What are your Hurricane thoughts?

czexrus

They had their "text to" info backwards... I had to call them cause it was goofy and then I saw they corrected it.  Updated below:

HURRICANE DORIAN

Weather Update – August 29, 2019 | 1:00 PM (ET)

Our Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring Hurricane Dorian’s potential impact on the departures listed below. Given that storms can be so uncertain, this information reflects our plan for these sailings based on the current forecast and is subject to change.  

As the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority, we will continue to keep an eye on the storm, factor in guidance from the National Hurricane Center, and provide timely updates as more information becomes available. 
The following homeports and ships remain under watch:  

CHARLESTON 
  • Carnival Sunshine 08/29/19 – Instead of Princess Cays on Saturday, we plan to visit Key West from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. 
  • Carnival Sunshine 09/02/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL3 to CRUISE (278473).
There is a possibility that Carnival Sunshine may not be able to return to Charleston on Monday. If the port is closed, the ship will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port. 

FORT LAUDERDALE (PORT EVERGLADES)
  • Carnival Magic 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

JACKSONVILLE
  • Carnival Ecstasy 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

PORT CANAVERAL
  • Carnival Elation 08/29/19 - We plan to visit Nassau as scheduled on Friday. We will inform our guests whether we can visit Freeport on Sunday.
  • Carnival Elation 09/02/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473).
  • Carnival Liberty 08/30/19 – We plan to depart as planned.  Our visit to Nassau will be shortened to 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Saturday.  
  • Carnival Liberty 09/02/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL2 to CRUISE (278473).
There is a possibility that Carnival Elation and Carnival Liberty may not be able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. If the port is closed, the ships will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port. 
  • Carnival Breeze 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

PORTMIAMI
  • Carnival Conquest – 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.
  • Carnival Horizon – 09/01/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL5 to CRUISE (278473). 
  • Carnival Sensation 08/31/19 – We will now visit Grand Turk on 9/2, Half Moon Cay on 9/3 and Nassau on 9/4. 
  • Carnival Victory 08/30/19 – We have replaced our call to Nassau with a visit to Key West on Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.  
  • Carnival Victory 09/02/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL6 to  CRUISE (278473).
There is a possibility that Carnival Victory may not be able to return to Miami on Monday. If the port is closed, the ship will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port. 

TAMPA
  • Carnival Paradise 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.
  • Carnival Miracle 09/01/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL4 to CRUISE ((278473).

Pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for cancelled ports will be automatically refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign® account. 

We thank our guests for their patience and understanding while we navigate through the uncertainty the storm is causing.

We will post another update by 8:00 PM (ET) today.

• Like 1

Got an email on my cruise specifically too:

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

August 29, 2019

Dear Carnival Miracle Guest,

Our Fleet Operations Center Miami is actively monitoring Hurricane Dorian. Given the storm's unpredictable forecast, we are still evaluating the potential impact on your cruise. 

As the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority, we will continue to keep an eye on the storm, factor in guidance from the National Hurricane Center, and provide timely updates as more information becomes available. 

Please visit us at help.carnival.com for the most up-to-date information and sign up for text alerts by texting CCL4 to 278473 (CRUISE). 

We thank our guests for their patience and understanding while we navigate through the uncertainty the storm is causing.

Sincerely, 

Colleen Oliverio Signature

Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers

1 hour ago, Jenn1974 said:

So here is a question.  Say I bought Cheers package and my cruise gets extended a day due to weather then do they charge me per drink or is that extra day a bonus?  LOL 

When we were on Miracle last December, we didn’t get back to Tampa until roughly 7:30 PM due to fog. On the “extra” day on the cruise they allowed everyone with Cheers to continue using the program without any additional charge. 

• Like 1

Now we have a cruise on Carnival, Monday 9/2/19,

Carnival has stated that "There is a possibility that Carnival Elation and Carnival Liberty may not be able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. If the port is closed, the ships will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port." 

So if this happens what happen to the schedule cruise for Monday? Any one ever had that happened?

6 minutes ago, natpoo said:

Now we have a cruise on Carnival, Monday 9/2/19,

Carnival has stated that "There is a possibility that Carnival Elation and Carnival Liberty may not be able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. If the port is closed, the ships will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port." 

