Hurricane Dorian talk

21 minutes ago, logan25 said:

Empress is parked at Nassau this morning, along with Majesty.

And Disney Fantasy and Harmony is backing in to its berth at this moment.   Normal port of call for these ships today although Empress might have brought some Bahamians to Nassau from Freeport as part of the relief effort.

Edited by Tagsalong

Since we are spending the summer up here in "Downeast" Maine...we were pretty much already evacuated from Central Florida coast home.  😉 Luckily, from reports of neighbors, we were also spared damage. 

Now...sigh...we had to cancel our travel plans for tomorrow to head down to Bar Harbor area for two weeks, which we will delay now until Sunday.  Guess why?  Dorian will be just outside our coast up here tomorrow.  Bringing some strong wind gusts and rain for the day, but moving pretty fast.  Watch out Nova Scotia!  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, emdia43 said:

James van Fleet tweeted photos 2 days ago, which showed Coco Cay sustained no damage, not even vegetation. They were checking just to see when their Bahamian employees were going to be able to get back to work.  

I think the photos were from their webcam.  They really didn't know the damage until they got back onto the island.

From Royal Caribbean's website today: 

• We closed CocoCay on Wednesday, August 28th, 2019, and had originally planned to reopen it on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019. However, as the majority of the Bahamas has been impacted, our team of experts were assessing the island to evaluate the extent of the damage. While CocoCay was somewhat spared from Hurricane Dorian's destruction and we did not have any major damage, the storm left behind debris, washed away some of our sand and bricks, and took down many of our trees. We started working on repairs as quickly as possible, but we kindly ask that "you mind our dust" or sand, as we continue our own recovery efforts. CocoCay will be up and running on Saturday, September 7th, 2019.

3 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

I believe the previous poster was referring to the IG post about Bahamas Paradise cruise line that is evacuating Bahamians to the US if they wish to go and have their passports or BC's.  The IG post also refers to transporting Bahamians back from Florida that had left due to the coming hurricane. 

We've been told that the Majesty will stop in Grand Bahama on Monday, 9/9, instead of cruising, to assist in the relief efforts.  They did not say for how long, but we are scheduled to dock in Nassau on Tuesday anyway.

1 hour ago, BixBebe said:

We’re preparing in NS now. Long lines for propane, liquor and most storm chips are sold out!

I just saw this picture of a Halifax Costco - looks like no way Dorian will be turning away so here's wishing you the best of luck with minimal after storm problems! 

Halifax.jpg

• Like 2

Dorian just roared back to a Cat 2 as it approaches Halifax. 😩 I might have to dip into my storm chips (and rum) early! I hear all cruise ships have diverted from planned stops here Saturday and Sunday. Probably very wise. This one just won’t quit. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BixBebe said:

Dorian just roared back to a Cat 2 as it approaches Halifax. 😩 I might have to dip into my storm chips (and rum) early! I hear all cruise ships have diverted from planned stops here Saturday and Sunday. Probably very wise. This one just won’t quit. 

We really lucked out in FL. Be careful!  Every weather board I follow has bad predictions with this one for NS. Most have comments like these:

If Dorian does hit Nova Scotia with the forecast intensity, it could be the worst hurricane on record for Atlantic Canada

Forecast to hit category two again upon approach to Nova Scotia, yikes. That's going to be a much worse hit than it seemed like it was gonna be.

The last Category 2 hurricane landfall in Nova Scotia was Juan in 2003. FTR, the locals around Halifax still talk about how bad the damage was from Juan and Dorian is forecast to make landfall at a similar intensity.

Juan had an unusual track, hitting the south coast of NS on almost a due northerly track from Bermuda, so surge was only an issue on its eastern half. Dorian will be coming from the SW and if it hits the western side of NS it will bring surge to the entire southern coast so it could very well be worse.

