Cruise Critic Community
framboesa

Our own wine in a bar

Hello! I understand that we can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin that are subject to corkage fee if open at the restaurants and that they will save it for us if we don't drink it. But, regarding to lounges/ bars...can we bring our own bottle to one bar? And will they save the bottle for us? Thank you😊

Pack your own corkscrew.  

Open your own bottle.

Get glasses from closest bar and take back to your cabin.

Pour your own wine in the cabin.

Take wine with you wherever you wish to drink it, even in dining room or theatre.

Store your own wine in your cabin.

22 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Pack your own corkscrew.  

Open your own bottle.

Get glasses from closest bar and take back to your cabin.

Pour your own wine in the cabin.

Take wine with you wherever you wish to drink it, even in dining room or theatre.

Store your own wine in your cabin.

Thanks! That's what we sometimes do, we ask the steward for a corkscrew and glasses and open it in the cabin. ☺️ But I was wondering if we could already have the bottle at the bar instead of returning to the cabin after dinner to get our wine 😉

Just now, framboesa said:

Thanks! That's what we sometimes do, we ask the steward for a corkscrew and glasses and open it in the cabin. ☺️ But I was wondering if we could already have the bottle at the bar instead of returning to the cabin after dinner to get our wine 😉

Imagine how much storage each bar would need to store wine bottles for guests.

2 minutes ago, framboesa said:

I'm too cheap to pay the corkage fee 🙂  Besides the walk back to the cabin helps burn off the calories.

When Royal dropped the corkage fee a while back we tried storing a bottle in the dining room. - we felt rushed to consume the bottle as the waitstaff were always trying to fill our glasses.  We stored an open bottle in the dining room, but then had to open another bottle if we wanted another glass of wine later in the evening.  We prefer having access to our open bottle.

Enjoy your cruise 🙂 

1 hour ago, framboesa said:

Hello! I understand that we can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin that are subject to corkage fee if open at the restaurants and that they will save it for us if we don't drink it. But, regarding to lounges/ bars...can we bring our own bottle to one bar? And will they save the bottle for us? Thank you😊

You would trust a bar on the ship to save your bottle? I don't think so.

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Imagine how much storage each bar would need to store wine bottles for guests.

11 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You would trust a bar on the ship to save your bottle? I don't think so.

We did it on other cruise line but with bottles we bought inside the ship, that's why I'm asking. On other cruise line they have all the bottles stored in the same place and we can ask for our bottle no matter where we are in the ship.

Thank you all for your inputs:classic_happy:

1 hour ago, framboesa said:

We did it on other cruise line but with bottles we bought inside the ship, that's why I'm asking. On other cruise line they have all the bottles stored in the same place and we can ask for our bottle no matter where we are in the ship.

Thank you all for your inputs:classic_happy:

I think that is the case (central storage area) on Royal too, around the Main Dining Room.  However, the bartender would have to leave the bar and fetch the wine bottle.  You may be able to get them to do this, but it might take a while.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I think that is the case (central storage area) on Royal too, around the Main Dining Room.  However, the bartender would have to leave the bar and fetch the wine bottle.  You may be able to get them to do this, but it might take a while.

Exactly this.

in theory you are able to retrieve your bottle to drink elsewhere (certainly other dining areas) but in practice we have found it a no-go. It takes so long to retrieve it and requires people with special access to go to the central area it is not worth the hassle. 

We stick to drinking it in the dining room on a consecutive night and they have managed to lose the bottle even doing that.

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Exactly this.

in theory you are able to retrieve your bottle to drink elsewhere (certainly other dining areas) but in practice we have found it a no-go. It takes so long to retrieve it and requires people with special access to go to the central area it is not worth the hassle. 

We stick to drinking it in the dining room on a consecutive night and they have managed to lose the bottle even doing that.

Thank you :) We prefer to drink after the dinner but I totally understand the hassle...i will open it in the cabin :)

Several times we have bought really nice ($$$) bottles of wine at the main bar or Vintages and asked that they store them for us for the entire cruise.  They asked us when we were dining and where.  They opened the bottles at the proper time for them to breathe, and then brought them to the dining room or specialty restaurant when we went there.  The restaurant staff was slightly miffed that they did not get the gratuity or credit for selling a great bottle, but we got the service we wanted.  We tipped the bar staff properly too.

We like really good wine and appreciate wine service that enhances the experience.  The bar staff has also decanted the wine if we request it based on the wine selected.

By the way, we are known as Mr. and Mrs. (blank - name of wine) by the waitstaff and bartenders around the ship.  Even years later.

Mary

By the way, the space the staff used to store our wine had our name on our bottles and the names of others who also were using this service.

You can bring it anywhere with you.

Do you really think someone is going to walk up to you and kick you out any venue?

Or try to take it away...