Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
xostacylee

Buying Cruise Insurance After Final Payment

Is this an option?

I've tried searching Carnival's site but it's sending me to Australian pages. Searched here and see a lot of posts on insurance, just not info on purchasing after final payment.

Thank you in advance!

Most everyone will tell you to go to a third party to purchase insurance, not Carnival. If you search this board you will find threads on that to look at. I know several people have recommended insuremytrip.com. I have used Travel Insured through USAA. You would need to go to the individual 3rd party site to check rules. Often, a lot of things will not be covered too close to the date of your cruise because it will appear suspect to an insurer that you did not buy insurance until the last minute - like there is something that suddenly came up. Or, they won't cover pre-existing. Each company may be different.

Posted (edited)

You can buy it the day before you travel if you want! Be aware that there are several waivers (like pre-existing condition waivers) that usually do not get added to the policy unless you buy it soon after you make the first booking for your trip. Each insurer and policy differs so be sure to read the fine print.

And yes, do not buy through the cruise line or the airline or anything. Buy through a third party insurer. If you have a Costco membership, their vendor usually offers the best rate in my experience.

Edited by chui101

Yes, the best time to buy is within 2 or 3 weeks of your initial booking to avoid pre-existing conditions, etc..  But I'd still recommend you buy some if only for the medical and evacuation coverage.  We never use Carnival, but go to insuremytrip.com.  They will give you a quote from several different carriers and you can compare the cost and coverage of several plans.

Also, not sure when you are cruising, but since TS Dorian is now a named storm, I seriously doubt anyone would insure for cruises affected by her.