NCL Poker Tournament for newbie

Jasonmom

I'd love to try the poker tournament.  I usually do the blackjack tournaments and have done ok.   I know with blackjack tournaments you buy in and get a certain amount of chips (if I'm remembering right it was $5000 in fake chips last cruise).  From there you play I think 7 hands and whoever has the most money wins.

So I think I've figured out the buy-in is usually $100.  The game is Texas Holdem.  That's about as far as I've gotten.  Are you given fake chips?  What's the small blind?  Big blind?  Is there a max bet? 

Who out there has played and had fun?  

Any help would be appreciated.

47 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

I'd love to try the poker tournament.  I usually do the blackjack tournaments and have done ok.   I know with blackjack tournaments you buy in and get a certain amount of chips (if I'm remembering right it was $5000 in fake chips last cruise).  From there you play I think 7 hands and whoever has the most money wins.

So I think I've figured out the buy-in is usually $100.  The game is Texas Holdem.  That's about as far as I've gotten.  Are you given fake chips?  What's the small blind?  Big blind?  Is there a max bet? 

Who out there has played and had fun?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Below is a link to a post with some further info.  The info is from last year, so the amount shown as $2,200 has increased to $2,250 in 2019.

The game is no limit Texas Holdem, you start with 2,000 in "fake" tournament chips, blinds are 100/200.  There is no max bet in no limit games.

There are two types of tournaments:  super satellites for the annual Poker Challenge cruise ($100 buyin) , and cash tournaments ($80 buyin).

On 8/26/2019 at 4:40 PM, Mike_DeA said:

Below is a link to a post with some further info.  The info is from last year, so the amount shown as $2,200 has increased to $2,250 in 2019.

The game is no limit Texas Holdem, you start with 2,000 in "fake" tournament chips, blinds are 100/200.  There is no max bet in no limit games.

There are two types of tournaments:  super satellites for the annual Poker Challenge cruise ($100 buyin) , and cash tournaments ($80 buyin).

In this it says:

Both tournaments are short stacked. Start with 2,000 in chips, blinds are 100/200. 30 minute levels for the first two, then 15 minute levels thereafter.

Does that mean there is only 30 minute play and whoever is ahead at that point wins?  Seems like a short time.

13 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

In this it says:

Both tournaments are short stacked. Start with 2,000 in chips, blinds are 100/200. 30 minute levels for the first two, then 15 minute levels thereafter.

Does that mean there is only 30 minute play and whoever is ahead at that point wins?  Seems like a short time.

No, levels refer to how long the blinds stay at that level.  So the small blind/big blind start at 100/200, then increase after 30 minutes, then increase after another 30 minutes, then every 15 minutes....

This is basic poker tournament stuff, so I would suggest becoming familiar with the game online or via a free app before playing for real money, unless you are just looking at it as your cost for entertainment. 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:09 AM, Jasonmom said:

Played at a free site as recommended yesterday. Played for a long time on free monies given to start.  Up and down in the money till finally became tired and bet silly hands. Blinds never went up.

Sounds like you were not playing in a tournament, but instead were playing a "cash game" even though it was not real money. 

• Like 1