So if this happens what happen to the schedule cruise for Monday? Any one ever had that happened?

The cruise will begin on Tuesday instead of Monday, assuming the ships can get to the port by Tuesday morning. That happened to us several years ago on Paradise. It was originally a 4 day cruise, but it turned into a 3 day cruise because Paradise couldn’t return to the port in Tampa due to fog. 

15 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The cruise will begin on Tuesday instead of Monday, assuming the ships can get to the port by Tuesday morning. That happened to us several years ago on Paradise. It was originally a 4 day cruise, but it turned into a 3 day cruise because Paradise couldn’t return to the port in Tampa due to fog. 

Just saw on our local news that the tracks are congealing with most saying landfall between West Palm and Port Canaveral.  The lone model (usually the most accurate European model)  has it hitting the Bahamas and then slowing down and working its way up the east coast. Maybe not getting up tp you till late Wednesday.  I cannot remember a hurricane ever working its way up the east coast of Florida..... 

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just saw on our local news that the tracks are congealing with most saying landfall between West Palm and Port Canaveral.  The lone model (usually the most accurate has it hitting the Bahamas and then slowing down and working its way up the east coast. Maybe not getting up tp you till late Wednesday.  I cannot remember a hurricane ever working its way up the east coast of Florida..... 

Hurricane Matthew, 2016.  I remember it clearly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, balcony bound said:

https://www.teamcomplete.com/hurricane-matthew-the-landfall-the-aftermath-the-recovery/

Friday, October 7, 2007:
Hurricane Matthew’s eye moved along the Florida coast, but remained offshore. The storm’s surge, though, caused high tides in St. Augustine, Florida, by the afternoon, sending water over the city’s seawall. Ormond Beach and Jacksonville, in Florida, also experienced flooding as a result of the high tides.

Florida was spared from catastrophic damage, but the winds and flooding attributed to five deaths in the state. Approximately 1 million Florida residents were without power as the 110 mph winds by Friday afternoon as Matthew gained momentum and was designated a Category 2.

Savannah, Georgia experienced significant flooding as Hurricane Matthew’s eye traveled northward off the Georgia coast. Savannah’s Saint Simon Island also experienced flooding resulting from the storm surge and parts of Interstate 95 were completely under water.

Radar image of Hurricane Matthew path as it passed east of Melbourne

“Radar image of Hurricane Matthew as it passed east of Melbourne, Florida. Coverage of the eastern side of the storm is limited by the reach of radar.” Source: Wikimedia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

https://www.teamcomplete.com/hurricane-matthew-the-landfall-the-aftermath-the-recovery/

Friday, October 7, 2007:
Hurricane Matthew’s eye moved along the Florida coast, but remained offshore. The storm’s surge, though, caused high tides in St. Augustine, Florida, by the afternoon, sending water over the city’s seawall. Ormond Beach and Jacksonville, in Florida, also experienced flooding as a result of the high tides.

Florida was spared from catastrophic damage, but the winds and flooding attributed to five deaths in the state. Approximately 1 million Florida residents were without power as the 110 mph winds by Friday afternoon as Matthew gained momentum and was designated a Category 2.

Savannah, Georgia experienced significant flooding as Hurricane Matthew’s eye traveled northward off the Georgia coast. Savannah’s Saint Simon Island also experienced flooding resulting from the storm surge and parts of Interstate 95 were completely under water.

Radar image of Hurricane Matthew path as it passed east of Melbourne

“Radar image of Hurricane Matthew as it passed east of Melbourne, Florida. Coverage of the eastern side of the storm is limited by the reach of radar.” Source: Wikimedia

Wonder what a cat 4 would do.....

My thoughts you ask? When you book during hurricane season often for 1/3 or 1/2 the normal price you are taking a calculated risk. Hurricane season is not a secret. I just booked one for November and am hoping for the best! Even sailing around the ship for a few days isn't a bad deal. Carnival cruises are a bargain any way you cut it. My fingers are crossed for all of you with this one coming!!

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

You and me both :classic_wink: 

And my little doggo who was shaking and quaking the entire time.

For some reason I thought that one wasn't going to be as scary as some of the others had been to go through. OMG it was awful...

