Advice on Packing for Crossing

JES4845

While we have had the good fortune to sail on SeaDream many times the past 11 years, our first crossing will be this fall from Malaga to San Juan.

Would welcome any advice from those crossing veterans here as to what to expect in terms of weather and packing generally.  We depart Malaga Oct 27 and arrive San Juan Nov 9.   No doubt it will get warmer as we go, but sea conditions permitting, we hope to be out on deck somewhere as much as possible even if bundled up.  Trying to think through warm versus less warm weather clothing to cover all the possible scenarios without too much luggage!  Any and all good advice, tips, etc. most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

We've done the crossing a few times and in fact will be on yours.  No to worry too much about packing for these trips.  I did the EB crossing this April with a carry on only.  I made use of the SD laundry but the expense was very reasonable.  We usually pack generally for warm weather but include a sweater or windbreaker for cool breezy days early in the trip.  We have always spent much of the trip out on deck.  Hope that helps and look forward to meeting you.

Thanks much ... look forward to meeting you as well.  See you are in Orlando.  We just relocated this week full time to South Florida where we’ve had a condo for several years.  Of course our first week full time here and a hurricane or tropical storm is headed this way!  Safe travels to all.

20 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

We just relocated this week full time to South Florida where we’ve had a condo for several years.  Of course our first week full time here and a hurricane or tropical storm is headed this way!  Safe travels to all.

Yes, and we are leaving town tomorrow afternoon for a long planned SD adventure.  Here's hoping for the best for all!

We have been on many crossings in both directions over the years and will also be on yours.  Unfortunately, we always tend to over-pack, and don't use the laundry as much as we should.  And every year, I swear that I will bring less clothes and use the laundry more than prior years, and I hope to accomplish it this year.  Part of our issue is not knowing what we might want to wear of a particular evening.  And like ctbgjr1309 above, we know people who have crossed with only their carry-ons.   (We admire them.) We always bring clothes for a night or two in our carry on in the event that our luggage should get lost, and we always arrive at our embarkation point a few days early -- again, just in case of luggage or flight issues. 

I agree that a sweater or windbreaker is advisable, and we don't bring any "heavy clothes" as we can always put on another layer if needed.  We have had some crossings (I think mostly Westbound ones) where it was windy and uncomfortable outdoors, and we had to stay in the lounge for much of the cruise.  But then again we have had others where the weather outdoors was perfect for most of the trip.  We always bring shorts for the latter days in the cruise, but have found that it is good to have some longer slacks for the cooler or windy days.  (But, we don't like being cold, so we possibly error here a bit.)  So, perhaps the 50/50 rule (prepare for both) is best for us.

Edited by BeignetBoy

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, ctbjr1309 said:

We've done the crossing a few times and in fact will be on yours.  

Correction.  We are on SDI and you will be on SDII.  So we will not have the chance to meet.  Sorry for the false alarm.  Hope you all have a great trip!