like anyone else, then get in a cab like anyone else, then get out of the cab at the airport like anyone else... then walk up and go through security and to your gate like anyone else.  You can keep a snack in your cabin for when you wake up or just grab a really early breakfast, or just grab something at the airport as well.  It's really not that difficult or complicated to act like a grown up.

IT happens all the time delays happen when you least want them.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Actually, there can be monstrous traffic messes at the port.  Once, they had one of the entrances blocked off and sheriffs were directing everyone the other way.  It was a CF.

Haven't seen it yet, but sure.  Life happens and on extremely rare conditions it takes a little longer to get out of the port because of a freak closure.  I'd call that pretty irrelevant.  Especially since my wife worked at port everglades for 5 years, and I just asked her and she said she can't recall that ever happening when she has been at work.

I mean, the cab could also get a flat and every other cab you call to pick you up from the first cab could get hit by meteors and have engine trouble or Elvis comes back and surprises with an impromptu concert in the middle of the airport entrance.  I would definitely take a later flight, maybe even one 3 days out just in case the ship has an engine explosion and you get stuck at sea for a few days.  Have to be careful!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Haven't seen it yet, but sure.  Life happens and on extremely rare conditions it takes a little longer to get out of the port because of a freak closure.  I'd call that pretty irrelevant.  Especially since my wife worked at port everglades for 5 years, and I just asked her and she said she can't recall that ever happening when she has been at work.

I mean, the cab could also get a flat and every other cab you call to pick you up from the first cab could get hit by meteors and have engine trouble or Elvis comes back and surprises with an impromptu concert in the middle of the airport entrance.  I would definitely take a later flight, maybe even one 3 days out just in case the ship has an engine explosion and you get stuck at sea for a few days.  Have to be careful!

Snore............................................................... Also op is so worried about a 7 hour wait at the airport yet I just looked at orbitz and there are at least 3 or 4 flights after 9 40 and less than 7 hours out. So there are ALWAYS options.

Edited by WeLuvVacation

4 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

What about the big accident on the freeway is that unavoidable? Or the cab/uber vehicle breaking down? Sure maybe slim that it occurs but it could happen

That's called "life" and these things are UNUSUAL.  We don't plan for a freak/unusual issue.  If that happens, you know what you do?  You get on a later flight... the horror!!!!  

And besides, thank god there is no highway between port everglades and FLL, along with multiple alternate options.  Last time I left PortMiami to drive home near FLL, there was a fatal accident that shut down I95.  We got off the highway, took an alternate route.  It added 15 minutes to the drive.  We were home right at 8AM and that was with getting off the ship at 7AM and a much longer drive from Miami than from PE.

Cab/Uber breaks down?  Get in another one.  Uber can pick you up from your broken down Uber.  Cool, right?  And since it's across the street from the airport, you could probably just walk from where the car broke down.

Anything else we would like to scare OP with?  I mean, we can't possibly be happy until OP is terrified and full of anxiety, right?

4 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

Snore............................................................... Also op is so worried about a 7 hour wait at the airport yet I just looked at orbitz and there are at least 3 or 4 flights after 9 40 and less than 7 hours out.

So lots of flights to pick up stand by?  Got it.  All the more reason to go with 9:40.

33 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

Well someone said that they were signed up on United and Delta so that was why I was asking.

Yes that is me.

I do not know about Jet Blue site, because we do not fly them.

You would have to go to there site and access your profile.

I know Delta and United have a profile page where we place our information on.

We used to have one on Continental till they merged.

Safe travels.

Just now, WeLuvVacation said:

And the guarantee that you'll get one of those stand by flights. All the more reason to leave a little later.

Who cares?  Do you think if you miss your flight there is some sort of pit of darkness they throw you in?  You never get to go home, bwahahhahahah!!!!!!!  It's not difficult, actually.  You seriously just walk up to the counter and let them know you missed your flight due to whatever circumstances.  And the nice person at the counter will get you all setup to get home as quickly as they can get you there!  And if you can just get rebooked on a later flight, it may be enough time to hit up the beach for an impromptu extra day of vacation.

Made a 9:45 flight a couple of weeks ago getting off Celebrity Equinox in FLL, albeit after debarkation was delayed a bit (maybe 30 minutes), we got off the ship around 8:15 and hopped into a cab, just a small line at curbside check-in for Southwest, we did have TSA pre-check (randomly assigned), and my phone pinged in the x-ray machine so I had to deal with that.  We still had time to get a quick bite for breakfast and a short time to spare.  Yes, I was sweating it, but I'd probably do it again.  

