Pompeii/Smithsonian

dogs4fun

53 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

For those interested in classical Roman antiquity, the September issue of Smithsonian Magazine has an interesting article on Pompeii.

Working on seeing if we can get a sticky up top where we can feature things like this article, books, television and movies that are of interest to our board. Hopefully I'll get the go ahead (for this one I decided to check with Laura since we're going somewhat off topic!) and we can have our little culture corner. Since so many of us use, have used, will continue to use info of this sort to augment our planning, I, and other members, believe it would be a helpful and fun addition to our little sticky collection. 

Hope to hear back soon and get it up there. Thank you for posting about Pompeii from Smithsonian. I used to loooove this magazine and be a subscriber once upon a time, when I had time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Fantastic, thank you. Always exciting to hear about new finds, although I will admit that I'm with Mary Beard somewhat with regard to new excavations. They've had trouble enough maintaining what's already exposed.

P.S.  I happen to collect the little "official" guidebooks published in the 1940s-1970s for Italian Roman sites, authored by the archeologist Maiuri who is referred to in the story. He may have been lax at recording finds, but his descriptions of the houses in Pompeii (and Herculaneum and other sites) are fantastic -- much more detailed than guidebooks you can find today.

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Fantastic, thank you. Always exciting to hear about new finds, although I will admit that I'm with Mary Beard somewhat with regard to new excavations. They've had trouble enough maintaining what's already exposed.

Agree - hope what is currently excavated can been maintained.  Would love to take a tour through Pompeii with Mary.

It is such a shame that so much was destroyed during WWII. Among other things, I would have loved to have visited the Camposanto Monumentale in Pisa prior to WWII - bet the frescoes were amazing. 

I need a time machine!!