Hurricane Dorian talk

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The Anthem Captain's plan, based on the projected path of the storm (which was only forecast for "developing hurricane force winds" on Sunday, when the ship was predicted to be past the storm) was to keep to the northwest quadrant of the storm (between the storm center and the US coastline) as this quadrant has some of the lowest wind speeds in a cyclonic storm (the wind is blowing south in this quadrant, and the storm is moving north, so the speed of advance is subtracted from the wind speed:  for example, a storm with 100mph winds moving at 10 mph, has winds of 110mph in the northeast quadrant, but only 90mph in the northwest quadrant).  The first official warning of actual hurricane force winds (64-75mph) was issued at 3:45 Saturday, shortly before the Anthem sailed.

Skirting the northwest quadrant of a storm is a common practice, and other ships, just not cruise ships, so no one mentioned them, were out there doing the same course (or the reciprocal) as the Anthem.

Thanks for the explanation Chief.

• Like 1

I understand that this side of the storm has the lowest wind speed.  I remember when the ship left thinking to myself what is that captain thinking putting that ship and 6,000+ lives on a path with no escape when the weather forecast all were talking about the storm increasing in force.

Looking back it seamed the cruise line/industry as a whole was taking too many risk not avoiding storms back then.

I am glad they are being much more cautious now.

Edited by fred30

45 minutes ago, fred30 said:

I understand that this side of the storm has the lowest wind speed.  I remember when the ship left thinking to myself what is that captain thinking putting that ship and 6,000+ lives on a path with no escape when the weather forecast all were talking about the storm increasing in force.

Looking back it seamed the cruise line/industry as a whole was taking too many risk not avoiding storms back then.

I am glad they are being much more cautious now.

Tell me what "escape" there is, even if you put the storm between the ship and the coast.  The ship only moves slightly faster than a normal storm does, so there is no "feet don't fail me now" sudden acceleration to get out of a situation that might develop some time in the future.  Also, in the northeast quadrant, even if you accepted the higher winds, the seas would be either perpendicular or opposite to the course creating the worst ride, and slowest speed of advance.  As you scoot down the northwest quadrant, you get following seas and winds, helping to get you past the storm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Tell me what "escape" there is, even if you put the storm between the ship and the coast.  The ship only moves slightly faster than a normal storm does, so there is no "feet don't fail me now" sudden acceleration to get out of a situation that might develop some time in the future.  Also, in the northeast quadrant, even if you accepted the higher winds, the seas would be either perpendicular or opposite to the course creating the worst ride, and slowest speed of advance.  As you scoot down the northwest quadrant, you get following seas and winds, helping to get you past the storm.

So in a case like this, where cancelling the cruise is an option, does the Captain decide to cancel, or is that a corporate decision?

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Exactly, there is no escape in this case.    Looking back the best option would have been to stay in port if possible.   Hopefully by looking back over past decisions better decisions can and will be made in the future. 

Cruisers need to understand that significant changes can and should happen when faced with possible dangerous situations.

It currently seems like RC is trying to be more cautious now.  There is too much at stake if it is just left to chance.

Edited by fred30

54 minutes ago, itsmeagain said:

Looks like they may be inspecting Port Canaveral, on the part camera their is a small boat going back and forth across the channel. 

Marine tracffic says it’s pilot boat 3. 

Yeah I've just been watching that too, promising for an early check in tomorrow , yay !

8 minutes ago, itsmeagain said:

Port Canaveral is open for business.   Cruise and parking are open.

pack your bags.

I heard the gangway will be open at 9a tomorrow from my source on Harmony!

Edited by tface023

6 minutes ago, SilentChill said:

How good is your source ?? That will be nearly like an extra day if we can get on that early 

He works on board and just had a staff meeting. That’s what he was told. 

Although when I asked for clarification, he said “10 to be sure”

8 hours ago, buckeye rob said:

Hoping everything is okay at home and you can do your delayed September 1st trip today.  Maybe we can wave getting on Sunday as you are departing. lol.  Regards, Gerry.

Hi Gerry,

The hurricane past us early this morning. No damage. So we left at 10:00 AM and was eating lunch in the Coastal Kitchen at 1:00 PM. Should be walking off with the Concierges around 7:45 AM. Probably before you will be boarding. Have a great time on your cruise.

John

Just now, SilentChill said:

Ok thanks we were planning on getting there for around 0930 all's good

I’m hoping to as well, but the company I booked my transfer through has been closed for the storm. I’m hoping I’ll have a ride!

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

So in a case like this, where cancelling the cruise is an option, does the Captain decide to cancel, or is that a corporate decision?

Difficult to say without knowing RCI's ISM procedures.  I would say that this was a corporate decision, but if they had said to sail, and the Captain said no, he has "overriding authority" to make decisions regarding the safety of the ship, crew, passengers and environment, and the company cannot override his decision.

1 hour ago, fred30 said:

Exactly, there is no escape in this case.    Looking back the best option would have been to stay in port if possible.   Hopefully by looking back over past decisions better decisions can and will be made in the future. 

Cruisers need to understand that significant changes can and should happen when faced with possible dangerous situations.

It currently seems like RC is trying to be more cautious now.  There is too much at stake if it is just left to chance.

Apples and oranges.  Anthem was sailing into a storm that had the potential to become a hurricane, while Dorian has been a hurricane for over a week, and a high category one for days.  Staying in port is not always the best option, depending on the storm's predicted path.  These decisions are not left to "chance" any more than the weather forecasts are based on chance.  Anthem's Captain made his decision, in compliance with the company's ISM document, and using the best information available.  Whether RCI's ISM was modified after the Anthem storm, I can't say, but all decisions are based on these documents that combine statutory regulations with industry best practices.

• Like 2

Am I remembering correctly that sometimes ships must leave a port as it is being closed?  I think I heard that in really rough weather, i.e., hurricane,  the ship can be pushed into a dock.  I know that the newer ships are big, but...

58 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Difficult to say without knowing RCI's ISM procedures.  I would say that this was a corporate decision, but if they had said to sail, and the Captain said no, he has "overriding authority" to make decisions regarding the safety of the ship, crew, passengers and environment, and the company cannot override his decision. ...

Obviously I'm speaking from hindsight which is not fair to those who had to make the actual decisions, but was one option to cancel and take the ship to sea without passengers?  I know they don't like the ship to be in port during bad weather.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Am I remembering correctly that sometimes ships must leave a port as it is being closed?  I think I heard that in really rough weather, i.e., hurricane,  the ship can be pushed into a dock.  I know that the newer ships are big, but...

Bigger the ship, the more "sail area", so more susceptible to wind damage at a pier.  Broken mooring lines and drifting into other piers (Carnival Triumph), or pounding against the dock can cause damage, and there will be wind heel (listing), which was the cause of the Pride of America sinking in the shipyard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Obviously I'm speaking from hindsight which is not fair to those who had to make the actual decisions, but was one option to cancel and take the ship to sea without passengers?  I know they don't like the ship to be in port during bad weather.

I just joined the thread when you asked me, so I'm not fully up on which circumstances you are referring to.  But, yes, they could sail with no pax, again it all depends on the expected track in relation to the port the ship is in, and the course the ship would take to get clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Not bad!  We were out of power in Bradenton for two days from Irma.

We were without power and water for over 2 weeks after hurricane Michael hit us last Oct.  No landline or Verizon phone service  or internet for months.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Perhaps I might have missed the thread, but was there anything posted about the effects of hurricane Dorian at CocoCay or did it spare that location?

There were a few pics posted which made it seem like the location was spared - won't know for sure for a couple of more days.

• Like 2