• Like 1

I have lived in Brevard County for 40+ years and have experienced inconveniences by way of evacuation from the Barrier Islands and power outages, very minor damage to trees, fences and shingles.  I don't anticipate anything worse than what we have had in the past.  The sun is shining and it's beautiful outside. Keep positive thoughts coming our way!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 2:15 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

That has been my experience and the experience of several of my friends who live in Florida. Carnival has a history of waiting until people are at the terminal or on the ship before letting them know about itinerary changes.  

I haven't read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has already been said, but I don't think you can make generalizations like this...

2 years ago when Harvey & Irma were hitting Galveston and parts of Florida, there were several threads where people on RCCL cruises were slamming them, asking the very question you raised here, juxtaposed... in summary they were asking, if Carnival can announce their plans in advance, why is RCCL delaying their decisions until it's too late to make the appropriate arrangements?'

So it seems that from storm to storm, each situation is unique.

32 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I haven't read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has already been said, but I don't think you can make generalizations like this...

2 years ago when Harvey & Irma were hitting Galveston and parts of Florida, there were several threads where people on RCCL cruises were slamming them, asking the very question you raised here, juxtaposed... in summary they were asking, if Carnival can announce their plans in advance, why is RCCL delaying their decisions until it's too late to make the appropriate arrangements?'

So it seems that from storm to storm, each situation is unique.

They are, and there are many factors involved.  Number of home ports, number of ships where they are positioned, what the track of the storm is, the severity of the storm, timing of the storm ab\nd ob and on.  Cruise lines primary concern is the safety of their clients and crew and followed by their assets.  There is one more factor, and that is lessor but still important, each day out of service costs them tons of money.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just saw on our local news that the tracks are congealing with most saying landfall between West Palm and Port Canaveral.  The lone model (usually the most accurate European model)  has it hitting the Bahamas and then slowing down and working its way up the east coast. Maybe not getting up tp you till late Wednesday.  I cannot remember a hurricane ever working its way up the east coast of Florida..... 

Hurricane Michael just 3 years ago did just that...last year Irma went straight up the middle of Florida from the Keys.

32 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Hurricane Michael just 3 years ago did just that...last year Irma went straight up the middle of Florida from the Keys.

Actually started on the west coast hit above Naples and thankfully jogged in a bit and the storm surge (which was supposed to be 20+ feet was 4.  Lived thru this one, it did cause a tremendous amount of havoc for the entire state, even Jacksonville flooded from the storm surge.  An amazing storm, at one point in time both 75 and 95 (main north and south highways in Fl) were used as evac routes and the governor had gas stationed at key points.  We were without power in Ft Myers for two weeks, the transit line poles (cement)were snapped off....

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

I won't be impacted by any hurricane this year with regard to cruising, but I just wanted to say that if my cruise WAS impacted by a hurricane, I wouldn't expect any compensation from the cruise line. That's why prices tend to be cheaper during hurricane season. I'd just go with the flow, take a lot of videos and load up on dramamine.

Where do you see lower prices during hurricane season? With the exception of cruises over the Christmas/New Years timeframe, the most expensive cruises we have been on were in the Summer, which is right in the middle of hurricane season. I agree with your point about not expecting compensation. We are going on a cruise tomorrow and the only thing I expect from Carnival is to keep the ship away from Dorian. 

58 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Where do you see lower prices during hurricane season? With the exception of cruises over the Christmas/New Years timeframe, the most expensive cruises we have been on were in the Summer, which is right in the middle of hurricane season.

September is the most active month of the hurricane season. The entire season runs from May 1st, thru November 30th.

Typically, Carnival cruises are discounted from mid-late August thru September. This is when we cruise historically. In all of our cruises, this will/may be the first that we are effected(We are scheduled to sail 9/2/19 on Liberty).

Question for anyone who may be knowledgeable. I'm heading out on the Ecstasy on Saturday. Now the cruise itself I'm not worried about, it's the parking at the Port. What are the chances that the lot gets flooded if the storm stays on it's current track? I figure a direct hit would definitely do it with the storm surge, but not sure about runoff or a lot of rain.

I'm trying to decide if I park there or at the airport.