What are your Hurricane thoughts?

czexrus

We sailed thru the end of Hurricane Michelle in November 2001 on Majesty of the Seas. We left Nassau at noon on Sunday Nov. 4 heading back to Miami to dock on Monday morning. We made it to Miami on time, but the seas were so rough the ship couldn't dock. Majesty spent the entire day - until about 3:30pm - sitting within sight of the Miami skyline. A huge cheer went up the entire atrium about 3:30 when we could see the harbor pilot coming out to the ship!

Once off the ship we did make it to the airport - which was a complete zoo! This was only two weeks after 9/11 and airports were chaotic under the best circumstances.

So......sometimes the port has to be closed even if a storm isn't a direct hit.

BTW - My daughter and I had a GREAT time in spite of the weather!!!!

The wind (which is currently ranging from EF-4 to EF-5 tornado like speeds) as well as the wind and storm surge go out in a radius from the storm as well. Raking the coast will slow it weakening and might also force the maximum swell of the surge depending.

Not to mention there's also a ULL low in Lousianna that depending on what it does and when it does it, might force Dorian into Florida and prevent it from turning from what I've been reading? With the horrific damage being done in the Bahamas at the moment, and past incidents like what RCL did during Harvey, probably just safe to cancel ahead of time.

With the new path it puts in line.  Just filled up 30 gallons worth of gas jugs and gave the generator a test run.  My main concern is the Bahamas.  Many of the islands were still recovering from the last one, hate to see them get hit again.  Especially considering how difficult it is for them to rebuild. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jdemps said:

I would never book a cruise during hurricane season.  We like to cruise in Jan/Feb when there aren't many kids on board and there isn't typically any weather issue during those months.  Good luck to everyone that does gamble on hurricane season, especially in the Atlantic.  Stay safe and bring motion sickness meds cuz I'm sure the seas are rockin'!

I understand your position, and any one else who gets one vacation a year would also appreciate your opinion.

However, when someone vacations numerous times a year, it sometimes gets difficult avoiding all Caribbean travel during the June to November hurricane season.  This year we have two Caribbean cruises booked.  We just got off the Conquest yesterday and have a southern 11 day itinerary on Celebrity Equinox set for October.  In November we'll be in Punta Cana  for 10 days before Thanksgiving.  In those 3 months we'll spend 28 days in the Caribbean.

We were in Antigua at Galley Bay in September of 1995 until the night before Cat 5 Luis struck that isle, so we've had storm experience stories to tell at holiday get togethers for some time now.  My last memory of Antigua on that trip was a beautiful cloudless blue sky as we were packing up to leave.

BTW, the seas on our 8/24 to 8/31 cruise that just ended had barely a ripple in them.  

Edited by evandbob

I will be on the magic in a couple of weeks.  Does anyone know if Half Moon Cay was affected by Dorian?

it appears that Grand Turk wasn't it... not sure about Amber Cove.  These are our three destinations. I have done many cruises during Hurricane season.  Once, we were rerouted to Western only to have a hurrcane and tropical storm develop in area as well. There were 3 active hurricanes and one tropical storm going on during that cruise. We did have to come back through the tropical storm..  very nerve racking.

The situation on Grand Bahama Island is so sad.... I just can't imagine what the people are going through with such castastrophic winds and rain... prayers for everyone in this storms path.

• Like 1

Here is the latest official information from Carnival:

Hurricane Dorian Weather Update

Weather Update – September 2, 2019 | 8:30 AM (ET)  

URGENT – CARNIVAL SUNSHINE DEPARTING CHARLESTON AS SCHEDULED.  CHECK-IN OPEN FROM 9:30 AM 
Our Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring Hurricane Dorian’s potential impact on the departures listed below. Given that storms can be so uncertain, this information reflects our plan for these sailings based on the current forecast.

As the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority, we will continue to keep an eye on the storm and factor in guidance from the National Hurricane Center, U.S. Coast Guard and the local port authorities to provide timely updates as more information becomes available. 

The following homeports and ships remain under watch:  

CHARLESTON  

Carnival Sunshine 09/02/19 – Departing on Monday as scheduled.  Our call to Half Moon Cay has been canceled.
We are closely monitoring the situation in Charleston.  We know that all of our guests want to make it to the terminal this afternoon, but we encourage everyone to remain safe and obey all guidance provided by officials.  If you are unable to use I26, please consider taking Hwy 61 or Hwy 17.  

Given the circumstances, we can accommodate guests who arrive as early as 9:30 AM for check-in.  

Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL3 to CRUISE (278473).

JACKSONVILLE

Carnival Ecstasy 09/05/19 – Still evaluating.  Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL12 to CRUISE (278473).  

There is a possibility Carnival Ecstasy will not be able to return to Jacksonville on Thursday.  If the port is closed, the ship will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port.

PORT CANAVERAL

Port Canaveral is closed to inbound traffic. We are optimistic the port will reopen by Thursday.  

Carnival Liberty 09/02/19This cruise is cancelled.  Guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased items. 

