Scent of shower gel?

cat shepard

Has anyone who suffers from allergies had a problem with the scent of the supplied shower gel? I usually have a problem with strong floral or chemical smells. My search identified that Elemis products are often supplied, and some of their products bother me.

I suspect I do not have to worry about floral smells, but I will pack my own soap, if necessary.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I have allergies and sensitivities to scents but don’t have a problem with the shower gel.  I find the lotion, however, way too strong so I bring my own unscented.  Having said that, we all react differently so YMMV.

15 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I have allergies and sensitivities to scents but don’t have a problem with the shower gel.  I find the lotion, however, way too strong so I bring my own unscented.  Having said that, we all react differently so YMMV.

Thank you. I may try their shower gel, but bring a small backup bar of soap.

I can always pick up something when I get to my first port - if needed.

HAL originally supplied Elemis products in the cabin bathrooms.

Then they went into cost-cutting mode.

The dispensers and containers still say "Elemis".

The supplier is the same company that manufactures Elemis products, but they make a cheaper version for HAL.

The quality and smell are not quite the same as the real Elemis products.

I don't care for most shower gel and much prefer bar soap  My late Dh used  the shower gel and  I never smelled a strong scent from the gel on hit.  He liked citrus aromas ..   lemon,  lime.  Had it been floral he would not have liked or used  it

image.png.a7bba3a51fa8c029513002b7b7194ec1.png

19 minutes ago, Donald said:

HAL originally supplied Elemis products in the cabin bathrooms.

Then they went into cost-cutting mode.

The dispensers and containers still say "Elemis".

Donald:    supplier is the same company that manufactures Elemis products, but they make a cheaper version for HAL.  [/quote]

sail 7 seas   :   Please pardon  me for asking but,        How   do you know that to be true? [/quote]

The quality and smell are not quite the same as the real Elemis products.

Seriously, when did HAL switch to a 'lesser' product in place of Elemis?  I used the shampoo and  bar soap in May and did not  notice  it being any different than when HAL first  began providing it to  guests in early, 2006 and all the years since.

Did someone confirm for you they are providing   a different product now?

image.png.6eddd9a48e871059dc354713793ad6d9.png

Edited by sail7seas

HAL switched quality and cost on Elemis in 2012, when I was working on Oosterdam.

When they delivered the new Elemis products (mostly in new bulk containers) we noticed the packaging and smell had changed significantly. Then we looked at the invoices and noticed the cost was much lower.

We first assumed it was an error in delivery.

But when we contacted Seattle, they admitted it was a cost-cutting measure.

"Carnivalization"

• Thanks 1

I find most companies change their product formulas after I have grown to like them. I can’t tell you the number of times I have stopped using a product simply because they changed what goes into them.

With regard to the bulk containers... I much prefer that to the small bottles which are not good for the environment.  (And a pain in the butt to get out.)

11 minutes ago, Donald said:

HAL switched quality and cost on Elemis in 2012, when I was working on Oosterdam.

When they delivered the new Elemis products (mostly in new bulk containers) we noticed the packaging and smell had changed significantly. Then we looked at the invoices and noticed the cost was much lower.

We first assumed it was an error in delivery.

But when we contacted Seattle, they admitted it was a cost-cutting measure.

"Carnivalization"

Thank you for   responding.   Though  I have loads of days on HAL   since 2012 in all honesty  have not noticed a change in  the product since they went to the wall dispensers vs.  the small individually  bottled products   

I think it would be a hoot to know if any guests even suspected  that ' cut back'   Certainly for anyone reading this  thread  who claims  to have known,   to now say so,now   well,,,,,,,,,,   credibility and all that.  🙂 

image.png.a990cf4305e75e615907942a5f293d0b.png

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Has anyone who suffers from allergies had a problem with the scent of the supplied shower gel? I usually have a problem with strong floral or chemical smells. My search identified that Elemis products are often supplied, and some of their products bother me.

I suspect I do not have to worry about floral smells, but I will pack my own soap, if necessary.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I like the shower gel it has a light, citrus smell and it doesn't bother me at or.  Same with the shampoo and conditioner which I use from time to time.  The Elemis lotion has changed, however, and has a rather strong smell that I don't like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

My perception is that the lotion definitely smells different.  The shampoo smells the same.  I honestly don’t recall there being shower gel before the dispensers.  I thought it was bar soap only.

I use the shampoo and bar soap but never liked or used  the bath gel except for a bubble bath but not in the shower    and never used conditioner

Such a  to do about  bath products.     🤣

image.png.f680cd917526a2427f89ca78f0297a57.png

They have switched to the ‘revitalise me’ range of products I noticed on my last sailing. Still Elemis just a different scent and unsurprisingly a cheaper ml for ml value. Previously the shower gel was sharp shower ( my favourite) and they had skin nourishing body lotion which is creamier and less scented. I use Elemis a lot so I’m pretty well versed in their products ... 

• Thanks 1

Since my first HAL cruise over 12 years ago, I have avoided the Elemis products.  I have sensitive skin and developed a nasty rash from the shower gel. 

I find the smells of all of the products to be very strong and overpowering, too, so I always pack my own shampoo, soap, and lotion.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Lovely other said:

They have switched to the ‘revitalise me’ range of products I noticed on my last sailing. Still Elemis just a different scent and unsurprisingly a cheaper ml for ml value. Previously the shower gel was sharp shower ( my favourite) and they had skin nourishing body lotion which is creamier and less scented. I use Elemis a lot so I’m pretty well versed in their products ... 

I did not like the Elemis products on HAL in the past. If they've gone to a different scent, I'll give it another try. But I'll still travel with my own soaps etc because I never know what's going to irritate my skin.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't use the shower gel or moisturizer on the 2019 WC on the Amsterdam. The smell of the moisturizer was too strong for me (I prefer unscented products). The shower gel actually stung my skin. I had no problems using the bar soap they supplied. I used my own shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer.

• Thanks 1

Since cruising with HAL back in 2006, I have never liked Ellis products! The shampoo is harsh and the shower conditioner dose nothing for my curly hair!

So I bring my own! I do believe their product could have changed when it went to dispensers. My husband noticed the smell was different!

I love Philosophy forever and They too decided to change their conditioner product and my hair was different!

So I do believe companies do cost cutting on their products!

Denise😊

• Thanks 1