$250 Certificates For Deposits Only??

We are booked on two cruises, one next July and one the following February. We have already booked but have not paid in full.

The Norwegian site; awful, by the way, is difficult to maneuver through to find an answer. So, I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Can we purchase a cruise next certificate and apply it as a payment for an already booked cruise.

Thanks, in advance.

22 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We are booked on two cruises, one next July and one the following February. We have already booked but have not paid in full.

The Norwegian site; awful, by the way, is difficult to maneuver through to find an answer. So, I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Can we purchase a cruise next certificate and apply it as a payment for an already booked cruise.

Thanks, in advance.

We’ve had luck using Cruise Next as a payment option through the website on multiple occasions.  Just select $250 as the amount you want to pay and then choose the cert as the payment option.

This is not guaranteed as it is not intended to work this way...  but we’ve never had a problem doing this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

We’ve had luck using Cruise Next as a payment option through the website on multiple occasions.  Just select $250 as the amount you want to pay and then choose the cert as the payment option.

This is not guaranteed as it is not intended to work this way...  but we’ve never had a problem doing this.

While it is true that the T&C say it's for new cruises only, I just applied two CN certificates to a March 2020 cruise which I booked back in June.

I purchased the CN certificates on the Escape two weeks ago.

Before I made the purchase, I asked the CN Manager on the Escape if I could use these on the cruise even though it was already booked.  He assured me I would be able to and....

...This Sunday, I went onto MYNCL and applied two of these as deposits on the March cruise.  Easy as could be!  I you are doing the "Double Up" deal, you will need to process each of the two CN's separately.

(Note --- I was told on board, that I may need to "cancel" and re-book to get it to work, but I did not have to do that.  The certs were in my account upon our return home and i was able to select in MYNCL as payment option)

• Thanks 1

I have an NCL cruise booked for May of 2021.  I am going to purchase my Cruise Next Certificates on my September 2019 cruise.  My TA states that he will be able to apply both to my May 2021 cruise.  No cancelling and rebooking required.

35 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Thanks to all who answered. But, it seems that I may be buying a "pig in a poke" and taking a chance that they would deny me on a technicality. 

It's really not a "technicality".... it's part of the T&Cs......   those who are able to do it are the exception and understand that it might not work.

• Thanks 1

I've never had an issue applying CN certs towards final payment, rather than deposit (and we've done this loads of times). I've also bought a bunch of CN certs for friends we were sailing with at a later date. These friends were already booked and none of them (4 separate families) had an issue applying as payment rather than deposit either. In no case did any of us have to rebook to apply the CNs; they were simply accepted towards payment.

This is a "rule" they commonly overlook. There was once talk NCL was going to tighten the "for deposit only" rules, but that never seemed to materialize.

I'm sure you can find someone, somewhere who was denied for some reason, but that's not been my personal experience.

It says that you can't, but I haven't had an issue yet. I was able to apply 2 during a use two promo almost 10 months after I booked (and less than 30 days before final payment). I originally booked a cruise for March in March this year with a CN (only one I had). I bought more CN on a cruise this month, and was able to log on to NCL's website and apply a second during the use two promo with no problem. I know several friends that have been able to do this as well. No price adjustments on any of them. 

This obviously doesn't work if it's past final payment - then it's new bookings only. You might have problems if it's not final payment but you've paid in full, but I have never done that (I'm the one paying the least I have to until the day before final) so I can't say. 

Yes, I used a CN when I booked a cruise 30 days out no problem. But you have to apply it when you book it. So, for example, if I was using a travel agent I had to call vs using their website because the website doesn't have a way for you to use a CN. I'm thinking booking directly on NCL's website you could use your CN since I was able to apply a CN to an already booked cruise on their website, but I haven't done it myself so can't say 100% you can do it.

Sometimes their promos might be excluded on a last minute sailing though - I believe they've offered a use 2 on a balcony or above that required the cruise be 6 months in advance.