Cruise Critic Community
Garavar

Muster Changes?

Sailed on Serenity 5-6 times and only Symphony once. Everytime we sailed they made us bring our life jackets and had the muster drill inside movie theatre or lounge.

Boarded Symphony today and we were told muster would be outside and don't bring your life jackets. Is this new? Or a Symphony only policy that I managed to block out last trip?

It's a new policy. We were outside without our jackets the last two times; in April and then again in July.

3 minutes ago, AtA said:

It's a new policy. We were outside without our jackets the last two times; in April and then again in July.

Por que? I liked the old way better. Who likes standing?

7 minutes ago, Garavar said:

Symphony muster stations have always been outdoors on Deck 7 under the lifeboats. In an emergency, boarding would be from Deck 7.

Serenity muster stations have always been inside, in various public areas on Deck 6. In an emergency, boarding would be from Deck 6.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Garavar said:

I think you are confusing your experiences on Serenity with those on Symphony

Unless it’s inclement weather the Symphony muster drill is always outside under the relevant life boat

It’s only the elimination of wearing your life vest that has been dropped over the last year or so 

I too hate standing in the sun on Symphony’s decks but I prefer that the safety drill is undertaken so it would help in the case of an emergency 

Edited by Stickman1990

I don't remember going outside for Muster at all on Symphony. As I said I only went once but I feel like I would have remembered that. Was/is there maybe some stations that are in doors on Symphony?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Garavar said:

I don't remember going outside for Muster at all on Symphony. As I said I only went once but I feel like I would have remembered that. Was/is there maybe some stations that are in doors on Symphony?

We have sailed Symphony many times since 1995. Muster drill has always been outside. Officers make sure no one is blocking any of the doorways during muster drill. Some lifeboats are lower/closer to the deck than others; perhaps that over-hanging shade/cover from a lifeboat is in your memory's eye...

Edited by ryndam

14 minutes ago, Garavar said:

No muster stations indoors on Symphony

If it was bad weather during the drill then they do have muster stations indoors - I remember one time we were in the Cove (without drinks) 

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

If it was bad weather during the drill then they do have muster stations indoors - I remember one time we were in the Cove (without drinks) 

I did not know that. I guess we've never experienced really bad weather during a Symphony muster drill. 

1 minute ago, ryndam said:

I did not know that. I guess we've never experienced really bad weather during a Symphony muster drill. 

I’m desperately trying to recall where it was - it may have been in Sydney during one of our lovely summer thunderstorms - back in February 2014 - you don’t want that lightening to get you 🙂 

Yikes, maybe it was bad weather or I completely blocked out the outside muster.

We have 3 segments in November on Symphony will we have to Muster 3 times.

If you are in transit you don’t have to muster multiple times, just the first time, after that you are free to sit it out. 

No life jacket required? Must be because so many of us women complained that the new life jackets are too tight and choking us when done up, Hallelujah!

Most cruise lines no longer require taking life jackets to muster.  I believe that the consensus was the danger of falls from trailing straps outweighed the benefit of having the jacket with you.  If you want to practice putting on the jacket your stewardess will always help you.

The musters are different on the 2 ships because the relevant layout of the ships is so different. Standing on deck 7 above the boats on the serenity makes no sense.  Deck 7 on the Symphony is all cabins so indoor muster areas would need to be either on deck 10 or a deck or 2 below the boats. 

The one time I remember an indoor muster drill on the Symphony was during a raging thunderstorm.  They stationed crew outside the boats for an hour the next morning so people could check out their actual boat location if they wanted to.

Roy

Funny I too remember back in 2015 when we were on the Symphony and having the muster indoors. Or maybe my memory is failing me? Or maybe since it was from Amsterdam, it was raining?

A few things.

Each ship eliminated bringing the life jackets to the drill on their respective first voyages of 2019.  This was to prevent some issues such as guests who were having trouble seeing over the lifeboat vest when walking up and down the stairwells and to prevent anyone from tripping from the cord that you pull to tighten or loosen the vest.  On Symphony I suppose it had the added benefit of not having to wear it when the weather is very hot outside.

