Bumped from your cruise.

We are supposed to be sailing on Saturday 31.08.19.

People are being rung by Royal asking them if they are willing to take a later cruise. 

Just wondering how usual this is.

At the moment, it appears to be those who have booked Direct and booked a Guarenteed cabin.

I have read on Social Media that many people have been rung and one has actually been told that they have no room for them and that Guaranteed does not have the same meaning as in the UK.

Really??

We were still be invited to ‘Royal Up’ as late as last week. The cheapest offer for us was £65 p.p for a Superior balcony, but as we are pensioners, I’m not paying more money to Royal, so it does sound as if there are cabins available, even though Royal are saying the ship is full.

For good PR,  Royal should be upgrading passengers for free, as they used to.

They have become greedy.

https://www.cruisehabit.com/just-airlines-cruise-lines-overbook-–-and-it’s-nothing-new

• Like 1

My parents are on your cruise, they booked direct, (a suite guarantee which has been assigned for months) and have not been called. 

What are they offering you to change? I've read threads like this in the past where people have been willing to change cruises and have negotiated themselves a good deal. 

I don't think it means anything that they were offering 'Royal Up', they seem to do this even on sold out ships in case of any last minute cancellations.

Fortunately we haven’t been rung, but people are saying refund and future cruise certificate. At first they were offering Independence of the Seas for 26.09 or 11.10.19.

We have an assigned cabin ( we choose it) and also booked through a TA. 

It seems that’s its people who have booked direct who are being contacted. No one has been called by a TA.

Yes, Explorer from Southampton.

Now passengers are being contacted by their Travel Agents.😪

This seems to be a huge mess up by Royal? No one knows how any cabins they are short of, but many many people have been contacted.

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

No one knows how any cabins they are short of, but many many people have been contacted.

Many are probably saying no to the low compensation offers, so RCI needs to find others who they can low-ball.

2 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Yes, Explorer from Southampton.

Now passengers are being contacted by their Travel Agents.😪

This seems to be a huge mess up by Royal? No one knows how any cabins they are short of, but many many people have been contacted.

I wonder if this mixup has anything to do with Royal's processing of guarantee staterooms.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I wonder if this mixup has anything to do with Royal's processing of guarantee staterooms.

Initially all had booked direct and had booked Guarantee.

One couple were told Guarantee has a different meaning in the UK??

• Like 1

I have only received one bump call out of about 130 cruises over 40 years.  It was from HAL back in 1996.  Full refund, rebooked on a different ship 2 weeks later for port taxes only with upgrade.

If there is more than just a few cabins involved, it may be an issue with a block of cabins being unusable due to some sort of problem as someone suggested.

As for Guarantee having a different meaning in the UK.... that sounds like an agent that does not know what they are doing. 

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

We were voluntarily bumped from Nordic Prince NY to Bermuda in Sept. 1992.  RCCL refunded all our money and re-booked us a couple weeks later; we only paid port charges ($89 at the time) for the new sailing.

Nordic Prince was the first cruise we ever took.  I have such fond memories of that cruise out of New York to Bermuda.  

Let's find a common denominator.

So far we have people who booked Guarantees,,, then they started with people who booked direct and then started ringing up people who booked with a travel agency.

What's the next common denominator? Is everyone reporting this from the UK?

If so, maybe it IS a UK thing and it has something to do with contractual terms and conditions when booking a Guarantee.

12 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

What's the next common denominator? Is everyone reporting this from the UK?

If so, maybe it IS a UK thing and it has something to do with contractual terms and conditions when booking a Guarantee.

Umm... less likely to also have to refund airfare maybe...

Edited by snowglobe

I think living close to the port has a different perception in U.S; one passenger who was bumped as he had booked Guarantee and they had no cabin for them, lived 200 miles away.😱

He didn't consider that to be close to the port.

Passengers who are worried, are ringing Royal to be told that providing they have a cabin number they are OK.

I also think that this is something to do with 'Royal Up.'

I was still being sent e mails as late as last weekend, inviting us to pay between £65 p.p for a Superior Balcony to £2300 p.p for a suite. So it seems that there were rooms available. I live on a pension, so wasn't paying out any more money and I am quite happy with the position of the cabin that I choose. 

Did people get bumped when the upgrade fairy was at work? Wouldn't Royal just have upgraded Balcony passengers to a suite, insides to a balcony, to make room for the Guarantee passengers to occupy insides?

Edited by upwarduk

Did you hear of anyone winning their Royal Up bid? I believe they offer these even when they are not available, earlier in the year we were on a sold out cruise on Indy but were sent the emails several times. We didn't bid but lots of people on our roll call and on FB did and no one got accepted.

Have people been forced off the cruise or have they agreed to take the compensation? If I were offered a refund plus a future cruise credit on a cruise from Southampton I may well take it(and I live further than 200 miles away!).

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I think living close to the port has a different perception in U.S; one passenger who was bumped as he had booked Guarantee and they had no cabin for them, lived 200 miles away.😱

He didn't consider that to be close to the port.

Maybe distance from port has nothing to do with this passenger being bumped. Maybe it has to do with age.  RC maybe bumping passengers who they think don't work and can easily move their cruise. 

7 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

Maybe distance from port has nothing to do with this passenger being bumped. Maybe it has to do with age.  RC maybe bumping passengers who they think don't work and can easily move their cruise. 

Doesn't mean that they don't have other obligations.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Booking a Gty in England is exactly the same as booking a Gty in the USA.

I suspect cabins have had to be taken out of use. It’s easier to move those with no allocated cabin. Has there been plumbing issues reported? 

Its the first cruise after school holidays end isn’t it so more likely to be filled with older retired demographic who are more flexible with their time? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, little britain said:

Its the first cruise after school holidays end isn’t it so more likely to be filled with older retired demographic who are more flexible with their time? 

500 less passengers on our cruise as most cabins only accommodated 2 passengers instead of 3/4 ie families.

Never ever heard so many Alpha calls on a cruise. 

We arrived in Tenerife from Gran Canaria at 1.45 instead of 7 am to transfer a passenger who had collapsed at Perry’s show,  to hospital.

The ship was met at every port by an ambulance, including Southampton.

27 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

........a passenger who had collapsed at Perry’s show,  to hospital.

If it's the Perry that used to be on Celebrity then I can understand why they collapsed. He is a horrible entertainer as far as I'm concerned.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

500 less passengers on our cruise as most cabins only accommodated 2 passengers instead of 3/4 ie families.

Never ever heard so many Alpha calls on a cruise. 

We arrived in Tenerife from Gran Canaria at 1.45 instead of 7 am to transfer a passenger who had collapsed at Perry’s show,  to hospital.

Not wanting to sound ageist but having done only one cruise leaving Southampton we were surprised at the very much higher age of a lot of passengers, so many in mobility scooters. Good for them still enjoying cruises. We are on our second cruise ex Southampton soon so interesting to see if its the norm