Carnival Elation 09/02/19Will now operate as a 2 day sailing departing Thursday, 9/05 and returning Saturday, 9/07. Port of call: To be determined. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages. Guests who wish to cancel will receive a 100% future cruise credit.

PORTMIAMI

Carnival Horizon 09/01/19 – PortMiami is closed and expected to reopen no earlier than Wednesday.   

We now plan to operate a 3 day cruise, departing on Wednesday 9/04 and returning Saturday 9/07. We will visit Nassau on Thursday from 9:00AM to 5:00PM.

Guests who sail will receive a 50% prorated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages, and a full refund of any pre-purchased shore excursions.  Additionally, you will receive a 50% future cruise credit. 

Given the shortened duration, you may cancel and receive a 100% future cruise credit.  Please contact 1-800-CARNIVAL by 6:00PM on Monday, 09/02, if you decide to cancel and claim your future cruise credit.  An email with more information will be sent to you this evening.

We know how much you are looking forward to your cruise and we sincerely regret this delay.  We hope you will continue with your plans to sail with us. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL5 to CRUISE (278473). 
We sincerely apologize for the disruption caused by Hurricane Dorian.  We thank our guests for their patience and understanding while we navigate through the uncertainty the storm is causing.

Carnival Victory 9/02/19Will now operate as a 2 day sailing departing Wednesday, 9/04 and returning Friday, 9/06. Port of call: Key West on 9/05. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages. Guests who wish to cancel will receive a 100% future cruise credit. 

We will post another update by 12:00 PM (ET) Monday. 

15 minutes ago, cruzn buckeye said:

I will be on the magic in a couple of weeks.  Does anyone know if Half Moon Cay was affected by Dorian?

it appears that Grand Turk wasn't it... not sure about Amber Cove.  These are our three destinations. I have done many cruises during Hurricane season.  Once, we were rerouted to Western only to have a hurrcane and tropical storm develop in area as well. There were 3 active hurricanes and one tropical storm going on during that cruise. We did have to come back through the tropical storm..  very nerve racking.

The situation on Grand Bahama Island is so sad.... I just can't imagine what the people are going through with such castastrophic winds and rain... prayers for everyone in this storms path.

Looking at the storm's path so far, Amber Cove was unaffected.  I have friends building a house on Middle Caicos Island just north of Grand Turk and they told me their place wasn't hit, so I'll wager that GT escaped as well.  Someone else may contribute an update on HMC, as I don't remember where in the chain of Bahamanian isles it lays - thinking it's closer to GT than Nassau, neither of which had any major storm issues.  Anyone know for sure?

Enjoy your cruise.

only been to Grand Bahama once and wasn't thrilled with experience.  that said, the people were delightful and my heart aches for this island today.  I'll be sure to donate to first relief fund I come across later today. 

the two things I remember most was seeing previous storm damage and the Carnival dry dock from our shuttle van.  

4 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Looking at the storm's path so far, Amber Cove was unaffected.  I have friends building a house on Middle Caicos Island just north of Grand Turk and they told me their place wasn't hit, so I'll wager that GT escaped as well.  Someone else may contribute an update on HMC, as I don't remember where in the chain of Bahamanian isles it lays - thinking it's closer to GT than Nassau, neither of which had any major storm issues.  Anyone know for sure?

Enjoy your cruise.

HMC is South of Eluethera, well South of Nassau. 

On 8/28/2019 at 12:04 AM, BNBR said:

Eh.  It's a baby storm.  I doubt there will be much to worry about at all.  75mph is a typical afternoon thunderstorm around here 🙂  We likely won't even bother taking the patio furniture in.

You were saying?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Enjoy your cruise.

from looking at a map,  Grand Turk is near the Dominican republic. I forgot that Amber Cove is on the Dominican republic.  Half Moon Cay is out to the right and down from Nassau... but not near the Dominic Republic.

I have been searching different boards and can't find the answer... I know Carnival has cancelled some stops at Nassau and Half Moon Caye for current sailings.. this is why I am wondering if it is affected... Hopefully not. It is a beautiful island and looking forward going there...

However, the safety of the people on all the islands are much more important than the cruise.

13 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Enjoy your cruise.

thank you for the quick response 🙂😂

11 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

HMC is South of Eluethera, well South of Nassau. 

thanks, I was checking out a map.. and just wasn't sure if the path went through there.

Looks like it will be okay... at leastthrough this one.. there does appear to be another something brewing and heading our way from off the coast of Africa.. yikes... hopefully it takes a quick turn northward staying over water...

Edited by cruzn buckeye

18 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

I feel bad for Bahamas, I hope everyone there is ok. It does appear Freeport is getting slammed and may not be a port Carnival docks at for some time now. I know many did not like Freeport to dock but this is not how I wanted that itinerary to change. 

On numerous Cruise Critic's threads, Freeport, Nassau, and Jamaica appear to be the least enjoyed Caribbean ports of call.

Nice to see Freeport getting some love now.......

I believe I read someone on the boards here that Carnival was going to be building a new cruise port there. Not sure when that's going to happen now... Once the people and the destruction are taken care of, which will possibly take months, if not years, it would be nice to have a different place to dock.