As some have mentioned,  Serenity is always indoors and Symphony is always outdoors unless as Terry mentioned there is very bad weather and the Symphony one is held indoors.  Maybe there was some other type of exception on Symphony but that certainly has not been our experience when they were outdoors except one time when we had very bad weather.

On Serenity if there was a real issue guests would go to the muster stations  inside and on Symphony outside which is why they conduct the drills in this manner.

As to back to back cruises all of this is up to the Captain as to whether or not guests will attend multiple ones.  The odds are you will only attend one but there are times when they are repeated either because they choose to have mandatory attendance monthly (sometimes they do and other times they do not) or because of some issue.  I am reminded that a couple of times when  we have been on board over the years when there was some type of issue related to the sinking of another cruise ship either close to where we were sailing (one time in Greece) or in the case of Costa Concordia where we had an additional one that was mandatory for everyone.

Keith

I wish I was that lucky!  I’ve had to stand in the rain at least three times during Symphony muster drills.  It was just rain and no lightning though — I can imagine in more severe storms the plan would have been different.

Vince

In your opinion when would the drill take place on the 10/25/19 symphony cruise from NOLA.With the overnight, we would like have dinner and spend most of the night in NOLA Thanks Ed

4 minutes ago, eby said:

In your opinion when would the drill take place on the 10/25/19 symphony cruise from NOLA.With the overnight, we would like have dinner and spend most of the night in NOLA Thanks Ed

Thr muster drill will take place on your second day.  Not sure what time it will be as I don't know what time you depart.  If you have a 5pm departure, the drill would likely take place at 4:15

Nancy

13 minutes ago, nancygp said:

We leave at 5AM on the 26.Would they have drill after we set sail?

Thr muster drill will take place on your second day.  Not sure what time it will be as I don't know what time you depart.  If you have a 5pm departure, the drill would likely take place at 4:15

Nancy

8 minutes ago, eby said:

We leave at 5AM on the 26.Would they have drill after we set sail?

Unlikely they will have it after you sail - very much a pre-departure thing 

If you’re leaving at 5am they will hold the muster the evening before 

I have been in this situation before.  Muster drill with a 5:00 AM sailing will most likely be held the first day and most likely 5:15 PM so not to interfere with dinner on the day of embarkations.  This varies by Captain but I have seen where they have a second Muster for just those who missed the first one later the evening on the first day of embarkation the past few years including this year.

Before the sinking of the Costa Concordia from time-to-time they would have the drill on the second day as that was permitted. However, this changed after that catastrophe (internal Crystal decision) and they hold the drills before the ship leaves port.

Keith

“I’ve had to stand in the rain at least three times during Symphony muster drills.  It was just rain and no lightning”

Sods Law states that if it does go wrong and a muster is required then it will probably be  in vile weather😀 

Consider it a dress rehearsal ! 

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

“I’ve had to stand in the rain at least three times during Symphony muster drills.  It was just rain and no lightning”

Sods Law states that if it does go wrong and a muster is required then it will probably be  in vile weather😀 

Consider it a dress rehearsal ! 

Great minds think alike -- I actually typed out something VERY similar and edited it out because I didn't want to say something that dark so early in the morning...  But that's so true!  We don't get to pick what kind of weather we have an emergency in, and sometimes the weather is a factor in the timing itself.  It's a good drill.

Vince

Well if you want to play in the rain good luck to you but I certainly wouldn’t appreciate being asked to stand in the rain for 20 minutes during a muster drill 

Sure we won’t get to choose the weather conditions for a real evacuation but don’t you think it’s rather pointless to expose 800+ people to standing out in a storm when other options exist for a safety briefing?

On the other end of the spectrum to rain and storms was a muster drill we had in Melbourne on Symphony when It was 35C (95F) and the side of the ship we were on was in direct sunlight. It was a very long 20 minutes and I felt for the more elderly people who were literally wilting standing in the heat and sun!