Cruise Critic Community
seasidemama

Looking for Info on Explorer of the Seas

Booked a 5 night in January, Labadee/Nassau.  Price was right and dates fit.  Any recent cruisers with information as to Adventure Ocean, Pools, any kid specific pool areas, other Kids activities and general condition of the ship. I know it has the flowrider but my kids (6/8) didn't love it so much. I've read some negative reviews that the ship is somewhat worn and will be cruising pre-amp...  We're in a balcony so the view should be good and all I really need is a balcony and a glass of wine but worried about the kids being less excited as we just got off the Navigator and they completely fell in love with it..

THANKS!

I was on Explorer in March. There are two pools - one Adults only, and one for everyone. The pool area is not particularly child friendly as there is no shallow end where a child of 6 (like my, tall for his age, son) can stand with head above water.  There are the shallow wading entries on either side that they could sit and splash in.  There are no Splashaway Bay type areas. One side of the pool area is a write off as its the smoking area.

There is the mini Golf area and rock climbing wall, plus basketball/soccer/sports area. There is also the Arcade area if you want to spend alot of money!  There is also the Ice Skating.

My son went to Adventure Ocean a couple of times but he didn't love it. He mainly went into the young kids area to keep company with the other child we were travelling with. The 6+ area looked like they had more fun activities. Your kids might enjoy it more having each other and being in the 6+ area.

General condition of the ship was fine. I didn't feel like it was worn/aged at all. I think you would have to go looking for that and actively take a negative aspect to all areas of the ship to have the condition of the ship impact your holiday.

Its not a massive ship but as long as you don't have a huge number of sea days, there is plenty to do.

Hope you have a great holiday.

6 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Booked a 5 night in January, Labadee/Nassau.  Price was right and dates fit.  Any recent cruisers with information as to Adventure Ocean, Pools, any kid specific pool areas, other Kids activities and general condition of the ship. I know it has the flowrider but my kids (6/8) didn't love it so much. I've read some negative reviews that the ship is somewhat worn and will be cruising pre-amp...  We're in a balcony so the view should be good and all I really need is a balcony and a glass of wine but worried about the kids being less excited as we just got off the Navigator and they completely fell in love with it..

THANKS!

Good start on Explorer info here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?type=forums_topic&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&nodes=51&q=explorer

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks for this. I did search the forum but it seems most posts are either old or discuss the scheduled amplification next year.

if it’s anything like the navigator post amp it will be fabulous!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, M-H-B said:

I was on Explorer in March. There are two pools - one Adults only, and one for everyone. The pool area is not particularly child friendly as there is no shallow end where a child of 6 (like my, tall for his age, son) can stand with head above water.  There are the shallow wading entries on either side that they could sit and splash in.  There are no Splashaway Bay type areas. One side of the pool area is a write off as its the smoking area.

There is the mini Golf area and rock climbing wall, plus basketball/soccer/sports area. There is also the Arcade area if you want to spend alot of money!  There is also the Ice Skating.

My son went to Adventure Ocean a couple of times but he didn't love it. He mainly went into the young kids area to keep company with the other child we were travelling with. The 6+ area looked like they had more fun activities. Your kids might enjoy it more having each other and being in the 6+ area.

General condition of the ship was fine. I didn't feel like it was worn/aged at all. I think you would have to go looking for that and actively take a negative aspect to all areas of the ship to have the condition of the ship impact your holiday.

Its not a massive ship but as long as you don't have a huge number of sea days, there is plenty to do.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Thanks for all the details.  Do you remember if there were any game consoles or foosball in adventure ocean for the 6-9 age group?  I’m selfishly trying to figure out how likely my kids are going to look forward to spending 2 hours a night there so that mommy can have some adult time... 😉

On the Navigator the club was amazing, not broken up into age groups and we dropped the kids off every night between 10-12. They liked the fact that the “night party “ didn’t have any mandatory activities and they could just hang out, play foosball, xbox or do some art on their own schedule.

Edited by seasidemama

@seasidemama unfortunately I don’t think the 6+ area has any consoles, that I saw anyway. The teen area does though so possibly the younger groups get some allocated time.  Maybe someone else will jump in and confirm.

I totally get the need for some adult time! Good luck  

We were on her July 21st - August 4th this year. While agreeing that that dry dock and amping will boost the ship, she's in pretty good shape. Loads of new sunloungers on board a couple of months ago, and hundreds of new mattresses brought on while we were aboard.

Slightly worn here and there (seats in the Star lounge, for example) but nothing to get fussed about.

Food very good ( we ate in MDR, Chops and Johnny Rockets, plus snacks from Windjammer and Cafe Promenade).

Staff friendly, smiling and helpful.