life jacket

anacapri9

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, anacapri9 said:

has anyone traveled  on sapphire princess lately and know if you still need to take your life jacket to the life boat drill we have never been with princess before and someone told me that you take your life jacket with you and then someone else said this had changed just wondered?

I can remember my first few cruises when you had to bring the vest with you to the drill.  I thought the need to return to my cabin for the vest interfered with my learning the layout of the ship.  Now, a new cruiser can learn where the muster station is, leave their cabin and explore the ship and go straight to muster.  When muster is completed, PAX can resume exploring the ship without the need to return the vest to their cabin.  It also eliminates the interminable wait for the elevators while the entire ship looks to return the vests to their cabins.  There's a lot of other things to do on embarkation day.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Well now. As long as I know where my muster station is (on the back of my cabin door) there's no need to attend the next muster drill. :classic_biggrin:

That video is the British version.  As I remember, you have to play that safety video before you can watch any other channels on the TV in your cabin.

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Almost everyone knows how to put the jacket on and the ones that don't can be instructed as needed. 

Based on the number of people who put it on wrong after instructions when you had to bring your jacket to the muster, I think a fair number of people do not know how to put the jacket on correctly.

A true emergency is not the time to figure out for the first time how to put on your life jacket correctly.

I was on the Sapphire in June and no you do not have to take your life jacket to the safety briefing.  You do have to attend however and they take attendance.  

You do have to let the TV play the safety briefing to the end before you can use it.  Watching it is another matter.  After I complained to the maitre'd about the 7:45 TD dining time, he gave us a two top table in the Santa Fe MDR for 5:30 every night.  Half or more of the Santa Fe MDR is for club class.  Although older the ship is in excellent shape so enjoy your cruise. 

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

That video is the British version.  As I remember, you have to play that safety video before you can watch any other channels on the TV in your cabin.

Yep. That's why I always turn on the TV & let it play through when we leave for lunch. 

Glad to hear that the jackets are no longer required for muster.  We had to take them on our last Princess cruise but that was almost two years ago!  The other lines we have tried since (apart from Cunard) we didn't need them.

I guess the health and safety people got involved because it always seemed to be a big trip hazard on the stairs having the cords dragging along the floor (some people seemed incapable of wrapping them around the jacket as they found it!)

I don't think it was needed anyway.  We don't all try out our jackets when we get on a plane after all!

16 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

I guess the health and safety people got involved because it always seemed to be a big trip hazard on the stairs having the cords dragging along the floor (some people seemed incapable of wrapping them around the jacket as they found it!)

My guess is that there must have been some serious accidents on the ships due to people dragging the straps. 

10 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

My guess is that there must have been some serious accidents on the ships due to people dragging the straps. 

I think having thousands of people cramming into 6 elevators at the same time may have had something to do with it.

• Like 1