Barcelona port question

1 hour ago, Sea Legs said:

What is the distance between the port in Barcelona and the airport.  Would a flight departing at 11:45 work following the cruise?

When disembarking in Barcelona we normally do self assist off the ship and in a taxi by 08.00am and have always even in plenty of time to get our 10.25am flight back to the UK.

I would suggest you be off by 08.00am as not sure what the situation is with flights back to the USA.

At that time in the morning there really shouldn’t be more than a couple of minutes wait for a taxi.

We have always found them to be very well organised.

We had a 10:30 flight (if I remember correctly) and booked a car to ensure that we would not need to wait for a taxi.  We debarked so quickly that we were way ahead of our reserved time for the car, so we cancelled and took one of the many taxis that were waiting.  We were waiting in line in the airport before the Delta check-in counter even opened.  11:45 shouldn't be a problem.

6 minutes ago, marshaatn said:

We had an 11:00 a.m. flight and made it with no problem. We booked a private car that picked us up at 7:30 a.m., it went very smoothly. 

Do you recall the cost of that private car transport, and did they pick you up right at the ship, or did you have to make your own way out of the port area?

Hook up with another couple or two on your Roll Call and book a van for 4,6,8 people from the cruise port to BCN.  We use Ziptransfers. Very reasonable rates and always on time.  Departing BCN cruise port, no customs/immigration.  Just show your passport on the way out.  Zip transfers will take 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage to the airport for 37 Euro.  They have a variety of prices depending on the number of people/luggage you have.    I use them all the time from hotel to cruise port and cruise port to hotel or airport.  🍷

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Do you recall the cost of that private car transport, and did they pick you up right at the ship, or did you have to make your own way out of the port area?

Hi, we had 7 people and the cost was 79 euros. Picked us up right in front of the cruise terminal. 

2 minutes ago, marshaatn said:

Hi, we had 7 people and the cost was 79 euros. Picked us up right in front of the cruise terminal. 

Thanks.  That's about the cost of 2 taxis, which may not have handled all your bags.

34 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

In the fall of 2017, we booked 1 car/2 people/4 suitcases for 43.96 Euros.  That was with Sun Transfers.

That's very close to the flat fee of 39 Euros for a taxi.

Just back from Barcelona on Oasis last week.  We disembarked early at 07.45 and there was zero queue for taxis.  Fare was flat 39 Euros and was a taxi for 4 adults, 2 large and 2 small cases.  Larger taxis were available.  Time took approx 20 mins.

I do not recommend Sun Transfers as we used them previously and we ended up sitting for ages waiting for them and had to then take a taxi anyway.  If you don't want stress and hassle I would avoid them.

Having arrived/departed several times here unless you are on a really tight schedule then taxis are absolutely fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, normannna said:

I do not recommend Sun Transfers as we used them previously and we ended up sitting for ages waiting for them and had to then take a taxi anyway.  If you don't want stress and hassle I would avoid them.

We did not end up using Sun Transfers.  Took a taxi instead.  I originally wanted the assurance of having a car booked rather than potentially wait in line for a taxi, since we had an early flight, and the upcharge vs. a taxi was only 4 Euros.  There were a LOT of taxis waiting.  I agree that the best approach is to just get a taxi.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, Wine-O said:

Hook up with another couple or two on your Roll Call and book a van for 4,6,8 people from the cruise port to BCN.  We use Ziptransfers. Very reasonable rates and always on time.  Departing BCN cruise port, no customs/immigration.  Just show your passport on the way out.  Zip transfers will take 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage to the airport for 37 Euro.  They have a variety of prices depending on the number of people/luggage you have.    I use them all the time from hotel to cruise port and cruise port to hotel or airport.  🍷

Do you schedule this in advance, or are they waiting at the port and take first come first serve?

3 hours ago, CruisinCons said:

Do you schedule this in advance, or are they waiting at the port and take first come first serve?

We schedule in advance, and they are there at the port with all the other vans/private transports waiting specifically for us.  We've used them port to airport, port to hotel, and hotel to port, usually with other cruise critic folks.    So far they have been very reliable and on time.  🍷

• Like 1

When we’ve cruised from Barcelona with extended family and friends we’ve always pre booked to pre cruise hotel and ship to airport transportation with Bohigas and can highly recommend.

They've always been waiting at the airport or port for us with a name board.

Lovely clean vehicles and helpful drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are still a year out but starting to gather information...

With a family of 5 would it be better to split into 2 taxis or arrange private transport? It looks like it is fairly similar in price. We likely wouldn't have a ton of luggage.

Edit: It looks like private transport would be less expensive but not a huge difference in price. I am willing to pay more for ease of travel, especially at the end of a trip.

Edited by 3monkeys4me