What are your Hurricane thoughts?

czexrus

I don't know a lot about this storm or its path. The only thing I would worry about is if the hurricane impacts your flight/embarkation. Once you are on the boat, there is little to worry about. The cruising companies will do everything in their power to not cancel a cruise. This will often include a reroute if need be

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

what’s taking Carnival so long to do the same thing???

They are watching the weather Channel to see where Jim Cantore goes then decide?

I am sure they are monitoring the storm close and will make port changes as needed.

Not simple to reroute ships when it is heading to both of your major ports on arrival / departure days.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A bit too early yet to tell.  Dorian is still a relatively small storm.  If it crosses Hispaniola, the mountains could weaken it enough that it will drop significantly in intensity and not rebuild before turning north. 

Nevertheless, the Bahamas will be in the way for either lots of rain or a full blown storm.

Doubtful Carnival will cancel the cruise, but assuming by Saturday the storm hasn't reached Florida, the ship's itinerary will most likely be different.

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

I am sure they are monitoring the storm close and will make port changes as needed.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

A bit too early yet to tell.  Dorian is still a relatively small storm.  If it crosses Hispaniola, the mountains could weaken it enough that it will drop significantly in intensity and not rebuild before turning north. 

Does RCCL have access to weather forecasts that are not available to Carnival?  I am not trying to knock Carnival, but it would be nice if they were proactive like RCCL so guests would know where their cruise is going and more importantly know that they are not cruising near the predicted path of the storm. 

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

Does RCCL have access to weather forecasts that are not available to Carnival?  I am not trying to knock Carnival, but it would be nice if they were proactive like RCCL so guests would know where their cruise is going and more importantly know that they are not cruising near the predicted path of the storm. 

Well, RCCL does have their own full time staff meteorologist, James van Fleet and to my understanding, the only cruise line in the industry to have one. So their info may be more current. I wish Carnival would follow suit.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wouldn't fear that CCL will take its pax near a predicted storm path.  There is so much flack when an itinerary is changed that they are probably holding out  in announcing a change until it is 'for sure'.  Storms and their paths do change with time.....hopeful thinking??

• Like 1

I looked at my posts last year and it looks like Carnival changed the itinerary for my cruise to Bermuda two days before our sail date.  They gave us 25% off on our next cruise.  There were no comedians the second half of the cruise.

I am hoping to make it to Bermuda on my Sept. 7th cruise this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My thoughts are RCCL has already announced itinerary changes for several ships, what’s taking Carnival so long to do the same thing???

Those RCCL ships are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. I am to sail on the Allure on Sunday out of Fort Lauderdale, It might be cancelled all together If the islands do not tear it apart it will increase in strength.The storm is expected to hit around Fort Lauderdale unless it moves further north. From what I understand. If the winds are to be to strong they might not even enter port. Currently it is showing Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral as the areas it may hit. Not Miami. We will know a lot more on Thursday. I live right between Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral so I am certainly concerned about both the cruise and my home. I was scheduled to cruise on a Carnival ship with a hurricane bearing down on Fort Lauderdale. They did not cancel till two days before the cruise. It hit Fort Lauderdale. The ships left port before the storm arrived and went out to sea to weather the storm. So we all shall see what happens over the next few days.🤞

19 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Those RCCL ships are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. I am to sail on the Allure on Sunday out of Fort Lauderdale, It might be cancelled all together If the islands do not tear it apart it will increase in strength.The storm is expected to hit around Fort Lauderdale unless it moves further north. From what I understand. If the winds are to be to strong they might not even enter port. Currently it is showing Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral as the areas it may hit. Not Miami. We will know a lot more on Thursday. I live right between Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral so I am certainly concerned about both the cruise and my home. I was scheduled to cruise on a Carnival ship with a hurricane bearing down on Fort Lauderdale. They did not cancel till two days before the cruise. It hit Fort Lauderdale. The ships left port before the storm arrived and went out to sea to weather the storm. So we all shall see what happens over the next few days.🤞

We sail the Breeze on Saturday (if it happens) and live just south of Port Canaveral so I understand the dual worries. When they cancel, how does that work? We do have trip insurance, but really want to do a vacation soonest. Just a straight refund? 

If the cruise line cancels the cruise you will get a full refund for everything you purchased back on your card. If you prepaid parking that you will need to check on. Most parking places have a cancellation fee. If they will wave it because of the canceled cruise I do not know. I have travel insurance with my charge card from Bank of America. It is excellent, but I have it in case I have a problem taking my cruise or a medical problem on the cruise or before.

Latest updates say a tropical storm hitting Melbourne / Palm Bay area Sunday at 2PM. There seems to be a consensus it may move even further north the closer we get.

Really not a lot of re-routing capability for a 3 day Bahama run. More than likely 3 days at sea.  

12 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My thoughts are RCCL has already announced itinerary changes for several ships, what’s taking Carnival so long to do the same thing???

They always wait until last minute.we sailed carnival once during hurricane season I think we were notified the day before sailing

For anyone considering booking a cruise during prime time hurricane season from anywhere in The Gulf of Mexico..........pay attention to the above posts. You might get a good deal. Could turn into a hassle or a nightmare that does not make it worth it in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

Latest updates say a tropical storm hitting Melbourne / Palm Bay area Sunday at 2PM. There seems to be a consensus it may move even further north the closer we get.

Really not a lot of re-routing capability for a 3 day Bahama run. More than likely 3 days at sea.  

I'm pretty sure they have to visit a foreign port.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RVman said:

I'm pretty sure they have to visit a foreign port.

I have been on a sailing which did not...so...….not sure if there is a storm clause....or they just pay a fine if someone bothered to file suit. 

4 hours ago, rolloman said:

Are cruises to nowhere allowed due to weather issues?  I know they are no longer allowed to be scheduled as a normal cruise.