Just now, nalatrixie74 said:

i thought during check in they asked about return flight info so they could assign times to debark. i didn't see that checking in. do you do that another time?

That part of online check-in was removed a while back.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

That part of online check-in was removed a while back.

thank you, our flight is 10:40, and we don't really want to self assist... do they ask about flights when you arrive, or should we self assist to ensure getting off early? its been a few years since we sailed, i dont remember

18 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

thank you, our flight is 10:40, and we don't really want to self assist... do they ask about flights when you arrive, or should we self assist to ensure getting off early? 

Depends on your arrival time and airport. If you are 3+ hrs from scheduled arrival to flight time you can chance regular debarkation with asking for a fairly low tag #.

24 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

thank you, our flight is 10:40, and we don't really want to self assist... do they ask about flights when you arrive, or should we self assist to ensure getting off early? its been a few years since we sailed, i dont remember

Another option is The Key if that works for you.  If you are getting drink packages and what not anyways and it's within your budget, then the priority disembarkation would clearly be of value.  You don't have to carry your own bags and you can still get off first/early without going traditional group numbers.

26 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

If you want to do self-assist, there's no need to contact Guest Services, you just show up in the self-assist line with your bags.

If you want to take advantage of standard luggage service, I'd go to Guest Services mid-cruise and ask for the earliest possible luggage tags.  If they cannot give you 8am (or earlier) luggage tags, then I'd do self-assist.

• Thanks 1

Royal/Celebrity at most of the terminals in PEV now has facial recognition which really speeds up the debark.  If you have a passport and have not over purchased, do self assist and you will be off fairly quickly.

18 hours ago, BNBR said:

not gonna lie ... am going to be seriously disappointed if we don't get an impromptu Elvis concert with bonus meteors!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

not gonna lie ... am going to be seriously disappointed if we don't get an impromptu Elvis concert with bonus meteors!

You really never know!  From reading this thread, it appears just about anything can and does happen almost every day.  To the point I'd also be disappointed if something fantastical didn't happen.

This thread well demonstrates why things go south on Internet forums...

I'm the OP.  Here's the post that started it all:

Looks a little close.  We'd sure get home sooner but I'm concerned that I'm going to miss the plane... 

We'd carry off our own luggage (of course).  Think we can make it?  Ever done this?

Notice I didn't ask if YOU WOULD do this.  I didn't ask if it would be stressful.  I didn't ask if it is the kind of thing YOU would like to try.  I didn't ask if in YOUR OPINION this is a dumb thing to do or for you to let me know YOU THINK this is dumb.  I didn't ask if I could control every variable, including Elvis and meteors, on the way to the airport.

I I asked if (1) I could make the plane  and (2) have you ever done this.

A lot of folks here took up a lot of bandwidth answering how they would proceed in this situation.  What I wanted to know is (1) can it be done and (2) WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE TRYING TO DO THIS.  

Mega thanks to those who answered my questions.  Particularly shout out to BNBR for all his helpful posts.

If you are wondering what we decided we have rented a swimming camel.  We will jump from our balcony even before we dock, climb aboard and he will swim us to the airport where a swarm of trained African honeybees will pick us up and deposit us on the tarmac by our plane.  Yes, I'm concerned they will lose our luggage.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

A lot of folks here took up a lot of bandwidth answering how they would proceed in this situation.  

That's par for the course in CC threads, even if you specifically ask not to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mscinmia said:

Royal/Celebrity at most of the terminals in PEV now has facial recognition which really speeds up the debark.  If you have a passport and have not over purchased, do self assist and you will be off fairly quickly.

At Port of Miami, this option was not available to Canadians.  There was a separate queue for Canadians and US Citizens with birth certificates only.  Fortunately, it was a VERY short line.

Pretty entertaining thread. :)

Since @BNBR mentioned the key, I thought I would chime in.  My husband and I flights are at 10am and our oasis class ship docks at 6:00am.  Being a first time cruiser, not sure when we are permitted to begin disembarking, however, we also purchased the key and as a perk, it's supposed to allow us to get off the ship pretty quickly. 

Good luck to you and what you decide to do.

2 minutes ago, LoveTheSoul said:

... Being a first time cruiser, not sure when we are permitted to begin disembarking ...

You can get off as early as 6:45am if you opt for self-assist disembarkation.

• Like 1