They are also talking about watching waves coming off Africa that could become Humberto and Imelda - hopefully they will go to sea and not hit FL- OR NS! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Category 5 Hurricane 

20190902_180302.thumb.jpg.23665b2aece7f5e999fa84cd5739aca0.jpg

I was going to post our hurricane stash, but I got sidetracked. We were definitely ready. We have friends and their collection puts us to shame. If you ever want to do a rum tasting before a cruise just let us know ahead of time. We're about 5 miles from the port. The pictures don't even show all of it and the boxes are full. 🙀

Had Mike known I was going to post some pictures of the 2 bars he probably would have picked up a little and dusted some of them off.

Tiki bar downstairs.

20190906_192012.jpg

20190906_191500.jpg

To much overflow so now there is a bar upstairs.

20190906_185142.jpg

20190906_185241.jpg

20190906_191225.jpg

20190906_190445.jpg

20190906_191500.jpg

20190906_190445.jpg

One of our 3 bartenders asleep while on duty. 

20171001_190048.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

We really lucked out in FL. Be careful!  Every weather board I follow has bad predictions with this one for NS. Most have comments like these:

If Dorian does hit Nova Scotia with the forecast intensity, it could be the worst hurricane on record for Atlantic Canada

Forecast to hit category two again upon approach to Nova Scotia, yikes. That's going to be a much worse hit than it seemed like it was gonna be.

The last Category 2 hurricane landfall in Nova Scotia was Juan in 2003. FTR, the locals around Halifax still talk about how bad the damage was from Juan and Dorian is forecast to make landfall at a similar intensity.

Juan had an unusual track, hitting the south coast of NS on almost a due northerly track from Bermuda, so surge was only an issue on its eastern half. Dorian will be coming from the SW and if it hits the western side of NS it will bring surge to the entire southern coast so it could very well be worse.

They are also talking about watching waves coming off Africa that could become Humberto and Imelda - hopefully they will go to sea and not hit FL- OR NS! :classic_laugh:

We are in SC north of Myrtle Beach and just south of the NC border.  Dorian was heading straight for us but took a right so it wasn't too bad.  A few tornados touched down early Thursday morning with some damage but nowhere near what it could be.  Things seem to be just about back to normal today here.  Hoping the trend continues as Dorian moves north, thinking about you all, stay safe and hope this is the worst of the hurricane season this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I was going to post our hurricane stash, but I got sidetracked. We were definitely ready. We have friends and their collection puts us to shame. If you ever want to do a rum tasting before a cruise just let us know ahead of time. We're about 5 miles from the port. The pictures don't even show all of it and the boxes are full. 🙀

Had Mike known I was going to post some pictures of the 2 bars he probably would have picked up a little and dusted some of them off.

Tiki bar downstairs.

20190906_192012.jpg

20190906_191500.jpg

To much overflow so now there is a bar upstairs.

20190906_185142.jpg

20190906_185241.jpg

20190906_191225.jpg

20190906_190445.jpg

20190906_191500.jpg

20190906_190445.jpg

One of our 3 bartenders asleep while on duty. 

20171001_190048.jpg

Someone was obviously a sailor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

We are in SC north of Myrtle Beach and just south of the NC border.  Dorian was heading straight for us but took a right so it wasn't too bad.  A few tornados touched down early Thursday morning with some damage but nowhere near what it could be.  Things seem to be just about back to normal today here.  Hoping the trend continues as Dorian moves north, thinking about you all, stay safe and hope this is the worst of the hurricane season this year.

Do you own a red jeep?

• Haha 4

On 9/5/2019 at 5:25 AM, Host Star said:

several years ago just prior to a storm the barefoot windjammer cruise brought the passengers in... dropped them off and went back out to sea only to be lost at sea... the decision was that the ship would be safer at sea than at the dock.. all crew was lost in that storm

@Host Star

Host Star! Nice to hear from you and your comment. Do you suppose that you could delete your introduction sticky from the Royal Caribbean board? You probably forgot about it. 

You posted your intro last January. We haven't heard much from you. And now with the giant blue box, the stickies just make the limited page size worse. We would all really appreciate you removing kind of a useless sticky. 

Thanks so much! We all look forward to more posts and fewer stickies.